Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy Me & My Vectra - Help :-(

My first post on here, i've spent a while lingering on the forum reading various posts, i finally took the plunge and got myself an 02' Vectra C for over £2,500, she was in good condition 55K on the clock but it had a few issues (sorry for the long post to follow)

I bought the car from a trader in the hope i'd be protected if things were to go wrong....( how wrong could i be?)

I checked the car over with the trader, i had a few issues i noted at the time (mostly no working door controls, no blower motor no wipers... sound farmilliar?). I was assured it was because, according to the generic diagnostic the traders mechanic used, there was a low volt warning so that must be why things arent working. Bought the car, told to give it a good run to charge the battery, drove it home only to find more faults

The exhaust was blowing, engine 'ticking' under power (cracked manifold) water in the boot (perished aerial rubber) and a few other things. Called the trader who then didnt seem to happy to hear about it, arranged to take the car back to 'get it looked at' as well as have its MOT re-issued in a few days time.

Before that i took it to a garage that has been doing my cars for ages to attempt to get it serviced, their assessment threw up more defects this also included their opinion that the exhaust was unlikely to pass an MOT.

I took the car back to the trader with my list of problems, their attitude changed for the bad again, they had the car for four days to try and get it past its MOT re-test (which it failed, in house twice..)

I then came to collect it today to find only the essentials on my list had been looked at for it to pass the MOT (excluding the exhaust), and the orange advisory section of the MOT had a long list on it. I had been told over the phone the replacement blower motor + wiper motor were new, only to find they were refurbs with no guarentee, as well as the 'new headlight' (needed for the MOT) which turned out to be the origional one which had been mended with adhesive (i was told this was part the delay as the front bumper had to come off to replace the unit). I was also assured the exhaust would be patched, not replaced, when i called to check their progress. when i checked, nothing had been done to it at all while its not a bad split it creates a lot of noise around 2,000rpm and the manifold makes a nasty sounding ticking noise. I pleaded with them from the outset to address the rear seat as its base was not secured at all, this was left alone as well.

After checking the car over i queried the points with the trader who at this point became very aggressive stating he had spent a fortune on the car to fix the points mentioned and had no intention of spending another penny on it, the car passed it's MOT and is therefore safe, what more could i expect from a 7 year old car, end of story.

I really dont know what to do from here, im not happy with all the faults, im looking at ~ £1,000 to get everything put right and up to scratch. Im still within the 14 days 'cooling off' period. I'm just worried as the traders aggression on our last meeting made it clear he has no intention of doing anything more to correct the problems, i suspect any attempt to reject the car won't end happilly.

Sorry for the long long post.... With hindsight (and knowlage gained from here after the fact) I should have walked away

Any help at all would be really appreciated

Cheers

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trading standards mate - give them a call and explain situation. You've given the dealer ample opportunity to sort it out as it plainly wasn't fit for sale. They'll tell you where to go from there...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Penfold, I will give them call in the morning and keep every one posted.

Really appreciate the reponse

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you don't mind me asking, what method of payment did you use?

I would also put your problems in writing to the trader via recorded delivery so you have a paper trail in case this has to go further. Get as much as you can in writing and keep everything relating to it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

Can I assume that you have not got any previous history and MOT's for the car...55k miles on a 2002 car!! Rings alarm bells for me.
    The car should be virtually just running in at that mileage.
    My car ( 1994 Cav III) has 212k miles on it, and usually costs me approx £100 for the MOT including any jobs required....
    £1000 of repairs would for me, be a reason to write a car off!!

I do hope that you didn't pay cash!!.
    Take the car back and demand your money back, as the car is obviously "Not fit for purpose"
    You have fulfilled your side of the bargain...you have allowed him ample opportunity to fix the car, but he refuses to do so.
    He is therefore in breach of his part of the bargain / contract of sale.

May be time to contact the C.A.B.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys, im honestly greatful for your replies

unfortunatly i paid with my debit card ... i really am learning this stuff the hard way

-IT Gets better....

I took a look at the MOT certificates.... I then had a look at the guide from Vaux-Man-G (THANKYOU). I did a check with VOSA using the reg plate and MOT number... look what i found can someone help me understand this?

- (I have removed key details such as recent garage and full reg...for now)

You asked for test history information for vehicle registration M*52**K. You provided test number 44090928920- to confirm that you had a legitimate interest in the vehicle. If you do not have a legitimate interest in the vehicle you must destroy the document. This information is correct at 21/10/2009.There are later tests for this Vehicle under a more recent Test Number or DVLA Reference Number

Most Recent Vehicle Details and Test Summary applicable to this test number.Registration mark:M*52**K
    Make/Model:VAUXHALL / VECTRA
    Colour:SILVERVIN/
    Chassis No:W0L0ZCF683800334*
    Approximate date of first use:21/10/2002Type of fuel:Petrol

Date of test:16/10/2009Certificate issue refused (Fail)
    Odometer reading:56,938 Miles
    Test number:44090928920-

Full Test History, starting with first recorded vehicle and test results

Registration mark:Make/Model:VAUXHALL / VECTRAColour:SILVERVIN/Chassis No:Approximate date of first use:21/10/2002Type of fuel:Petrol

Date of test:20/10/2005Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:97,633 Miles
    Test number:774593995240
    Test station name:-
    Test station number:
    Test station telephone number:
    Test class:IV
    Test expiry date:21/10/2006No Advisory Notice issued

Date of test:20/02/2007Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:133,770
    MilesTest number:764291057034
    Test station number:
    Test expiry date:19/02/2008
    Advisory Notice issuedWindscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)Play developing in inner ball joint of nearside steering tie rod

Change of detailsMake/Model:VAUXHALL / VECTRA LS 16V recorded at time of test on 20/02/2007

Date of test:19/02/2008Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:144,227 Miles
    Test number:340690058092
    Test station number:Test station telephone number:
    Test class:IVTest expiry date:19/02/2009
    Advisory Notice issuedRear centre seat belt stuck not unwinding

Date of test:23/12/2008Certificate issue refused (Fail)
    Odometer reading:52,765 Miles
    Test number:714438858330
    Test station number:
    Test class:IVReason(s) for refusal to issue CertificateNearside Front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)Offside Front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.D.1)Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.D.1)Advisory Notice issuedExhaust corroded and slightly blowing from rear

Date of test:23/12/2008Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:52,765 Miles
    Test number:390618758333
    Test station name:
    Test station number:
    Test class:IVTest expiry date:22/12/2009Advisory Notice issuedExhaust corroded and slightly blowing from rear

Date of test:12/09/2009Certificate issue refused (Fail)
    Odometer reading:55,929 Miles
    Test number:293235459266T
    est station name:---
    Test station number:---T
    est station telephone number:---
    Test class:IVReason(s) for refusal to issue CertificateNearside Rear Coil spring fractured (2.4.C.1a)Offside Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)Nearside front to rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)Offside front to rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.D.1)Both Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)Advisory Notice issuedSteering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1b)Nearside Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.D.1)Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1f)Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1f)Front Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

Change of detailsMake/Model:VAUXHALL / VECTRA recorded at time of test on 12/09/2009

Date of test:16/10/2009Certificate issue refused (Fail)
    Odometer reading:56,938
    MilesTest number:44090928920-
    Test station name:--
    Test station number:--
    Reason(s) for refusal to issue CertificateNearside Stop lamp obviously incorrectly positioned (1.3.2f)Nearside Headlamp insecure (1.2.4b)Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1.6)Nearside Steering arm has relative movement at its fixings (2.2.B.1h)Offside Steering arm has relative movement at its fixings (2.2.B.1h)Both Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)Advisory Notice issuedNearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1f)Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)Front Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)Air bag warning lamp onIn car headlamp adjuster not workingOffside front possition lamp output reducedWindscreen wipers only operate on one speed

This completes the test history for the above vehicle as recorded on VOSA's MOT Computerisation Database Best Printed in Landscape.

- Is this really saying what i think it is? the car came with limited Service history

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That it's done at least 150K miles, and has failed the current MoT twice...

It also wasn't MoT'd during 2006 - about 16 months pass between tests...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My friend your car looks to be clocked

Also from front to back the car seems to have issues, you must press for a full refund. Get in contact with citizens advice.
    Last edited by byebyeitsagsi; 21st October 2009 at 23:23.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looks like like you have been poked with astick mate..

trade and standard will resolve the issues you have..by the way 14days means nothing..the 'trader' is responsible for the sold vehicle for upto 6 months after the sale even with 1 months warranty(which means nothing)

You have the right to claim back full expenses and a full refund

car seems to have done excess of 150k miles..so more than likely been clocked!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks again for all the replies, its really helping me out here.

Its worth pointing out that (unfortunatly for me) the odo descrepency took place at the garage before these chaps got their hands on it

I can only think that either this outfit were sent down the path like me, or they had a service history but disposed of it so as to cover up the 90 or so thousand miles that seem to have vanished

Its interesting about the recent MOT failures. Originally I was just going to take the car in to have some previous MOT failures sorted (according to them) and to have the car re-tested. Then, after producing the list of defects, they decided to MOT it anyway, which of course it failed. Then for some reason they would fix one item miss another then fail it again. Not so bad but considdering they do their MOT's in house...

I get the impression this car has the potential to spawn a wonderful lemon tree

Where do i stand now? im visiting CAB tomorrow to get their take on things.. will keep you all posted

Thank you

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information