The story begins.... For a couple of weeks my 1.8 53reg veccy was overcooling (about 70 degrees 20 with heaters on) also occasional top up coolant warning but coolant was not low on cold.
the return from rad was high pressure on start up so i assumed the stat was gone i had to change housing and temp sensor as one unit £40 changed refilled and bled heater matrix as per haynes fired her up and happy days.. NOT. now no register from temp gauge and engine warning light and car with spanner light on. i did find the wire to sensors had melted slightly but dont think shorted so insulated on refiiting. There were no engine warning light s prior to new stat. have tried plugging in old sensor but lights remain on even with old sensor also engine now idles at around 1250rpm not just under 1000 as before. or rad fan on i have tried to do manual code read and does not seem to flash any codes, have tried battery off overnight and still no joy... PLEASE save me from the hands of £35+labour stealers to read codes...