Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Default Autotrader rant

For the past two weeks, I've been trying to find my daughter a cheap sub £1000 car. Here's the rant.....

I've phoned several so called "traders" (the ones with a mobile no. and no landline) just to ask where the car is within our 20 search radius and not one has phoned back. OK, so this isn't really AT's fault, just dumb sellers.

Or (again not AT's fault), ask if the car has any major dents, told no, but on viewing the car, most panels are damaged in some way.

You see a car that fits the bill, ring up, only to be told it's been sold a week ago. So why is it still on A Trader? AT's fault or the sellers?

Even today, there's cars that I've been told were sold 10 days ago still appearing on A Trader.

Give me strength.......

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is how the dealers get people through the door in an attempt to "upsell"
    sorry its sold but we have another .......
    no dents - they werent there when i looked sorry can i interest you in.......

had similar issues looking for the signum drove 80 miles (160 round trip)to look at a do dents - immaculate 2.0 design ...
    it had the boot section of the roof EATEN by a large dog
    every panel was dented the rear lights were loose
    3 tyres were flat ....and the battery was flat (they knew i was coming for a test drive ) and the interior was so wet that mould was growing on the seat belts......

and another issue when we looked at a st24 estate from a main ford dealer drove 160 miles (320 round trip) to find the the vehicle had a death rattle on the bottom of the engine (knowing that these engines are as rare as hens teeth) the dealer apologies profusely and gave me the cash for a tank of fuel for the wasted trip ....

so i feel your "pain and anger" but hopefully the right car will come along soon

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Im with you here guy's.

I am searching for a small motor for the misses, and I have rang loads in the last week and I would say 65% of them have a hidden past.

I have now had 3 where the miles are incorrect (thanks VOSA) and have the rest are either owned by idiots who wont tell the truth or are Written off in the past, and I am only being advised when asked, although dealers must advise of this to prospective buyers.

Tw4ts!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If I look on AutoTrader now and search for cars within a 10 mile radius of me it brings up cars from a certain garage...

Funny how that garage got knocked down 3 years ago and the land is now a block of flats?!

It is annoying though. Mind you, last year I bought a 52plate Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, I travelled 60miles to see it; I rang the garage up before I went and I just said to the bloke "Look, i'm travelling 60 miles, its nearly rush hour its gonna get busy, is there anything about the car I need to know because i'll be ****ed off if theres stuff you ain't told me"

There was a slight dent at the bottom of one of the rear doors which he told me about (wasnt noticeable on the pics) and he mentioned the stonechips on the bonnet (silver car so not too bad; 126k car so expected) so there are some honest traders out there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i have also found a/trader to be a bit of a pain in the ass! cars sold but still advertised is annoying, although not sure if this is because you maybe pay to advertise it for a certain length of time regardless of wether or not the vehicle has been sold. a lot of "private" ads also turn out to be traders, thats why when i ring i always ask.."have you still got the car for sale?" when they ask which one you know they are a trader, i also ask them to confirm the price and when they ask where i've seen it advertised this too indicates that they are a trader who will usually have it advertised somewhere else at a different price, i.e on a forecourt!
    there seems to be a lot of what would appear to be scams on a/trader recently, i found a bmw 320d on a 58plate facelift model with 17,000 on the clock for £11450....? no mention of being on the register or damaged repaired? you can't tell me thats genuine?

i also know from experience that the picture you see is not always the car thats being sold....and that IS autotraders fault....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

I agree with all the above. What I'm peed off with, and I guess it's a fact of life these days, is although the advert says "trader", it's 9 times out of 10, somebody flogging one or two cars from their home address. No landline number rings alarm bells with me - any genuine "trader" wouldn't mind putting their landline AND mobile up. So after you've bought your new motor, mobile goes dead - no comeback !! Yes, there probably are good sellers out there with only a mobile no., but the numpties aren't doing the good guys any favours. So I tar everyone with same brush I'm afraid and when a nice fella turns up it's a bonus.

And another thing (sorry to go on), the cars I'm interested in (KA, Fiesta, Corsa etc..) have some dodgy photos. Why show 4 shots of just the right hand side of car? Cos the left side is totalled? Or the phone call that goes like "well we're only a small set up and we keep our cars at another site but we can get it here to show you". Twaddle or what?

Went to see a KA 5 miles away today after some interogation of a foreign sounding woman on the phone. Got the address, drove to the plot and saw the car sitting there in a very sorry state. Drove past it once, drove past it twice and then drove home. Total poo!! And this was after the seller saying how good it was.

I rest my case and my quest continues with a daughter pestering me 24/7 .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be honest when i use the auto trader i generaly look for the private ads only and avoid the traders, you tend to get a decent idea if the car will be o.k with a quick phonecall to check out if the owner is halfway "compus mentus" and the cars in an acceptable area ect etc

The traders have jacked up prices, tarted up nasty motors and warrenty's which arent worth the paper its written on........AVOID!

Just be calm and measured and you will find a genuine private sale bargain.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Basically if you sell more then a couple of cars during a certain period of time then autotrader put you up as a trader and give you discounts and stuff..I remember Alll my mates who ever brought and sold cars, we always used one autotrader account because whats the point if we dont even use the internet much...and got put up as a trader even tho where private sellers who keep the car for a year or so then sell it and buy another..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 120bhp

Year : 2004

Mileage : 139,600

on autotrader i have seen 2 scams,one actualy said do not phone but send an email to a gmail account.
    when you are phoning an ad on autotrader be wary of 070 phone numbers,these are not mobile phone numbers,they will cost you upto £1 a minute

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by John-SRi View Post
    If I look on AutoTrader now and search for cars within a 10 mile radius of me it brings up cars from a certain garage...

Funny how that garage got knocked down 3 years ago and the land is now a block of flats?!
    Because the auto market is in such a state, they'll be "filling out" the Autotrader to make it seem worth buying.
    I mean.... would you buy AT if it were half the size?

The tactic stinks, but if they didn't do it, they'd be out of business in no time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information