User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Handbrake adjust

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Motherwell Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Handbrake adjust

    Had a look at this yesterday on my 56reg, 1.9cdti hatch, is this a strip out job for the plastic consol to get at the adjuster? My handbrake is pulling up about 7 notches to hold, pads are OK.

  2. #2
    Regular Member signum03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the cable is self adjusting, so it will need renewing. or, have you checked rear pads(both sides) if well worn this will effect the handbrake travel, if pads are fine then its definatly the cable, to do this you need to remove centre console, remove centre pipe of exhaust(maybe heat shiled also), its a tricky job to do with a jack, mine needs doing, usually i carry out repairs my self, but i think i will leave this to dealer, price around £150 (stealers).hope this helps

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been having trouble with the hand-brake for the last several months...Our car is a 55 reg Facelift Club - Z18XE - the hand brake recall mod was done about 18 months ago..problem is the self/auto adjustment is fine 7/8 times out of 10 applications of the handbrake, but 1 or 2times out of 10 it appears to 'slacken - off ' & the handbrake travels fully up to the stop. I've decided to remove the rear centre console, also the handbrake button & trim to see what's happening with the auto adjustment mechanism when applying the handbrake...I plan to take some pictures for information and post'em.... in due course...cheers for now...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Below is a post on another thread to do with handbrake problems giving my experience.....

    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...94&postcount=3

    I got the rear centre console removed to check the operation of the self/auto handbrake adjustment in line with the Haynes Manual information and took some pictures of what was underneath.

    Looks like some kind of adjustment is possible in these pictures...does anybody know if the brown coloured hexagonal rod is actually the operating rod that connects with the handbrake cable under the car???
    Any comments will be much appreciated....






    I also planned to strip off the handbrake lever trim...ie release button, grip and lower plastic trim panel, to check the replacement spring fitted by our local Vx dealer Bristol Street motors 18 months ago as part of the recall. I removed the release button OK , but have struggled with the grip and lower plastic trim , which I assume must have been removed to fit the replacement spring kit by the dealership. They couldn't get to it otherwise, I also took some pictures of where I got to.....highlighting the pivots which seem to prevent the trim & grip sliding forward to reveal what's underneath.....









    p

    Again any comments on removing the plastic lower trim pivots would be appreciated, after all the VXl teckies apparently change the relase button spring in 20 minutes or less so we are told, so they can't be stripping out the complete handbrake assembly in that tim...can they?????

    hope they are of interest to some of you with Handbrake isssues....

    Cheers for now.....

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tony,

    Did you get anywhere with your handbrake auto-adjustment issue?

    I've been told mine isn't working and so needs the handbrake lever assembly to be replaced. I'm sure the part won't be cheap and the job won't be quick as you have to remove the whole exhaust and heatshield, so I'm looking for information before I decide what to do.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James24 View Post
    Tony,

    Did you get anywhere with your handbrake auto-adjustment issue?

    I've been told mine isn't working and so needs the handbrake lever assembly to be replaced. I'm sure the part won't be cheap and the job won't be quick as you have to remove the whole exhaust and heatshield, so I'm looking for information before I decide what to do.

    Thanks.
    Sorry James.. no further progress so far....

    The Haynes manual suggests that plastic lower plastic trim 'unclips' from the lever but still pondering the problem of how much force to apply to it to pop 'em out without cracking the trim panel ....so I can check all the mechanism movements at the handbrake lever end myself....I've tried once but they wouldn't budge gave up that time as I daren't try harder...

    MOT arranged Saturday pm ...look like keeping my fingers crossed and hope it works properly at that time and passes giving me a bit more breathing space to get to the bottom of the problem....I've read/noted all the suggestions on the forum but I find it incredible that after only 4 years from new & less than 40K miles, the whole handbrake lever assembly/mechanism may need replacing....there must be a cheaper alternative solution but no one on here seems to have found it yet.....apart from replacing everything....

    No comments on the pictures I posted showing what looked like some sort of adjustment mechanism, what it did or was for, or that some sort of manual adjustment might be possible...only that it cannot be manually adjusted...

    I sprayed the operating levers at the caliper end with WD40 then White spray grease in case the pivots were 'sticking' - one suggestion from the forum, but only a slight reduction in the number if times full travel occured...Rear pads appear to be even on each side & to be hardly worn in 12 months...( Ferodo Premier Pads).

    There seemed to be 'plenty of tension' in the lever return springs at the caliper end, but may check 'em again tomorrow weather willing...

    I also intended to try and spray WD40 and white spray grease onto the operating rod, equaliser bar and cable clevis pin in case they were 'sticking/stiff' stopping them pivoting properly when the handbrake is applied & released but as you know they are above the heat shield and access is difficult...a case of being at'KN4CKERED' at accessing 'em always round....may be they are OK, shielded from the cr4p thrown up from the wheels..I don't know for sure...

    Anyway mate, thanks for the interest....been away since yesterday and only just picked up your post....sorry I can't help more at this Stage...

    If I do find out what the problem is I'll post it that's for sure....

    I still put into gear when parking...Cheers

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tony,

    Thanks. I was told today that my handbrake may fail an MOT depending on whether it chooses to auto-adjust properly on the day or not - and it will cost over £200 to fix - £90 for the new handbrake lever assembly and over £100 labour (dealer rate) as you have to remove the exhaust and heatshield!

    Are you trying to remove the plastic trim over the handbrake lever itself? What's under there besides the ratchet mechanism?

    My research also concluded that you can't adjust the handbrake manually in any way - the only thing you can do is to reset it but whether this would improve things or not, I don't know.

    I may try lubricating everything like you have done and see if that makes any difference. I don't suppose it can make it any worse.

    Let me know how you get on with your MOT (good luck!) and what your handbrake investigations reveal and I will do likewise.

    I put it into gear when parking, too!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi James.. the picture below highlights the mechanism I on about..



    Seems to have facilities for adjustment of some sort...what?????

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
    Hi James.. the picture below highlights the mechanism I on about..

    Seems to have facilities for adjustment of some sort...what?????

    Cheers
    A very good question - I noticed that as well but it doesn't seem to be mentioned by Haynes or Vauxhall.

    I think the auto-adjust mechanism is part of the mechanism that sits in the black plastic recess in the middle of your picture and disappears under the floor.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Wingfield, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
    Sorry James.. no further progress so far....

    The Haynes manual suggests that plastic lower plastic trim 'unclips' from the lever but still pondering the problem of how much force to apply to it to pop 'em out without cracking the trim panel ....so I can check all the mechanism movements at the handbrake lever end myself....I've tried once but they wouldn't budge gave up that time as I daren't try harder...

    MOT arranged Saturday pm ...look like keeping my fingers crossed and hope it works properly at that time and passes giving me a bit more breathing space to get to the bottom of the problem....I've read/noted all the suggestions on the forum but I find it incredible that after only 4 years from new & less than 40K miles, the whole handbrake lever assembly/mechanism may need replacing....there must be a cheaper alternative solution but no one on here seems to have found it yet.....apart from replacing everything....

    No comments on the pictures I posted showing what looked like some sort of adjustment mechanism, what it did or was for, or that some sort of manual adjustment might be possible...only that it cannot be manually adjusted...

    I sprayed the operating levers at the caliper end with WD40 then White spray grease in case the pivots were 'sticking' - one suggestion from the forum, but only a slight reduction in the number if times full travel occured...Rear pads appear to be even on each side & to be hardly worn in 12 months...( Ferodo Premier Pads).

    There seemed to be 'plenty of tension' in the lever return springs at the caliper end, but may check 'em again tomorrow weather willing...

    I also intended to try and spray WD40 and white spray grease onto the operating rod, equaliser bar and cable clevis pin in case they were 'sticking/stiff' stopping them pivoting properly when the handbrake is applied & released but as you know they are above the heat shield and access is difficult...a case of being at'KN4CKERED' at accessing 'em always round....may be they are OK, shielded from the cr4p thrown up from the wheels..I don't know for sure...

    Anyway mate, thanks for the interest....been away since yesterday and only just picked up your post....sorry I can't help more at this Stage...

    If I do find out what the problem is I'll post it that's for sure....

    I still put into gear when parking...Cheers
    Hi James....

    Pleased to say that the handbrake behaved itself during the MOT and the car passed.. & the brake tests - footbrake & handbrake all passed and within the parameters required... , No issues with the rear suspension bushes or the front...

    So I've now got time to further investigate the bl***y handbrake problem...

    Cheers for now...

    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Handbrake? is it self adjust?
    By dave1419 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th February 2013, 12:31
  2. How to adjust handbrake after fitting new pads
    By dannycturbo in forum Suspension, Wheels & Brakes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th October 2011, 23:18
  3. how do i adjust my headlights??
    By bangty 1 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th October 2010, 16:41
  4. Help please, how to adjust the headlights
    By PeterVV in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th October 2010, 21:10
  5. Clock adjust
    By johnny1983 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28th October 2009, 18:12

Visitors found this page by searching for:

vectra c handbrake adjustment

vectra c handbrake adjuster

vectra handbrake adjustment

vauxhall vectra handbrake adjustment

vauxhall vectra c handbrake adjustmentvectra c handbrakehow to adjust vectra c handbrakevectra c handbrake self adjusterhow to adjust handbrake on vectra cvectra c handbrake resetvectra c handbrake cable adjustmentsignum handbrake adjustmentopel vectra c handbrake adjustmenthow do you adjust the handbrake on a vectra cvauxhall vectra self adjusting handbrakehow to tighten handbrake on vectra copel vectra handbrake adjustervauxhall vectra 2007 handbrake adjustmentvauxhall signum handbrake adjustmentadjust vectra c handbrakeadjust handbrake vectra c2005 vectra handbrake adjustmentvectra c handbrake problemhttps:www.vectra-c.comforumshowthread.php93355-Handbrake-adjusthow to adjust handbrake on vauxhall vectra c

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •