Thread: Interview Tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Interview Tips

I have secured an interview on Monday after sending 1 CV on line, this will be my first interview in 10 years

Any tips, hints ..... help

I learn on Thursday my redundancy fate, but to be honest think its the kick up the ass i need

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have not long got myself a job and I dressed up in a suit with shiny shoes, tried to talk without swearing and properly and asked loads of questions about everything and anything.
    It worked for me and thinking about it all the jobs I have had interviews for has ended with me getting the job.
    Goodluck and hope all goes well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, firstly good luck.

I had to have a few interviews after working for myself for 20 years, bit of
    a shock to the system.. I had NEVER had a interview before.

I was told by friends who have had more experience than me was to, think
    positive, be yourself, be honest (but you might have to bend the rules a little),
    look up on the companies website as much as you can and work out some
    questions that you can ask that are relevent to the company.

Don't be late (if you are going to be late the phone ahead), walk into the room
    thinking `head-up, chest out', some people who conduct interviews have made the choice BEFORE you reach the chair??.

Gazza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Pinman........... am away to google them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Be prepared for the question "what can you offer us?"

After all, if you've done your homework, you'll know all about the company and what the employer has to offer but what can you do for them?

In many jobs, "people buy people", so if you click or gel with the interviewers, you stand a fighting chance.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not sure how relevent this will be but the company I work for use Structured interviews.

Many larger organisations use this type of interview now for various reasons. I've been the interviewer many times and had five interviews for my current role.

This best explanation of a structured/criteria based interview I could find quickly was here: http://www.uea.ac.uk/ccen/applicatio...t.shtml#styles

Structured interviews are about preparation and giving yourself time to think at the interview itself. We don't look for the candidate who gives the quickest answer. We look for the one that gives the best kinda thing.

If the interview is an informal unstructured one I think it still helps to be clear on what you can bring to their Business and why they should hire you over everyone else that they see that day or week.

Remember too that the interviewer(s) are under pressure to make sure that the best person for the role does not slip through their fingers. It's not an easy task to do. They will be looking for reasons to take you on so give them as many clues as possible that you are the right person.

Best of luck whatever the type of interview is.

One other thing. Don't slag off your current employer (even if they deserve it). Probably teaching you to suck eggs but that goes down like a lead ballon. Plenty of time to do that after you get the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI160

Year : 2012

It's all been said in thread already really, but just don't worry about it and don't get nervous. It's nothing to be afraid of - sometimes you'll get a snobby git interviewing you, but give good honest answers and it's no problem. If you don't get the job, what the hell hey. You tried.
    And if they ask that one mentioned above "what can you offer us" my answer would be "look at the CV" and just elaborate on that - if you have plenty of experience in the type of work you're applying for.
    Last edited by Hideous; 4th October 2009 at 00:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As already said really.

You really need to sell yourself and show a passion for the job (not too over the top though). Research as much as you can into the company and decide why you ARE the best person for the job. Only talk about positive things, even non-job related things should only be positive, nothing negative should be brought up if you can help it. Employers prefer people with positive outlooks; they're interested in solutions, not problems. Be honest though, as there is no point lying about something, then not being able to deliver it further on down the line.

Make sure you know where you're going too. I had an interview once, and the company was in a really unusual location. I went there the day before to familiarise myself with it. It then came up in the interview about if I had any trouble finding the place (he said a quite a few people had been late - I wasn't). When I told him, he was extremly impressed. I did get the job, and always wondered if that made the difference for me.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but good luck anyway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    One other thing. Don't slag off your current employer (even if they deserve it). Probably teaching you to suck eggs but that goes down like a lead ballon. Plenty of time to do that after you get the job.
    Thats easier said than done mate, i worked like a lunatic for this mob, 7am starts, 9pm finishes and always on line with the flippin Moto Q, then i get a " promotion " and then 8 weeks later i am on the redundancy list.....

Did have a few questions for them (HR) and there replies to me were very defensive....... but in their system i have been there for 4 years as a perm employee, i make it 2 only and i received an email from them confirming this , so i will be 7k better off in the redundancy package assuming am happy to sign a compromise agreement

Thread Information