User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: viewig 1997 P reg Astra - what do i look out for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default viewig 1997 P reg Astra - what do i look out for?

I know this is a Vectra forum but I am viewing a P reg 1997 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 D LS tonight for 2nd car for back and forth to work - What things should I look out for? Are there any common faults problems I should look out for?

It has 142,000 miles on clock, has had cambelt changed at 138,000 miles. Looks in good cond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

here is a review http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=42

other info from mk3oc.com

Suspension:

Front suspension - the front suspension on these cars is the same as that fitted to the MK3 Cavalier and Calibra. The main problems are from the rear bush on the wishbone which is notorious for splitting (especially on lowered cars). Also check for jacking on the wishbone as this damages the wishbone.

Suspension top mounts that are cracked is normal - as long as it is not splitting from the metal, it'll be ok and is reasonablty simple to replace anyway

Listen for a knocking noise from underneath, this will probably be and anti roll bar link, this sits just behind the front wheels so easy to check.

With high mileage cars dampers may start to feel soggy, especially on early 1992 cars as these had soft dampers, Vauxhall upgraded the dampers on the 1993 onward cars which made them slightly stiffer, but again these feel soggy at high mileage.

Bodywork:

The main area to look for rust (as with most Vauxhalls), is around the rear wheel arch's. Due to their design mud and water collect on the inside and they rust from the inside out. The only real cure for this is replacement rear arch's which costs a lot to put right. Also look for rust around the bottom of the tailgate and around the black panel situated between the rear lights, as well as just below the window rubbers on the edge of the doors.

One known problem is for the sunroof is for the rubber to perish around it, check for damp seats and any staining of the headlining, this is expensive to sort as it requires a full sunroof as rubbers cant be replaced individually.

Thread Information