Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Seized rear calipers or not

Hi need some help with my 03 vectra 2.0dti Ive had a very annoying rattle from the o/s rear whhel for about 5 weeks firstly I had the rear pads changed as they needed doing then after couple of days I noticed the rattle I thought it was the heat shield so had it bolted back on. Took it back to garage to be checked over had all suspension checked all seemed fine no one person could find the rattle but was convinced it was the brakes so took thw wheel of and noticed that the inside pad was loose as I could move it by using my fingers so came to conclusion it was this pad that was rattling as when pressure applied to brake it goes away. So once again back to garage and was told the calipers were seized on both sides but i,m not so sure how can I be certain of this what could I check I,m not very clued up on cars so dont want to be ripped of for £200 that was quoted to me for the work when it could just be the pad thats came loose from the piston
    Thanks in advance
    Del

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

I does sound like one or both of the rear calipers is seized. The calipers adjust accordingly as the pad wears so that the pad is sitting millimetres from the disc. There shouldn't be enough room for the pad to rattle if they are working correctly hope that helps

South Wales Assistant Regional Organiser davidjameswest's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have they put the rear pads in the right way round as the anti rattle clip needs to be on the inside pad, some times when you get a cheap set of pads they do rattle as the fit isnt that good, try a another set of pads as thats what prob i had with mine after buying cheap pads of ebay

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi when i asked the guy who fitted the pads about the anti rattle clips he asked me what I was talking about telling me that they dont have any. as far as I know the inside pad fits onto the piston groove to hold it in place so I said this to him that I thought the pad had maybe slipped from the groove causing it to rattle he seemed a bit annoyed that with me when I asked him to remove the caliper and check that it hadnt slipped but ofcoure he refused to do this and so he tells me the callipers had seized and this was causing the problem. Surely if the pad was still attached to the piston it still shoudln.t move about inside the calliper to the extent that it is .is there any test I could do to check if the callipers had seized . I would of course take the callipers of and check pads but as I dont have the tool to wind pistin back i,m relying on my mechanic.
    Thanks to all
    Any help is much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OH forgot to mention the pads are ferodo make

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is the type I have installed but there is no clip on mine like the picture shows should this be there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The inside rear pads used to have a clip on the back which fastened them to the recessed ring that runs round the end of the caliper.

The newer inside rear pads have the spring on the edge instead - the one in your picture - which braces the pad against the inside of the caliper.

You need one or the other to keep the inside pads located correctly - what you have depends how long the pads you have bought have been sitting around, although I wouldd have thought that the old-style ones are no longer avilable by now.

They are inter-changeable so you can take off an old-style set and put on a new-style set.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks to all once again I have since been to my local vauxhall dealer who have advised me of this and had explained that the clip is def needed so why this guy at the garge was telling me it was not required I dont know also why would he tell me that the top groove where the clip is placed is for pad wear sensor (rear pads) as I,m told do not have sensors Guess I wont be dealing with him again and telling me both callipers had seized. All I need to do now is to loacate these clips as Vauxhall dont sell them without the pads And also they were cheper for thier pads than the local guy ....Still need advise as on how to check if the calipers have
    Once again many thanks to all of you all your comments are much appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't think you will be able to buy the spring clips without pads attached. You'll have to find the ones that came with your pads, swap the pads you bought for ones with springs, or buy some new pads.

There is a similar recess in the front pads that holds the brake pad wear sensor on the nearside wheel.

BEFORE you start to check the rear calipers note that the rear caliper pistons SCREW in and out because they also operate the handbrake. If you try to push it back in, you'll be in real trouble. You can get proper caliper piston windback tool like the one below, make your own, or try your luck with something like thin-nose pliers.

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=518&item=3788

To check that your caliper piston moves, you will need to remove the pads and then check that the caliper slides and also operate the footbrake to move the piston out. Remove the brake fluid filler cap to allow the caliper pistion to be screwed back in more easily (using one of the methods above) but keep an eye on the fluid level so it doesn't overflow.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does anyone know if the 2003 SRI 2.2DTI has the same brakes? Mine rattle like a ******* since they were replaced, and I'm told they don't have springs on the inside pads, just the outside spring which is visible even with the wheels on......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information