Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Common Torx Sizes on Vectra 1.8

Hi,

Looking to do pads/discs this weekend but didnt realise till now i need a torx socket! Just wondering if the Vectra C 2003 1.8 has a lot of torx bits and if this would cover all of them?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...kets-tool-sets

However if im not going to use it much I might aswell just buy the socket by itself for £3.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm gonna do the two upper control arms this Saturday on mine, I've read the How2 and bought an E20 socket, but going through the discussion side I've seen one of the related bolts is an E18, so I'll be popping into Halfrauds on the way home to get that too.

But would be handy to know if the rest of the car uses other sizes, although a man can never have too many tools and adaptors....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by yoclick View Post
    Hi,

Looking to do pads/discs this weekend but didnt realise till now i need a torx socket! Just wondering if the Vectra C 2003 1.8 has a lot of torx bits and if this would cover all of them?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...kets-tool-sets

However if im not going to use it much I might aswell just buy the socket by itself for £3.

Cheers
    That set is 1/4" and 3/8" drive by the looks of it - you aren't going to shift many of the larger E18/20 bolts around the car - like the ones that hold the brake caliper brackets to the hub assembly that you have to remove to replace the brake disks - with that. Those bolts can be a struggle with a 1/2" drive on a 2-foot breaker bar. I would suggest that you consider getting the larger sockets in a 1/2" driver - like the set below - instead/as well. A set of convertors and UJ's is handy as well - link below as well.

Machine Mart do breaker bars as well but only up to 18" now for some reason.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...pce-tx-bit-set

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...43-7pc-joint-a

If you are replacing the brake disks than I presume that you have bought enough new caliper mounting brackets and some thread locking fluid...
    Last edited by James24; 24th September 2009 at 16:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers mate!

Caliper mounting brackets? If you mean the bolts, then I did enquire at Vauxhall who said £15 PER BOLT! Over £100 for the whole set. Having read on here that if you clean up the old bolts well there is no real need to go and purchase new ones. And yes I do have thread lock.

Im just wondering if the Vectra has a lot of Torx sockets / bits because I really do not have any. So if it does have a lot of them then I'll buy a set, otherwise I'll just get the individual socket I need for now. I was just wondering if that set would cover most of torx bolts on the Veccy?

If it does then I'll probs go out and get a 1/2" E20 if the 3/8" in the set fails on me.

Thanks for the links! I'll probs get the adaptor kit (already got an old 1/2" torque wrench which I just use as a breaker bar now!)
    Last edited by yoclick; 24th September 2009 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, I meant the bolts not the brackets. The dealers often seem to get the wrong ones - they are only £1-something each. I did replace them myself because both TIS and Haynes say to do it. Mine had been on there for 4 or 5 years under quite a lot of pressure (I guess), so I thought it best to start again with new ones that themselves could be on there for some years.

There's 2 caliper bracket-to-hub mounting bolts on each brake - and the 4 at the front are different from the 4 at the back. They are different head sizes as well - I think the front are E20 and the rear are E18, but it's a while since I did mine so check first - you could be in trouble if you damage the heads!

They have a specific torque as well, as do the ones that hold the brake calipers to the caliper mounting brackets.

Most of the bolts on the Vectra are Torx (as per all current Vauxhalls). There are a few hex ones dotted about where they haven't been able to use Torx ones for some reason.

The Machine Mart kit I suggested would be a good starting 'E' Torx set. I have a similar Franklin set. Also, some of the Torx sockets on the Vectra are 'T' Torx, so you will need another set of sockets for those...

'E' Torx are where the socket fits over the head of the bolt, and 'T' Torx are where the socket fits inside the head of the bold (like an Allen key).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

LoL £15 down to £1! I'll give them a call again tomorrow but I'll call another dealer instead ;-).

Yeah I read E20 front, E18 back and some have managed to get the rear discs off without remove the carrier bolts. Sweet! Also checked the torques, I believe 230nm odd for fronts, and 130nm for rears, but thats just off the top of my head. I'll have the proper figures when im doing the work!

Cheers, I might just get the ones you listed then. I was only interested in the one in my link because it also includes some male heads including T45 which I need for the sump plug. But i can always get that seperatly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The partcodes for the hub to caliper mounting bracket bolts for my car are below. Your dealer will need to check that these are the right ones for your car. You need 4 of each depending on which disks you are replacing.

Front: 4 of 93171511 at £1.36 each
    Rear: 4 of 93171776 at £0.72 each

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm, I was given another P/N: 90297771 @ £15 a pop. Autovaux also quoted £8odd each. And at 8 bolts = £70 im not sure!

Will try again at the dealer and will ask about the P/N you gave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

LoL James your right! They gave me the prices of the guide pins! Il grab some of them at those prices!

Cheers buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Arghh! I cant seem to get my hands on them! I called lots of motor factors + Vauxhall dealer but none have the damn part for this weekend. Anyone know of any place in Norwich?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information