Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2DTI LIMP MODE + SPANNER + Engine Managment Light

Hi
    Bin gettin the spanner light on the dash for a few days now, but today "limp mode" kicked in on the way home from work! got home, went back out a bit later and the spanner light had gone out but the EML was still on, and limp mode was still on. Then on the way home again spanner and EML were off, and limp mode gone!......Im goin down to London in a week, do you think I need this checkin out or will I make it to London?

Thanks
    Pete

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the same car, and I'm sorry to inform you that you won't make it to London Have a search through the threads on here, after you've checked the intercooler hoses for holes, but even if you get that sorted, your bottom pulley will disintegrate and then your Turbo will fail...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The London journey will be difficult as you have to stop the engine each time to reset the light and it may come on regularly, especially at higher speeds. There's plenty of posts about common causes of this problem here so do a bit of searching. However, you really need to get the fault codes read first, so get this done and then post them on here - people will help you out.

However, you may want to check for some of the common problems with this engine in the meantime as most of them are very quick and easy:

Check all of the vacuum hoses including the rubber end bits for any splits, cracks, or looseness and fix them. Then check all of the airpipes for any craks or splits or loose fittings. Finally, if the fault codes indictae that it needs to be done, clean/replace the boost pressure sensor in the inlet manifold - about £45 from a dealer.

The crankshaft pulley is a totally unrelated issue - it goes when it goes and you'll just have to replace it when it does.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Quote Originally Posted by the scouser View Post
    I have the same car, and I'm sorry to inform you that you won't make it to London Have a search through the threads on here, after you've checked the intercooler hoses for holes, but even if you get that sorted, your bottom pulley will disintegrate and then your Turbo will fail...
    Wow now that's a great way to make someone feel better.

Sounds like either a boost hose or one of the vacum pipes has a split in it somewhere.
    The boost pipes are very prone to splitting due to the high pressures given out by the turbo as they are pretty thin walled. The vacum pipes normally go at the ends i.e where the plastic meets the rubber. It's normally the rubber bit that goes.

Also if you are able to do it yourself its worth cleaning the egr valve as that can give problems like you are having too.

Has the car had the turbo re-calibration work done under re-call by vx? Worth contacting them your local dealer to find out.

As for pulley's disintegrating and turbos failing those are very rare cases especially given how many problems the 1.9CDTi's have

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi guys
    Thanks for the info!, I took the car in this morning and they rang me up a couple of hours later and told me that it was showing up as the Mass Airflow sensor, so its £120 for a new one!, Oh well thats the way it goes.... does anybody know if I will notice any difference in the way the car drives\sounds when they fit the new one? will it make it any quieter?

THanks
    Pete

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I still wouldn't go planning a trip all the way to London in one of these cars with at least being covered for full recovery.... Have a look at some recent threads, as I know I'm not the only one to be suffering... http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85317

eg; "Got my Vectra back. Goes very well now and not a single problem on my 40 miles from work today. MPG had improved, but not much at the moment as I could not stop accelerating. What a pleasure when it pulls! To get mine limp and cut out sortet this is what I had done in the last 5 weeks in total including prices:

1. £60 Top left boost pipe changed (had a small leak) from ebay - no improvement.

2. £300 Full service, new oil, new oil filter, new air filter, tracking, pollen filter 2 new front tyres - no improvement (I change oil with filter every 6000 miles).

3. £100 MOT passed plus EGR valve, exhaust manifold and all pipes checked, found faulty turbo charger.

4. £850 Turbo charger replacement with all 3 gaskets - short lasting improvement (new turbo has made a boost hose to blow and solenoid valve to leak, the old turbo was so weak, they were fine with it).

5. £100 Bottom left boost hose replaced, solenoid valve replaced - finally fine.

In total I spent £1410 on it in the last 5 weeks.
    Excluding tyres and MOT I spent £1110 on directly on mine limp and cut out problem .

I hope this is the end of my rubbish story. " from Luke32

if you have to make the journey, I'd suggest making sure you have a fully charged mobile, some emergency food and drink, and stay out of the fast lane....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi
    Well so far I've had the car 12 months with no issues (apart from this one). It has 49k on the clock, and at the end of June this year I got all the way down to cornwall (from Warrington/Cheshire)and back with absolutley no problems, well impressed doin 56MPG..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi
    Just had the MAP sensor replaced today,, not noticed a dference yet... one thing thats bothering me is the old sensor that they gave me back was caked in oil....considering its a delicate sensor I would have thought this would be bad then the new one is about to get the same treatment.../????

THanks
    Pete

Thread Information