Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default cambelt (sprockets)

Hi guys,I've had a look around from time to time looking for any tips info,but now I have a serious problem,something in the timing belt area is knackered.The belt its self isn't broke,I can see it's loose and out of place where it runs on down deeper in were I can't see any further.Last friday I had noticed a slight squealing and rubbing noise so I went and seen my mechanic and he reckoned it was the alternator but wasn't sure until he got a look at it..He couldn't look at it until Monday so had to wait,when I got home I noticed the fan on which never came on before which indicated to me overheating,so I let the car sit all weekend.The wife got 100 yds yesterday on her way to the mechanic and the lot packed in,i'm feeling pretty sick as you can imagine.The car is a Vectra SRI CDTI 2005.150 bhp.with 55000 miles on the clock,and as far as I know the recomended changing time of the belt is 100,0000 or 10 years,is this correct,would I have a case for vauxhall to fix the car because it has broke under the rec.time limit.thanks for any help....rob

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Engine : 20 Dti

Hi Rob
    i take it you mean the poly-v belt not the timing belt,if so it sound's like your water pump bearing has packed in have you lost any coolant,the belt is not covered under vx on a 4 year old car,the milage is only a guide it is supposed to be checked on yearly service
    what do you mean by the car packed in.siezed,cut out,?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

jonny, on the 1.9 cdti 150 the water pump is on the cambelt/timing belt

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sorry to hear the bad news....
    if the belt was loose then i suspect the bottom crank pulley has failed - if this is the case then its not going to be covered out of manufacturers warranty....hopefully the belt has not jumped many teeth and done any more damage and the belt and pulley being replaced will suffice ....
    if not then head off to assess the damage which could range from bent valve stems to catastophic destruction of the engine

keep us posted mate

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply guys.......jonny......The car cut out,the wife tried once to start it and it wouldn't so she left it at that...I got a mechanic to look at it and when he felt the belt for slackness he said it has jumped,how much I don't know....I was checking the internet tonight for info on the first owner I was gonna give them a ring to see how many miles were on the car when they let it go,it turns out they are using a cover name and were actually a car rental firm,I couldn't find a number to call them.Now if I had known a car rental firm owned the car first there's no way I would have bought it,god only knows how much abuse it could have got...Wonder were I stand concerning my rights being sold the car from a VX dealer and not being told the proper History.Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Engine : 20 Dti

sadly vx only have to tell you the correct milage,service history is at there discretion.as long as they don't make false statments

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Finally Ive got a bit of news about the car,my VX dealer got on to me today about the damage done and were looking clearance to go ahead and get the job done.I just had a quick chat so don,'t know exactly what bits and pieces has to be changed.The cause was the tensioner seizing, There are valves and rockers damaged what ever they are,the head is ok.The total cost is £1400 inc vat and VX are paying 50%,so it hasn't worked out too bad.I'll be glad to get the whole thing sorted out,I wouldn't wish it on anybody.cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got word on Tuesday of last week about the damage and price so I give him the go ahead to order the parts,on Wednesday I phoned the guy in charge of the garage to check were they changing the water pump while they are in that area,he said the pump was fine not to worry about it and to change it anyway would be big money,but it,s fine he said.On Thursday he phoned to say the belt kept throwing its self of and they checked again and found that the pump got damaged after all when the tensioner seized.I said sure you told me yesterday the pump was fine when I asked you about it,he admitted the mechanic musn,t have spun it and checked it properly,so he was supposed to have the car ready on Friday and he left a message again saying they got the wrong pump sent and couldn,t do the job then until Monday.I,m wondering was I sucked in to give the go ahead and then they're milking it to get more money for the job..Advice please...Thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I collected the car last monday and it,s driving very poorly,they said there is two more problems with the car ,the EGR VALVE and the MANIFOLD.The car was driving 100% when the timing belt problem came upon us,so why has these other problems arose as well.I stripped the EGR and cleaned and greased it and also noticed the bar/rail had came off the swirl valves on the Manifold so I got it fixed back on with the rubber washers (how 2 fix your manifold for a quid),some very good how 2s on this site guys, priceless this forum.It is driving a bit better but it,s pretty dead even after the 2000 revs,there is a bit of chuggin past the 2000 as if there's a blockage and it's trying to get more power,the emissions light came on at the start of this and has stayed on......Would be very greatfull for any views on what's going on,I'm very reluctant to go back near the VX dealer because all I got were lies from the start.Cheers...Rob

Thread Information