User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another busy day working on the Veccy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

Trim : M Sport

Engine : 3.0 TT

Year : 2008

Default Another busy day working on the Veccy...

After yesterday's marathon maintenance session:

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=19

Another day of tinkering beckoned, and a Sunday at that! Well the main job was the gearbox oil so I decided to go straight for that.

First I had to remove the battery and battery tray. The battery is secured to the tray be a 13mm bolt/bracket. A 10mm nut holds each terminal on, start with the negative first. Once these are off the battery can be removed. I found it easier to split the two main wires (13mm captive bolt) going the the positive terminal for getting the battery out.

With the battery out, access is granted to the three 13mm bolts that hold the tray it. I've highlighted them on the pic below. There is a black box clipped to the inside of the far left corner of the tray that needs to be popped out - one little clip that a small flat screwdriver will defeat.

Next remove the near left corner of the tray - a couple of clips - to allow you to remove the two cable channels as highlighted in the pic below. They are a bit fiddly but use the small flat screwdriver again to release the securing clips.

The tray can then be removed. I unclipped the metal module with the purple connector so that it could be moved safely out of the way.

With the tray out you can now clearly see the filler plug for the gearbox.

This and the drain plug underneath the car are 8mm allen types. The drain plug is easy access and I used an 8mm allen key on it (with a grolley bar) but the filler isn't so easy unless you have a 8mm allen socket key. I don't so I used a T50 torx key that I could just get a bar on. The filler plug is not so tight so it wasn't a problem. Just make sure you can undo the filler plug before you drain the gearbox...

With a suitable recepticle under it, you can crack the drain plug and let it pour out. If it's a windy day you might want to have a wide opening on your container...

Once it has drained sufficiently (10mins) put the drain plug back in and tighten it. When mine was draining it looked pretty red but in my container it didn't look so fresh...

Next remove the filler plug and put two litres of Vx fully synth gearbox oil in. I always use a short offcut of garden hose (hoselok - it's quite tough) to refill gearboxes. It's a very snug fit into the filler hole, you may have to screw the hose pipe in a bit in fact. I did. Vx very helpfully don't include filler necks in their oil containers so I had to decant into another (empty) gearbox oil bottle that did have.

So there we go. Refitting is reversal of removing etc.

Took her for a test drive and initially didn't notice much difference. However after a short drive, 10 mins or so, I did. 1st and reverse are again easier engaged, in fact after a while I stopped noticing. The overall gearchange action though is much smoother now, a pleasure in fact.

Next job was going to be to fit reversing sensors but I forgot about having to paint the sensors. Painted them and left them to dry, will fit them later in the week.

Changed the panel filter, the old one was black. Then I investigated a non-functioning rear speaker. Traced it to a bent pin on the back of the headunit. All working lovely now.

Last job was to adjust the headlight levels as they are really low. I wound them up a bit and waited for night...

Once dark I took the car out for a test drive to check the lights and all seemed fine. On the way back the battery light came on...

Smell of burning coming from the alternator area. The chap I bought the car from a week and a half ago had just had the alternator repaired. ****. Ah well, I'll give the local auto electrician a ring tomorrow. See how much to repair this one.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice job & thanks for the clear pics .........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers chap.

Was thinking about submitting a few HOW-TOs, when I get more time. Possibly an alternator one coming up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

excellent guide mate, my gearbox is notchy so clutch fluid and gearbox oil fir me soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate Automatic

Trim : Elegance

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Great write-up, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for that mate might give mine ago soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

see - told you that Telly addict was a bad name for you and i wasnt wrong - - yep you need to be submitting how2's regarding your adventures on the oil replacements

with reagards to your alternator - might be worth a call to the garage/dealer you purchased from - i appreciate you wont want to drive all that way there and back again to let them diagnose/repair - but he may want to "contribute" towards a repair on it if it has failed again especially if it was completed by another "reputable repair agent" so recently, it may have a warranty - of sorts

good luck on getting it sorted and let us know how it goes

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Haha yeah fair play!

Regarding the alternator, it was a private sale. The previous owner had put it into a garage and is claiming they fitted a reconditioned unit. I took it out at lunchtime (took some pics so writeup incoming) and it is clearly a secondhand item and not recon.

Unfortunately it's one of those situations that me being all the way up here and the garage being all the way down there, I'm just gonna have to 'take it on the chin'. So I spent the afternoon chasing up a solution and have discovered that we're pretty much onto plums where it comes to getting these units repaired.

My local auto electrician, who strips and repairs alternators is on holiday for another week, I spoke to another 40 miles away who said he can't get parts for these - too new apparently.

So started looking at exchange units and the price ranged from £225 to £130. Also found a breakers that is claiming to have a couple and offered one for £45 but I need to phone in the morning and speak to the boss regarding postage. Certainly looks like the preferred route at the moment.

I'll get the writeup and HOW-TOs done tonight, gives me something to do while everyone is closed for the evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh yes just remembered, one breakers had an older 100A unit that they wanted £125 for! I laughed out loud, couldn't help it. Some breakers really are Dick Turpins, they seem to think they are supplying new parts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do you guys no if this is the same as the y30dt engine(auto) 03 plate???thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information