Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused what should i get?

Hi,

I have read the guide stickied at the top of the page. I am looking forward to giving my car a really good clean. But what I would like, (could be me being lazy), is a list of things that i should get and how much they cost, would also be nice to know a rough time of how long they would last. Almost like a car washers list for dummies!

For example

Really good wax A - £20 - 15oz tin will last you roughly 4 uses for waxing the full car.
    etc etc.

As a person just starting out with all of this, it would be really handy for me, and probably others new to the game too

Would there be anyone so kind to please compile such a list?

I do know that there are a number of products that can fill each of the individual cleaning stages, and its mostly down to personal preference, however, I do feel that if I have a list I can select individual items from, then I stand a better chance of knowing I am selecting a pre-proven good product, and more importantly, I can do a quick summary of how much its all going to cost me so I can try and sweet talk the mrs!

Many thanks
    Tony

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm in work at the moment, but I'll try and do a list for you this evening (if someone hasn't beaten me to it), but need to know a little more about what you're hoping to achieve.

There are so many products available, and all at different prices. What level of 'clean' are you looking to do. Do you just want to wash it and chuck a cheap wax on; do a good job with reasonably priced materials; or are you looking for the perfect finish and hoping to do a full detail / paint restoration with high quality materials? A wax / sealant for example can range anywhere between £8 - £150 for a bottle.

What products / equipment do you currently have?

How much are you willing to spend, as these things can very quickly run into hundreds of pounds to do a proper job? Once bought though, most should last you a while, so even though it's a large initial outlay, it's not so bad when taking into consideration how much use you will get out of some of it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi

Thanks for both the speedy reply and secondly the willing to offer up the advice.

To further clarify what I guess I am looking to achieve is the following.

Just bought the car from a second hand dealer who didnt do a job (note didnt actually do the job ) of cleaning it.

I have seen some of the pictures on here that some of you fine folks have done to your motors and thought to myself .... New car, would love mine to have a shine like that.

I *really* want to spend as little as possible, but gain the maximum results. (dont want much do i haha)

Regarding tools i already have, the answer to that would be none really. My old megane was lucky to get a wash down with a sponge once a year! But, I would like to put a bit more effort into taking care of my Vectra.

Little bit about the car incase colours etc matter. Its the dark metallic blue, Elegance saloon style model. It has a full leather interior (of which there is a little damage to the drivers seat on the right hand side where one of the previous owners have been getting in and out, would like to mask/repair this too). It is a pre-facelift shape.

I would like to clean under the bonnet too.

There is some damage on the back bumber on the top of it, near the entrance to the boot, where they must have rested something on to put in the boot.

If you want, I could take images of the car, the different bits of damage etc, and then if any advice is specific to damage it can be related to it?

If you need to know anything more please just ask and i will answer best i can.

Thanks
    Tony

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's great, I think I've got a better idea now.

There are so many stages to doing a good job. As a newbie, and if you're looking to keep costs to a minimum, then some don't make a drastic difference, so could be left out, but for a perfectionist, would be carried out.

What I'll do, is make a list with basic instructions, and list things as necessary and optional. You can then effectively make your own list from mine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thank you very kindly mate

Your help and advice is very much appreciated

Tony

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : GSi

Engine : 3.2 V6

Mileage : 39k

You're peering into the rabbit hole now, and let me tell you, that thing goes deep!

I was always a Tesco's wash'n'waxer until I bought this car and found this forum (and Jeebus, don't go any where near Detailing World, it's financial suicide), now I'd hazard a guess that I've spent around £250 just getting a pretty basic kit together.

My "kit" pales to insignificance compared to many of the guys' stuff on here, but this is what I went for:

Nilfisk 120 pressure washer
    Snowfoam & lance
    Meg's NTX shampoo
    Meg's clay
    Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine polish
    Collinite 915
    AG Bumper Care
    Meg's Last Touch detailer
    Mer Tyre Dressing
    A couple of buckets, an assortment of wash mits, micro fibre cloths, drying towels, applicator pads, brushes, erasers, cotton buds, toothpics, etc, etc.

That covers the outside of the car, not the inside, that's a whole other story!

There's quite a bit more I'd like to get & try; AG SRP, Poorboy's Blackhole, FK1000, a DA or rotary polisher, etc. I fear if I spend any more my wife will have my balls hanging on the rear view mirror, furry dice style!

You have been warned.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Give a shout to Lump or Stevel as they will tell you what you need

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok Image of the scratch, it was in the bottom rear left bumper, not the boot, forgot the damage in the boot was on the inside (took a pic of that too). Also took a pic of the damage to my drivers seat, anyone able to advise if thats maskable/repairable please

http://www.gortreck.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Scratch.jpg

http://www.gortreck.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Boot.jpg

http://www.gortreck.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chairdmg.jpg

Thanks again folks

Tony

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi mate with both them marks being on plastic it will be hard to make them come out completly but with a machine polish i would say you could make them better even if you touch it up and just blend it in .like people have said dont go on detailing world unless you have lots of dosh and i am talking from my empty wallet but my cars look good

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : GSi

Engine : 3.2 V6

Mileage : 39k

The same thing is happening to my seat so I'd be interested in suggestions, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information