User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would a full respray set me back?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How much would a full respray set me back?

Gave my car a good clean today, noticed the car is covered in scratches and scrapes (pics to follow) quite annoyed as I didn't notice them on inspection of the car, they are so bad infact I'm considering a full respray, I know it won't be cheap but I'd like to know what to expect in price from workers van White to a fancy metallic colour.

Also on the chrome piece across the back I went over the lettering with the sponge and under no pressure the I from the gsi came off followed by the 3.2 and the v so I had to pull the gs and the 6 off, it looks awful now. How much would that be to get sprayed and if sprayed is the Finnish good quality

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think you will be looking in the region of £1400 hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan GT-R R35 Vectra XP2 CDTI

Trim : Nissan GT-R R35

Engine : 3.8 twin turbo 700hp

Year : 2010

why dont you try getting the car mopped that normally brings the paintwork back to life as for the badges try fleabay thats where i got mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2008

Mileage : 100k

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvectra View Post
    why dont you try getting the car mopped that normally brings the paintwork back to life as for the badges try fleabay thats where i got mine
    Completely agree with Chris - a good mop and polish WILL make a massive difference.

As for a full respray - I got a quote for my old 9k before I had a mop - and they told me to expect 2K easy... Soo much prep work etc = man hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've just had the front "external" done on mine by NCRC :
    Front bumper
    Front bonnet
    Front nearside wing
    Front offsde wing

My local dealership quoted £660 and another quoted £650
    NCRC quoted £360
    I've used NCRC before, they do use aftermarket parts for accident repairs as first choice, but if it is a respray then no parts should be required
    Mine was supposed to take 3 days, but they encountered a problem when refitting the front bumper, which was solved at no extra cost but left me without the car from Friday to Monday afternoon
    However, the SRI badges needed replacing and these are included in the quote

You could of course supply replacement badges yourself, recommended if they have fallen off, or advise them not to replace any missing ones

I would expect a full "external" respray to be near on £900
    It would take between 5 and 7 business days
    Equally, once completed you must NOT wash the car for two weeks
    Mine is nearly past two weeks, I've then to wash it and take it back for them to polish it and check for blemishes, and to be signed off as completed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have a nosey in the 'detailing' forum before you go spending all your hard`earned.

Some of the lads in there should be able to recommend an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for replies everyone, all info much appreciated, I'm not too fussed about the badges it's just the mark it's left behind on the chrome strip. Would just alot of elbow grease get rid of the remaining marks? What is this mopping anyway? The scratches are not that deep, just like it's been put through a hedge at some point in it's life the amount there is

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My car has scratches at the rear, rather than respray this area this is going to be professionally polished
    I did try myself with Turtle Wax blue polish, but the effect only lasted a few days

My car was resprayed due to the extreme stone damage on the bonnet
    Polish was only a temporary solution as there was now no metal protection and a danger of rust

Equally, my front bumper had been paint damaged due to a parking incident which the Police attended for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It may be worth seeking alternatives before going for a full respray. With the scratches: rub your fingernail over them, if it doesn't catch, then they should be able to be corrected by machine polishing. Faded and lifeless paint can, in most cases, be corrected by machine polishing also.

The marks (assuming it's glue and not physical damage) left by the badges will come off without too much work. Most bug/tar removers will remove that. AutoSmart Tardis and Chemical Guys Bug ****** are both good products and should do the job with relative ease.

As for chips, there is no easy way around these. Something that may suffice is to use a touch-up paint in conjunction with Langka. This is what professional quick repairers use. Langka will dissolve touch-up paints but not manufacturer paint, due to the touch-up paint being acrylic. You fill the chip with paint, leave it for about 10 minutes, then smoothly rub a cloth with Langka on over it, and it smoothes the paint and feathers it into the surrounding areas. It doesn't leave a bad result either. Obviously not perfect, but pretty good. Companies like Chips Away use this stuff and generally charge £65 for a small area (big scratch or couple of chips). You can buy Lanka for £15 which will do about 15 small areas).
    Last edited by Swaite53; 16th September 2009 at 08:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A decent re-spray, which includes stripping everything and doing a proper job to make the car look like new, expect anything between £1500 and £2000. But this will give you the absolute top job.

£900 as suggested on here is too low and you would not be getting a full strip down for this which leaves you open for mask lines etc.

Regarding not washing for two weeks, this is total rubbish, if the car is painted and baked properly, you can wash within a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information