User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swirl Actuator Bar - Advise please....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Swirl Actuator Bar - Advise please....

Hi all,
    After reading threads on this forum, I decided to check my car (55 1.9CDTI 150 - 69K miles) for some of the common faults, and have found that my Swirl Valve Actuator Bar has come off and was just lying there.
    I've only had the car for 5 weeks, so cannot comment on if anything has changed performance wise (it seems OK to me) and only comments are sometimes can be a little slow on the take off (<2K rpm) and a slight 'blip' when accelerating hard around 4000rpm (mainly in second gear - a bit like my foot has come off the accelerator for a fraction of a second). There are no other problems, lights, issues etc.
    I have noticed that the valves seem to still be moving as after several journeys i have looked at where the small rod is on each pod and each time it has been in a different position - except the 3rd from the left which has always been a '12 o'clock' with the engine off [not checked if it moves when revving]. 4th from the left is pretty 'gunky' / cobvered in oil etc

My problem is that I checked the warranty I have, and it is limited to £250 [a fat lot that will do looking at the cost of repairs listed on this forum !].

Questions :
    1/ Do I need to wait for the car to develop lights / problems before it will be accepted for a warranty claim ?
    2/ Would this be covered if I got a RAC or AA waranty (most these policies cover specific items listed and I have not seen 'Swirl valve actuator' listed - only manifold etc
    3/ Has anyone succesfully claimed under one of these policies for this problem ?

Not sure if I should try to claim under my warranty and get £250 towards the cost, or try for a full claim under a RAC / AA warranty. If it is unlikely that a claim would be sucessful, then it looks like the £1 quick fix could be on the cards, but I dont want to mess with it until all other avenues are exhausted.

Any advice on what approach to take would be appreciated !

(I wish I'd found this forum before buying the god damn car - It looks like there are more problems than what they are worth with this car)

Thanks in advance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone....?

Also, I took the bar out to have a look at the wear etc, and now cannot remember which way it goes back in. There is one of the 'cups' that sits slightly higher than the others - does this sit on the first or 4th from the left ?

Does anyone have any tips on how to locate it back on the swirl valves if I go for the £1 fix - It seems a PITA to get in place....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You wont get any warning lights with the Swirl Valve problem. Mine developed it at about 50k miles and luckily was sorted under warranty.
    Sometimes they will re-attatch, sometimes they wont.
    I had the redisgned parts fitted to mine under warranty, and its been faultless since.

The symptoms of the fault are a lack of power under 2000rpm as you have described. You'll really notice the difference when you get it fixed.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not sure if a warranty taken out would cover an existing problem, as some dont allow you to claim for som many days from the start of the policy.

Take it back to where you bought it and see what they say, it is a very common problem which requires (in my case) a new manifold assembly.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I understand what you say about a warranty not covering existing problems...I was thinking about the 'playing ignorant approach' i.e If I hadn't checked / noticed it was off and had taken out a policy - if I came across this in a few months time would it be covered ????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have a look HERE
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Should the bar rock from side to side or should it be in a fixed possition ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2008

Mileage : 100k

Hmmm - I feel for you VX150-VECSRI - I had exactly the same problem at only 34K!!..

The actual issue (design fault) is the bearings in the swirl flaps themselves. They wear and consiquently cause up and down movement on the individual swirl flaps.. What this effectivly does is wear down the 'ball' on top of the swirl flap and also the joint on the bar meaning that the bar doesnt stay on as the ball joint has worn too much.

This movement that the swirl flaps get thats caused by the bearing ware then causes them to get all gunked up and sometimes stick (which will throw the spanner light).

The 3rd one along as you say is the control swirl that is attached to a solonide under the inlet - that then drives the others via the bar.

As you have probabily read - the fix is a new Inlet with revised Swirl flaps (revised ball joints for the rod - and revised bearings), and also a new control solonide is a MUST as they 'learn' the movement of the inlets. Unfortunatly its also advised that the EGR is changed at the same time - and VX will want you to change the CAM belt as the inlet has to come off for that also I believe (or certainly part stripped).

As my car had only done 34K at the time I tried to fight with VX (beginning of this year) but they would not pay a penny as the car was over 3 years. I proved the design fault and sent them TIS articals as well as the makers of the Inlets admission of the fault yet they still didnt budge!..

My total bill was 1K!! Parts labour incl Belt change, EGR, etc etc..

If you need anymore help or info - please let me know and I will try and help where I can.

As for the position of the Rod.. here is a Pic of my new Inlet with the rod fitted that may show it:

Cheers and best of luck

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Should the bar rock from side to side or should it be in a fixed possition ?
    I checked mine earlier and it moves side to side, I didn't try moving it up or down thou ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : SRI

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2008

Mileage : 100k

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I checked mine earlier and it moves side to side, I didn't try moving it up or down thou ?
    My advise would be don't try and move it up as its likley to come off!..

I would guess that side to side is OK as the ball will just be moving in the joint.. Its when it wears too much and then lifts off one or more or all of the flaps that the issue is.

A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information