User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice and views on buying a car that has previously been owned by police?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Advice and views on buying a car that has previously been owned by police?

Guy's,

As some of you may/may not know I am scouting around for a supermini (lol) for the misses.

Seen a fair few now and some hit the spot and some dont.

Anyway, have seen one that has previously been used by the police.
    Its a 2003 model and in year 1 and 2 of its life it covered 17k with police.
    Its not an ex-police car itself so it isnt white, grey or silver.
    It was basically an "enquiry" vehicle.

So, whats your thoughts? Would you? Wouldnt you? Why yes and why no?

I have spoken to DVLA about it and the car in question has never been registered as a POLICE CAR, its always been DIESEL CAR. It was basically leased out to the police by a lease company and as far as we are all aware, it is 100% HPI clear but of course I will check that out if I decide to buy.

I have also spoken with the Service Technician and asked him how are they treated and would you buy? His comments were yes they are all fine. They are maintained irrespective of cost and should be driven properly. He said he has bought 2 actual ex-police cars and they are both fine, but then he would say that wouldnt he!!

I reckon the price I am getting it at is OK, but im more concered about its past. Once again service history not present but have spoken to police and they said I could write in to ask for it to be released as its coming up as "needs authorisation" at the moment. The fact that it is coming up is a good thing anyway (I hope), assuming now that there is some details about it. Current owner says he bought it without SH which explains this situation, but has serviced it regularly himself as it was his misses driving it.

So guys im after honest and sensible advice please ! !

Thanks.
    Last edited by Vaux-Man-G; 10th September 2009 at 14:56.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

an enquiry car will never have been on a blue light run - it would have been well maintained as health and saftey is sooo prevalent -they wouldnt even let officers change a tyre if they had no training in my ex force

and low mileage as well so shows its not a town or rural "response" car

i would be happy buying it

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, would it have been used for pursuits and ripped over speed bumps, etc?

The police on here, do you have any views please?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as an ex police officer - no plain cars would be used in a pursuit without some form of blue lights or auditory system (sirens) fitted to the vehicle as if the car was involved in a polac (police accident) the driver would be in serious trouble so i doubt it very much - is there any signs of a radio unit being fitted in the glovebox

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Enquiry cars usually have very little modification work, if any
    You might find a radio and car phone has been fitted
    However, since it is a lease car the terms are that any fitted equipment must be removed professionally and if there is significant damage then the affected panels must be replaced or the costs covered for that (resulting in a lower value so that the next owner can complete this)

They are maintained in the same way as force owned vehicles, to at least the basic service (sometimes inhouse, otherwise by a dealership), with at least an annual inspection (equivalent to MoT)
    Visual inspections would also be carried out at set intervals, usually at least every month, so even minor faults are quickly identified

Pretty much the same as ex-fleet and ex-hire cars
    Check the interior trim for excess wear and tear, as many different people will have been in the vehicle

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent info guys, keep going!

There are no real visible signs of anything untoward. Interior seems OK, just the usual dribs and drabs from the current owners kids.

The outside seems OK again, although I noticed a one of the front lights was ****-eyed, but it doesnt appear to have been damaged physically.

No sign of radio inside or phone carriage, nor are there any rips in roof lining.

To be honest, if I didnt know, you would be able to tell it were a cop car.

Its just the knowledge of me knowing and it always being in the back of my head!

Whats your thoughts? The car has done 86k, its a Diesel Engine, 2003 Model (sorry I cant reveal more just yet).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if its a lease the police force would not of had any input on the maintanence of the vehicle. the lease company take car of it all. im in the army and all our lease vehicles go away for their serviceing and inspections etc. only worry I would have of it being a lease car to whoever is the actual driving of the person's driving it. most lads that drive a lease etc is liking taking one for a test drive without the sales rep. they would put it through the paces.

but thats my opinion.

simo

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vaux-Man-G View Post
    Its a 2003 model and in year 1 and 2 of its life it covered 17k with police.
    The car has done 86k, its a Diesel Engine, 2003 Model
    So it's been owned by the police and well maintained by them for the first 2years and 17k of it's life and then owned by someone else for 4 years and 69k miles. I wouldn't be worried about what the police did with it in their time, I'd be looking into the second owner's history with the car though. Not suggesting that there is anything untoward with it, but just that the police ownership is not that important in the whole scheme of things.

I've known someone who bought ex police traffic cars (Rover SD1s, that shows you how long back that was) and despite the high mileage that they had, he had no particular problems with it. As yours never had that sort of use, I wouldn't worry about it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From what you have written, the car you are interested in sounds as though it should be fine, as it's more than likely been used only to get from A to B, and in no particular hurry.

I have also spoken with the Service Technician and asked him how are they treated and would you buy? His comments were yes they are all fine. They are maintained irrespective of cost and should be driven properly.

IMHO, police cars are driven "properly" most of the time, by most of the drivers - but of course, they're working vehicles and "properly" doesn't mean they're not thrashed from cold, driven hard for miles on end, or occasionally driven briskly over poor surfaces. The interiors are likely to be heavily worn too, IME.

I've seen Astra pandas with over 200,000 miles on the clock inside 4 years, an 08-reg car with 47,000 on the clock and that's only a year-and-a-half old.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my mate bought a diesel astra in silver that was a ex c.i.d car whaen he got it it looked great from the outside but when he popped the bonet open the full wiring loom had been ripped to bits some was tapped together but most of it was just left with bare wires showing everywhere i think its a hit or a miss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information