238. You may not vote on this poll
  • VECTRA VXR

165 69.33%
  • MAZDA 6 MPS

52 21.85%
  • ST220

21 8.82%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vectra VXR vs Mondeo ST220 vs Mazda 6 MPS......which one and why??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Vectra VXR vs Mondeo ST220 vs Mazda 6 MPS......which one and why??

hello people

just curious as to the above question, it has nothing to do with the old top gear test that clarkson did as he's a top bloke but very biased to the vectra and didnt make a clear choice at the end.

Anyway i will be changing the vec in like a years time which i agree is ages away but gives me a chance to pick exactly what i want and when the perfect one comes along if i buy earlier than expected so be it.

personally atm i think that the vectra is the best looking and undoubtably the fastest standard, The mazda is best for being a grown up with putting the power down with 4WD (but 4wd is dull as its too sensible mayby?) however it is the ugliest and smallest boot! whereas the ST220 is the slowest but good looking and with a huge choice of used about??

I think 10-12k will buy a:

10-20k VXR
    10-15K MPS
    10-40K ST

(mileage wise)

so all are very similar?!?!?!

so which would you have and why??
    (presuming you could be arsed to read all that rubbish)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I am of course biased as I own a VXR estate but IMHO it's handling is fantastic and I still can't get over how good it is for a very very big car! Power is more than enough to get you into much trouble with the law and a sub £500 remap gets you into super-car territory if you feel you need it.

As for the lack of traction (2WD rather than 4WD) I doubt apart from very poor weather it makes a huge difference as the on board traction and stability computers are epically good. I've yet to be shaken off by the so called rally derived rice rockets..

In a nutshell I'm gobsmacked by how good they are and it's by a long way the best value car I have EVER bought and I am a miserable get...

Oh VXR's are dead rare as well
    Ken-tec FTW.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mazda simply because it is 4wd. They drive and handle like they should, not so much torque steer or understeer like you get with powerful front wheel drives.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

spoons

I'd have the Vectra VXR...

Great all rounder... Comfortable, good 5 seater, big boot, very tuneable at small cost, rare

Wouldnt have the Mondeo ST220 as its not very tunable, slow, and its a Mondeo

Might have the Mazda but wouldnt want the 4x4 weight, or tyre costs

So... Vectra VXR it is then

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Qashqai

Trim : Visia

Engine : 1.5dci

Year : 2010

VXR for me thats what im aiming for in a few years time with a remap

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Old man Jimbo View Post
    Well I am of course biased as I own a VXR estate but IMHO it's handling is fantastic and I still can't get over how good it is for a very very big car! Power is more than enough to get you into much trouble with the law and a sub £500 remap gets you into super-car territory if you feel you need it.

As for the lack of traction (2WD rather than 4WD) I doubt apart from very poor weather it makes a huge difference as the on board traction and stability computers are epically good. I've yet to be shaken off by the so called rally derived rice rockets..

In a nutshell I'm gobsmacked by how good they are and it's by a long way the best value car I have EVER bought and I am a miserable get...

Oh VXR's are dead rare as well

you make a strong case for the VXR however i would like to disagree with the VXR's being rare i have seen more VXR's than mps's however i have only ever seen 6 VXR's so not much difference haha

And "spoons" if thats a photo of your black VXR im practically dribblin, its stunning and very very shiny!!!

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by vectra_c_wannabe View Post
    you make a strong case for the VXR however i would like to disagree with the VXR's being rare i have seen more VXR's than mps's however i have only ever seen 6 VXR's so not much difference haha
    1001 Vectra VXR's were made for the UK... and thats it !

You may see loads of VXR Corsa's, Astras, Merivas, Zafiras etc... but not many Vectra VXR's

Quote Originally Posted by vectra_c_wannabe View Post
    And "spoons" if thats a photo of your black VXR im practically dribblin, its stunning and very very shiny!!!
    It is ... and thank you

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to say....VXR, Only owned mine for nearly 2 weeks now and almost covered 1300 miles, hasnt missed a beat, power when you want it great fun, very comfy and roomy. Handles very well for a big old bus not sure about the wet though but fitting an LSD and lowering springs will help sort that.

A bit thirsty im getting about 17mpg round town but i do have a heavy foot....Did get 34mpg on the motorway at 80mph.

Good speck, things to look for as optional extras Satnav/ AFL lights/ duel zone climate control/ full leather with heated seats/ 19" alloys

They are a very smooth drive and power delivery is great you dont get that almighty turbo lag then boom it just all comes together nicely.

Mine is the 255bhp model on a 56 plate, later models were 280 bhp...but as mentioned a £500 remap can get you in the figures of 300 ish bhp and 400 ish foot of torque.

Great cars great drive but i would say that as i own one...only downside is the ****** tax but for the fun its worth it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VXR all the way m8, ST220 is very old now and way off the mark performance wise compared to the MPS never mind the Vec.

The VXR has better Looks, Interior and far better performance, oh and the only journalist to completely slate it was Clarkson, Evo magazine tested it against the BMW 330I, Subaru STI and Evo 320 and the only one they rated above the Vec was the Evo and that was the 255 version.

ST220............0-60 - 6.9

MPS...............0-60 - 6.6

VXR...............0-60 - 6.1 (6.5 255 version) (Mapped 5.3 for both)

M8 there is no other choice.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i wonder if i posted the same question on the MPS owners club would i get a different response

the vec is much faster and always will be but just out of curiosity and not atall related to the dilemma whats the most powerful modified vxr vec yet?? i would love to see a vectra ruin a E46 BMW M3 but they have 43bhp more than a 300brake remapped vec???

anyway back on target im just picking VXR owners brains now whats it like when you have finished clowning around and guzzling fuel does it easily slip back into refinement mode where its quiet and easy to live with every day??

i agree the ST220 is dated and by far the slowest but i have a soft spot for it.

then again if i was driving a st220 and a vxr rolled up beside me i would feel pretty inadequete (spelling ) and wish i had got a vxr instead and mayby have the same feel in the mazda but less-so!!

However if in a VXR and a mazda and st220 rolled up alongside i would feel smug about my extra 20ish brake on an mps!?!?!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information