Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fix for Creaking radio dash surround and console on Insignia

I know quite a few Insignia users have had issues with creaking noises from the centre radio console area of the dash, and in front of the gear lever area.
    Mine has been very bad since new in this respect, at varying levels of annoyance depending on temperature etc. Dealer has tried twice without much noticable improvement at all.
    I tried to reduce the creaks myself a few weeks ago, but was wary about removing the complete radio and instrument surround at the time, I did manage to improve things a little but it still creaked badly when going round bends or over a rough road etc.

So I had another go this evening, and this time managed without much difficulty to remove the complete centre radio, display and top vents surrounds. It is actually all the small components which snap into the main surround, such as the Led displays, and especially the climate control unit and also the way the top vents click in that's making all the creaking.

There are quite a few components which make up the centre unit, and they all just click into place, unfortunately VX have positioned no anti-creak tape whatsoever anywhere to reduce plastic on plastic touching.

When the unit is removed, its instantly obvious what's been causing all those horrible creaking sounds, as just picking it up or moving it without really trying to flex it causes loads of creaking noises.

What I did was unclip and remove all the various components that clip in to make up this whole centre unit, and place lots of small very thin strips of self adhesive tape between the plastic sides and edges, so they cannot be seen from the front of course, and also where they slide and click back into place. Including the airvents which just click into the surround too. Everything just clicks together. But because there so many small plastic bits and pieces which make up this unit it can creak like crazy.

I found the ideal thing is strips of sticking plaster, the fabric kind, just cut some strips from the 2 ends, luckily the wife had a roll of the stuff and its ideal, its quite thin too which is important. The end result after 2 or 3 hours of painstakenly positioning these strips is a centre console without a singe creak, total silence.
    Even when I flexed it slightly prior to refitting, no noise at all.

1. I find it easier to just pull off the side panels first below either side the gearlever which goes over the side carpet. They just pull away.

2. Then the ashtray and the small ashtray trim surround, it has plastic clips at the rear on either side near the bottom edge which are quite easy to break, when you pull this from the bottom edge to release it, sliding it in a upwards motion at the same time will help it unclip easier. The rest of the trims clip off much easier.
    If you break one or both of the securing clips, its an easy matter just to put 2 small small strong double sided adhesive pads to hold it in place when you put it back. It holds in place fine. Its £9 if you want to replace it.

3. just pull away the passenger side long dash trim which goes all the way round to the centre and fits into the ashtray trim your've just removed,

4. Now remove the small drivers side dash trim. Its held by one spring clip at the top right, and has locating protusions down its left edge, but once you pull and release that one top right clip it just lifts away out of the locating pegs on the left edge. I used a smooth plastic spatula just to raise it slightly so I could grip it, to pull it off, it comes away easily.

5. Now those trims are removed it reveals 4 small torx bolts, 2 either side, which need to be removed, be very careful you dont drop one of the bolts down inside the dash, you may have great difficuly finding it, and the last thing you want is a small bolt floating around in the lower dash somewhere making a noise...lol
    The whole unit is now loose, but its still held in place by 2 spring clips at the top which just clip into the dash, so carefully pull the top vent part away towards you sufficiently to release the 2 spring clips.

6. There are 5 connecting plugs at the rear. Be careful you dont catch the front of the surround trim while turning it to remove the plugs. All the plugs are released by carefully squeezing in the locking tab on the side of the plugs and carefully ease them out.

The whole thing will now just lift away, and taken into the house for disamantling further. I'm not going to discribe how to do this as its pretty much simple! everything just clips together, you may need to just ease plastic side out a touch to release the clips, its very easy.
    Once dis-assembled put plenty of very small pieces of tape spaced out along surface where components touch, and then reassemble everything in reverse.
    Hopefully your creaks are gone, but you can tell if there's any slight creaking left by just flexing it slightly before you put it back in.

It would also be wise to just check that the now exposed screws and bolts behind the radio console are all secure too. There's also a few screws near the ashtray area which were quite loose on mine, so may be worth just checking they are secure too.

Dont forget that the small Ashtray surround trim is the last trim to be fitted, followed by the 2 black side panels of course.

For anyone getting the odd creak under the gearlever, while the 2 side panels are off, just place some small pieces of tape between the plastics where they touch, I also had to put a tiny dab of silicone rubber on the 2 securing clips on each side which seemed to creak a little when pressed slightly. You will notice that the sound proofing material only comes a small way up the sides under the carpet, so I added a little more felt to improve it a bit more.

Not a proper How-2, but it may give some idea of how to solve those annoying creaks, if you dont have any console creaks... then lucky you!
    If a Mod wants to move this, delete it, or whatever, no problem, but thought it may be useful to someone who may be suffering this problem.
    Last edited by 67688c; 30th August 2009 at 00:09.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the info.Your a brave man to pull apart your Insignia like that.It comes to something when sticking plaster is the cure all.Top job.Vauxhall now have to issue a tech fix for the dealers complete with a roll of elasoplast!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very useful info , a word of caution to those with the nav version, take care with the colour lcd screen hitting the gear stick when you pull it forward to remove the plugs.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rockh View Post
    Very useful info , a word of caution to those with the nav version, take care with the colour lcd screen hitting the gear stick when you pull it forward to remove the plugs.

Yes... good advice.

You do need to be very careful anyway, as those black matt surrounds would mark extremely easily if you catch them with anything while handling it.
    I certainly dont recommend anyone who feels they dont have the confidence to do it without damaging something, though in reality it really is a simple job.

Though I'm sure one would take more care than your average dealer mechanic would, I noticed last week that someone on the german forum has already had a moan because his dealer had scratched his matt surrounds, while attempting to stop the squeeks and creaks.
    He's now trying to get them to fit a new surround. In fairness my own dealer tried twice to do mine without much success, but at least he did not leave any scratches or marks. Just a shame he could'nt fix the creaks, but in fairness it can be very time consuming.
    Last edited by 67688c; 30th August 2009 at 13:16.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good job! You shouldn't have had to do that on a new car though. You should write to Vauxhall telling them the story, and how the dealer was unable to fix it. You should also put down a cost for your labour. You never know, they might offer to reimburse you. Doubtful, but at least it puts them in their place.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've been lucky and mine doesn't have any creaks in the dash area. A quick look at the dash showed some tape in similar positions to where you have put yours.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default UPDATE TO CREAK FIX, When Refitting

We fixed a friends Insignia this afternoon that has suffered from a creaking centre radio console which started shortly after he had it in April this year, The dealer has not managed to fix his properly either, his was actually worse than mine, as it creaked every time you pressed a radio button or buttons on the climate control, unless you pressed extremely lightly.

Anyway... when you come to fit the unit back into the car, I found it was much easier this time to not clip the the 2 parts together, but to fit the bottom half with climate control etc. in first, as its much easier to handle, and its also much easier to put the plugs in at the rear, you can then secure that in usng the 4 bolts that came out.

Insert the plugs back into the top half with the airvents, and just push it back in, it has two spring clips at the top, and there are 2 at the bottom which clip into the bottom half.

I assume this is the way VX intended the order to be when re-assembling, trying to refit in one piece and put the plugs in can be quite awkward, so re-assemble separately.

If the right hand black panel has a tendency to creak when you press on it, which mine did slightly, before you clip the small dash trim back in, (the one nearest the steering wheel, slacken off the top bolt, and put a little pressure on the panel below the trim and re-tighten the bolt, just doing this cured that last slight creak noise for me.
    Last edited by 67688c; 30th August 2009 at 18:53.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a 4 week old insignia 2.0 nav 160 diesel with a bad squeak center left of the console, have you any more closeup pictures of were the clips are for removing the panels either side of the console

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by grhmeh View Post
    I have a 4 week old insignia 2.0 nav 160 diesel with a bad squeak center left of the console, have you any more closeup pictures of were the clips are for removing the panels either side of the console

I no longer have my Insignia, as I sold it after just 13 weeks, PX it in for a BMW. Thats was my second Insignia car... just too many ongoing issues one after another with very long wait times for parts. Failed clutches & gearboxes etc to name just a few issues. Many problems too numerious to list here. Not a single issue with the BM so far, and the drive is superb, fast and economical too, unlike the Insignia, and virtually silent into the bargain. Absolutely love it... best move I've made for a long time, just wish I'd bought one much sooner.

The narrow grey or wood finish trims either side of the console just pull away. Start at the left hand side first for the long one, and for the short right hand one use something smooth like a plastic knife just to raise the righthand side of it so you can get your fingers under it to pull it away.

Same for the black side panels either side the gearshift centre console.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply I will have a go myself it seems fairly straight forward to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information