User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a warranty?? Just thinking ahead? Is it wort it??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Getting a warranty?? Just thinking ahead? Is it wort it??

What are you thoughts of purchasing a warranty for the car?? Just really thinking ahead as i don't want my DMF packing up or anything similar that is expensive!! Ive found these http://www.click4warranty.co.uk/ on the tinternet and they say they cover all wear and tear for all parts except brake pads and tyres and they will cover the car for £260 per year??

Im just concerned really, what if something happens to the car and its down to wear and tear it justs makes me think if they will pay out??? What if i do have problems with my DMF??

What are you thoughts on this guys??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Please read the small print AB, if the warranty providers can wiggle out of paying they will and, in my experience,this ability to wiggle has a 100% success rate. Despite all the glib assurances from the sales people...

GEM motoring do an insurance so if you are worried about the DMF etc they could help you.

You should get a better policy this way rather than buying the dealers one...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't personally rate things like this. I always say to myself, if the company is able to make a profit, they're obviously paying out less than they are charging their customers i.e one will be paying more than it would have cost to repair in the long run. In some cases it would pay off, but in most it won't. If it did, the company would have gone bust. I've looked into it in the past. There are so many items not included. Even for the ones that are, there is still an excess and the company I looked at only pays a % of the cost, relative to mileage.

I was thinking of one 3 years ago (when my car was coming out of warranty). I decided not to take it out at the time. A few weeks ago I re-assessed it, and worked out that in that time I would have paid over £750. During the last three years, although I have spent money on a few bits, there is nothing that has gone wrong with the car that would have actually been covered by that warranty, so it would have been wasted money.

I've since decided to set up a standing order for the same amount into an ISA, which I'll cash in should I need it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 110k

Quote Originally Posted by Swaite53 View Post
    I don't personally rate things like this. I always say to myself, if the company is able to make a profit, they're obviously paying out less than they are charging their customers i.e one will be paying more than it would have cost to repair in the long run. In some cases it would pay off, but in most it won't. If it did, the company would have gone bust. I've looked into it in the past. There are so many items not included. Even for the ones that are, there is still an excess and the company I looked at only pays a % of the cost, relative to mileage.

I was thinking of one 3 years ago (when my car was coming out of warranty). I decided not to take it out at the time. A few weeks ago I re-assessed it, and worked out that in that time I would have paid over £750. During the last three years, although I have spent money on a few bits, there is nothing that has gone wrong with the car that would have actually been covered by that warranty, so it would have been wasted money.

I've since decided to set up a standing order for the same amount into an ISA, which I'll cash in should I need it.
    Exactly what i would suggest...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its just an insurance policy, you have to weigh up the probability against the potential.
    Read the small print to see what is, or more frequently, isn't covered. And their expectations of you, i.e. main dealer servicing by the book or whatever, limited mileage etc.

In the year I've owned my 120 cdti Ive suffered the alternator, glow plugs, glow plug relay and a spring break (not to mention all the detailing stuff everyone on here made me buy) that would've been covered by most mainstream policies and would've easily recouped the costs (excluding the detailing stuff lol).

I have to admit I've considered both possibles: warranty or save it. But tbh I've taken the third route: spend it now! Not the most helpful, but don't all cars cost money to run? Even merc owners complain about running costs, as do fiat owners. It's probably not helped by our nature to only post the breakdowns and failures rather than the thousands of miles incident free motoring we do the rest of the time.

Would also consider warranty direct and a warranty longer than a year, as it should be cheaper than several single years policies.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

mark i have the AA breakdown / repair warranty on both my car's, they pay the first £500.00 (less £25.00 excess) on each claim i make, max 6 per year, this is only £18.00 pm iirc and it is a very comprehensive cover....

HTH
    Midlands Mod Shop - NFFC.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : Elite

Engine : CDTi 150

Year : 2005

Mileage : 71000

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ditchp View Post
    mark i have the AA breakdown / repair warranty on both my car's, they pay the first £500.00 (less £25.00 excess) on each claim i make, max 6 per year, this is only £18.00 pm iirc and it is a very comprehensive cover....

HTH

Same as above, my vec hit 3 yrs in july, so thought it best to take one out as its a 150 cdti, also having a works van this warrenty suited me. Anyway to cut it short two weeks later having sorted AA warrenty the cars alternator packed in, cost was £480. minus £25 excess. Paid for work myself at my choice of repairer, within 5 days of sending reciept in, got a nice cheq back. Happy days.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've stayed with Network Q at around £300 for the year. It includes full European recovery, and any work is agreed between the dealer and Network Q, so I don't have to pay out.
    I only just squeezed in this year as they don't take cars over 5 years old. I'll have to do something next year, though.

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Swaite53 View Post
    I don't personally rate things like this. I always say to myself, if the company is able to make a profit, they're obviously paying out less than they are charging their customers i.e one will be paying more than it would have cost to repair in the long run.
    This is obviously true in a way but you can say the same of all warrantys, insurances, get-you-home covers etc. etc. The gamble you are taking is whether or not you're the one whose car will go belly up and cost a bomb. Personally I think that if you need the car and would be stuffed if say your DMF needed replacement then you should think about a warranty. If you're wealthy of course why bother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information