User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.0 CDTi I thrashed it and the black smoke went!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3.0 CDTi I thrashed it and the black smoke went!

I previously posted on black smoke on hard acceleration and had 81 posts in reply (thank you all). My car is 12/03 V6 estate 3.0 cdti 100K, service by the book with new cam belt, change geear oil, brake fluid at last service by dealer. For the last 20K? I have seen black smoke on hard acceleration, sometimes embarrassingly amounts (I can't see the car behind). Roger bailey also posted and had exactly the same symptoms.

We were convinced there was a major problem as Roger had been quoted £10k for a new engine after Vx had charged for lots of other fixes. Lots of you suggested clean the EGR which is sensible. I did nothing but roger cleaned his and now has the light on all the time.

I then reported on shuddering/juddering which I had noticed had appeared after a trip back to the UK to pick up a caravan. Some of you suggested injectors, a very good pointer. But all this time I did nothing because I was uncertain of the support here in France (even worse than the UK!).

On friday I had an appointment and I was late. So I put my foot down big time on back roads for 45 mins. On the way back I did the same and noticed that there was less smoke (I always look out for it now). So I decided to belt it as hard as I could, reaching 5000revs at times!

Guess what? NO SMOKE! No matter what I do I cannot make it smoke?!!

I should say that at least 3 of the posts said that this could happen, was normal and that an "Italian tune up" (Thrash it!) would fix it. These were Big Dar, Signum Phil and Sharpo. Sorry guys, but at the time I did not believe that the huge clouds of black smoke could be fixed by thrashing it. But they have!

OK maybe it is not permanent but I am hopeful and it is free. The juddering seems better too. My thoughts are as follows:

When we first get the 3 litre diesel we enjoy the performance. but the computer says "economy is going down"!!. So for a while we chase the computer and drive more slowly. In my case in France I was twice flashed by a camera on the way back from the uk and received 5 points for my troubles! So for the last 20K I have been sticking to the speed limits, putting it on cruise at 30mph in towns, and the same on the motorways. I can do 5000 Km on a trip to the uk or spain, all at the speed limit. My engine does not go above 3000 revs! Something has become gummed-up. And, yes, my fuel economy got better all the time, even though it was smoking, perhaps confirming that I have been driving like the "old man" that I now am.

I used 2 bottles of Redex fuel system cleaner in the tank before this miracle cure. Perhaps belting it at 5000 revs moved some sensor (throttle position sensor??) or some other into action.

I hope this helps some of you out there but be carefull where you thrash your motor. I was able to rekindle some of my youth on the very quite and empty back roads of France.

I shall let you know long term what happens but I am a very happy man now, hoping to do another 100k miles in my Vectra C estate.

Thanks for all your help.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cracking news mate, better than a new engine

Hope it all goes well from now on...

Your english is brilliant too...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine hits the rev limiter fairly often. Maybe something was stuck or its just moved all the crap and burnt it all off. Low revs don't do an engine any favours over a long peroid of time imo.

So gald for you that its fixed
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    Cracking news mate, better than a new engine

Hope it all goes well from now on...

Your english is brilliant too...
    Not surprising as I was born in London E7. France is a great place to retire to except Opel dealers are worse than UK Vx ones. I actually came back to the the UK to have the cambelt changed as it was half the price of having it done here in france (and to see the family of course!).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I take it back then - I expect your french to be good though....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I take it back then - I expect your french to be good though....
    Bien sure!

But seriously, may be too many of us have been nursing the V6 3.0 cdti autos because we know that if we belt it the economy goes down and thus we soft peddle it to achieve 38mpg (7.6L :100 km) for much of the time and it goes to sleep, gums up and SMOKES.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

True with all engines I think mate - I gave mine a thrashing the other day on 200 miles of motorway for both that reason and because I just wanted to get home...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I believe (apart from the obvious and numerous bad components in the 150) the CDTi and infact any common rail diesel with EGR is going to be susceptible to soot and carbon.

On all of my diesels, I have never been afraid to open it up every now and then to give it a good clear out. Never have had a bad smoking problem either!

My Fiat van gets very ropey and doesn't pull well if I drive it around gently. Open it up and it does do the world of good.

I follow many an old person (sorry for the stereotype) in a VW group TDI engined car. They suddenly decide a bit of fruitiness on the gas pedal is needed and I'm lost in a cloud of smoke!!!

Pussyfooting a modern diesel is not good long term! At the end of the day, how does a diesel particulate filter regenerate?, by driving at a higher rev setting over a long period!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

True with all engines I think mate
    My Petrol vvt only does a couple of miles to work every day and soon begins to feel sluggish. I have to give it a thrash every now and then and it's back to normal. I think prolonged "careful" driving doesn't do any engine much good.
    They all need to be opened up at some stage to "blow away the cobwebs"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum 2.0 DTI (Irmscher)

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 2.0 DTI 100 bhp

Year : 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Mine hits the rev limiter fairly often. Maybe something was stuck or its just moved all the crap and burnt it all off. Low revs don't do an engine any favours over a long peroid of time imo.

So gald for you that its fixed

Definately with you on this one, these modern engines (especialy diesels) need a good blast now and again and just generally all the time (IMO). As it blows out the cobwebs and seems to help massively in keeping them running at peak performance.

I'm not saying you need to break the speed limit but things joining a motorway, get the foot to the floor through the gears and settle down to a normal speed (70 of course!) .

Think of it like a stones in a stream. If you have a driving style like driving miss daisy then the water in that stream is going to be moving very slowly to stagnant!! What happens to stones in a slow moving stream? They get covered in gunk and weeds and algie while the keen motorist who boots it more on a regular basis has a fast moving torent of a stream. The stones in these streams are so smooth and clean like they've been jet washed, but guess what? No Gunk!!

Get some additive in there to attack the gunk and put your foot down (sensibly of course!).

Bri.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information