User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How long should front discs last? (06 reg 1.8 vvt )

  1. #1
    Regular Member PeterVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default How long should front discs last? (06 reg 1.8 vvt )

    After my MOT a fortnight ago , I had an advisory that the front pads were worn low. So today I called in to Kwik Fit ( yes, I know...), and they said that my pads were ok, but my discs had 1.7mm left on them. The car has done 38k and has the original discs and pads. So I am confused?
    If it is true I assume that I can probably get 1500 - 2k more out of them?
    I just didnt have 200 quid to part with today...............

  2. #2
    Ex Vec-C Admin Deztroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    WGAF#5
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    its an assesors point of view at the time of the test - its dependant on how you drive and the conditions you drive under - someone who brakes slowly and evenly and mainly does motorway miles is less likely to wear them out as quick as say someone who drives with a loaded car in town stopping and starting quickly and constantly

    my pads and discs were an advisory for 2 years running on my mot and i did nearly 20k extra on them

    regards

    Dez

    0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

  3. #3
    Regular Member PeterVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    but how much was left on them when you had the advisory?

  4. #4
    Ex Vec-C Admin Deztroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    WGAF#5
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    thats the thing with an mot - they wont measure them - so how can they tell as i said its an assessors view at the time of the test hence why when you went elsewhere they have said something different

    0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

  5. #5
    Full Member Big Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Is a very naughty boy
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Depends on how you drive. I have 67k on my oe disks and pads on my 3.0cdti siggy. had 65k out of one set in my old astra coupe 1.8. had 20k out of a set of escort van fronts - works van
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

  6. #6
    Regular Member gtr1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carmarthen
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Insignia

    Trim : Sri

    Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

    Year : 2013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
    After my MOT a fortnight ago , I had an advisory that the front pads were worn low. So today I called in to Kwik Fit ( yes, I know...), and they said that my pads were ok, but my discs had 1.7mm left on them. The car has done 38k and has the original discs and pads. So I am confused?
    If it is true I assume that I can probably get 1500 - 2k more out of them?
    I just didnt have 200 quid to part with today...............
    According to the Haynes manual, the new disc thickness is 25mm and the "serviceable" limit is 22mm.

    If Kwik Fit are able to measure accurately to 1.7mm, ask them what the thickness of the discs is? By my maths, and using the Kwik Fit 1.7mm, the discs should have a remaining thickness of 23.3mm, so still well within the VX wear limit.

    Basically, your discs are just over half worn @ 38k miles so there should be plenty left.

    EDIT - me thinks that Kwik Fit have got their figures round the wrong way. They probably mean that the discs are OK but the pads have 1.7mm left. This would tie in with the advisory at the MOT.

    HTH

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sebastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Electric Heated Recaro Leather
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra Estate

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 1.9 DTH

    Year : 2008

    Default front discs

    hi
    i did 80 k on mine ones and i drive a taxi so i dont think your ones up for replacement just yet

    HTH

  8. #8
    Regular Member PeterVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post
    According to the Haynes manual, the new disc thickness is 25mm and the "serviceable" limit is 22mm.

    If Kwik Fit are able to measure accurately to 1.7mm, ask them what the thickness of the discs is? By my maths, and using the Kwik Fit 1.7mm, the discs should have a remaining thickness of 23.3mm, so still well within the VX wear limit.

    Basically, your discs are just over half worn @ 38k miles so there should be plenty left.

    EDIT - me thinks that Kwik Fit have got their figures round the wrong way. They probably mean that the discs are OK but the pads have 1.7mm left. This would tie in with the advisory at the MOT.

    HTH
    The guy in Kwik fit said at the thinest point my discs were 1.7 mm, or at least thats what he sounded like he was saying. Now excuse my ignorance, but if they were that thin and you braked at say 50 mph, surely they would fail?
    He said to call back in 1.5-2k to have them checked again......

  9. #9
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    1.7mm
    That will have been the measurement on the pads
    I normally don't let front discs go below 20mm

    If there was only 1.7mm left on the discs, they would have EXPLODED!

    Front discs are usually good for two sets of pads, and at a push three sets
    Pads will last about 40K miles, the discs to about 60K miles

  10. #10
    Regular Member PeterVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    south wales
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    1.7mm
    That will have been the measurement on the pads
    I normally don't let front discs go below 20mm

    If there was only 1.7mm left on the discs, they would have EXPLODED!

    Front discs are usually good for two sets of pads, and at a push three sets
    Pads will last about 40K miles, the discs to about 60K miles
    ??
    So why would they say the discs needed doing at the same time? job creation? They definately said the pads were ok????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How long do front tyres last?
    By Ruperts Trooper in forum Suspension, Wheels & Brakes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 20th November 2009, 15:41
  2. how long did your rear discs last
    By learoy69 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 15th March 2009, 19:59
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st October 2008, 15:11
  4. Help,,, please, with front discs!!
    By mitch1965 in forum Handling & Braking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th September 2008, 22:36

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •