Thread: Door Card Removal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Door Card Removal

Picked up my new mirror today, and I'm amazed by what I got for my £35.... Its the whole mirror, including the bit that fixes to the A pillar, just excluding the motor and the glass!!!!!

Anywho.... I now need to know how to get the interior trim off the door (the whole door card) without destroying it!!! so I can unbolt the old mirror and fit my new one.

Anyone with TIS help????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well Duncan just did this exact thing to swap the moisture barrier lining that is stuck to the door so i'm sure he'll be a good person to ask.

Is the shell already painted? Surely that wasn't included for 35 quid.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Well Duncan just did this exact thing to swap the moisture barrier lining that is stuck to the door so i'm sure he'll be a good person to ask.
    Ta daaa - and here I am!!

PDF here.

You need to unscrew five T20 Torx screws. Three at the bottom of the door card and two behind the grab handle. You need to remove the cover on the handle. Get a plastic wedge of some sort. I found that one of those flexible plastic cooking/mixing spatulas works a treat. Don't be tempted to use a screwdriver, you will leave little nicks. Gently ease the wedge/spatula under the edge of the cover to get some space to get your finger nails in. Pull the top of the cover towards you (not the bottom as it has a lug down there) with some force and it'll pop out. Undo the last two screws.

For the bit that shows pushing the door card up with a long stick thing, get something like a small hammer (the type with the thinner wooden shafts) and stick the end of it up into the top of the door card.

Then you just need to unclip the Bowden cable and disconnect the tweeter connector and connector for the door/window controls.

You're likely to break the odd fastening plug when you remove the cards. Maybe just get a few spare in advance, or do it early enough in the day to allow yourself time to get any that you need from the dealer.

If you come across any problems, give me a shout on MSN if you like as I've done this umpteen times - most recently at the weekend taking off all four door cards. The reinstalling can be a bit tricky.

EDIT: BTW - ignore step 6 about 'Detach window channel strip from door inner trim panel • see operation "Window Channel Strip – Front / Rear Door, Remove and Install"

It's not necessary. You can remove the whole card with that bit in one go.

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All done, and not a broken clip in sight..... just gotta refit the panel now. New mirror is looking good (compared to the broken one anyway!!).

Thanks D, thats another drink I owe you eventually! (Or would you settle for a bag of donuts!!!)

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie1979
    All done, and not a broken clip in sight..... just gotta refit the panel now. New mirror is looking good (compared to the broken one anyway!!).
    Excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie1979
    Thanks D, thats another drink I owe you eventually! (Or would you settle for a bag of donuts!!!)
    No problemo.

Beer or donuts? Hmm, let me think about that for a nano-second.....I guess you're getting the beers in Jamie next time we meet!!

D

Thread Information