Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default MPG

Heya everyone,

Im a bit of a MPG nut as i dont really care when i get to a place as i just chill out with the music on. So tonight i desided to see how to get the best MPG out of the old diesel lump but im sure most of it would work with it. obviously this issnt that accurate as i was just going by the screen info and a bit of maths in my head. Mine being a 2.0DTi with 71K on the clock 54 Plate i found out

just pootling at 70 on a flat straight bit of motorway i got a steady 41.5mpg on the screen for about 5 miles, then for the next 5 miles i put it on cruise control and it dropped it about 5-10 mpg! i thought it might increase it lol

after that i remeberd that mythbusters episode about driving behind a truck and does it work! i sat about 8-10 car lengths behind and i got a steady 55.0 mpg then i moved to 3-5 car lengths and i got 68.2mpg. i didnt bother going closer as its just stupid.

so with me sitting at 68.2mpg on the screen i turned the A/C off and i got 75.1. to 82.2 mpg.

i was allso really confused that at 55mph i got less economy than i did at 65 which i didnt really understand why lol. also the average mpg is alot higher as like was when i had the power on as when just coasting the engine doesnt use any fuel at all, so im lead to belive.

What is the Motorway numbers in the book for the 2.0DTi? is it 84mpg or 74mpg?

my home is 115 miles away from base and i filled up just after i left and the fuel gauge hassnt even hit the first notch on the gauge . lol when i came into base the range stated 883 miles left ill get a picture tommorow.....oooor ill top off the tank and see if it says range 1002 miles lol will take the camera to the station with me! and they say hybrids are the future.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by redraptor_141 View Post
    What is the Motorway numbers in the book for the 2.0DTi? is it 84mpg or 74mpg?
    The "extra-urban" figure for the 2.0DTI hatchback is 62.8 mpg. Average/combined is 50.4 mpg.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by redraptor_141 View Post
    after that i remeberd that mythbusters episode about driving behind a truck and does it work! i sat about 8-10 car lengths behind and i got a steady 55.0 mpg then i moved to 3-5 car lengths and i got 68.2mpg. i didnt bother going closer as its just stupid
    Yes, reducing the air drag with the same speed increases the economy
    However, the air flow can be reduced and it's not recommended, even though the radiator fan may activate

When I hadn't long passed my test, I slipstreamed as many HGVs as I could from Aberdeen to London
    I refilled at Carlisle and worked out I had used just 12 litres!
    This also meant I could get the entire distance on 35 litres / 70 litres return trip

However, the car I now have will use 12 litres in a third of that distance, meaning the same return trip would be 3 tanks of fuel!

Thread Information