0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When did I last .....

..... pay less for a litre of Diesel than I would have done for a litre of petrol, had I had a petrol engined car??

It's so long ago now, I can't remember, if I ever even have since I permanently, up to now, last went Diesel in March 2001.

But yesterday, Diesel - £102.9/litre, Petrol - £104.9/litre (Congleton, Cheshire)

They've been equal price in Malvern for a while now but not yet cheaper for Diesel.

In earlier Diesel owning spells in the 1980's and early '90's, there were times then when Diesel was cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's OK diesel probably went up today to £105.9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, both the same price around here. First time Ive had a diesel but like you say - its always been more expensive !!!

Now it really pays to have a diesel....

Much bigger, much more comfortable, more powerfull and more fun than the likes of a 1.1 petrol Clio or something lol and costs much less to run !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it really annoys me, i had a diesel last year when it hit the £1.35 mark, got rid of my diesel and got a petrol just as the prices came down and were matched, both 99.9 here, just raised to 100.9 actually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK seems to be the only place in europe where diesels the expensive choice.. make people buy green then tax them all when they are there

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reversal of diesel and petrol prices has occured because I recently switched from diesel back to petrol.

Betcha it will go the other way, when I switch back to diesel again, which I'm doing in a few weeks time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do recall when Diesel used to be about 10p a litre cheaper than petrol then early to mid 90s (1990's) then Diesel started to creep up closer and closer to the price of petrol. Especially as Diesels got more and more refined and people started to switch from petrol to diesel. Then it really went daft and diesel ended up a horrendous price above petrol so it is now nice to see the balance of the scales starting to tip the other way again.

I read an article a while ago and it blamed the lack of diesel refineries in the UK on the high price of diesel. It was put down to supply and demand and because of the up-surge in popularity of new diesel vehicles. I pretty much agree with this as the sales of diesels over petrol’s has increased dramatically over the last decade and a half.

Bri.
    Today!! The new tomorrow, live the NOW!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago diesel was about 30% less and possibly even more than that at one time. Surely it must cost more more to refine petrol than diesel.

As stated, main reason its the same price as petrol now is simply because of the polularity of diesel cars, you dont think the government is going to lose all that lovelly tax revenue.
    Same as current LPG conversions... if it took off in a really big way, so the majority of the polulation were using it, as is, becoming the case with diesel cars, then it would rise in cost through taxes so diminishing any price advantage.

I can remember when petrol was 4 shilling and 3 pence a gallon, thats 21 pence in todays money..diesel was about half a crown a gallon (2 shillings and 6 pence) thats twelve and a half pence...lol when I was in my teens and running a m/bike. quite simply because there were virtually no diesel cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    Many years ago diesel was about 30% less and possibly even more than that at one time. Surely it must cost more more to refine petrol than diesel.

As stated, main reason its the same price as petrol now is simply because of the polularity of diesel cars, you dont think the government is going to lose all that lovelly tax revenue.
    Same as current LPG conversions... if it took off in a really big way, so the majority of the polulation were using it, as is, becoming the case with diesel cars, then it would rise in cost through taxes so diminishing any price advantage.

I can remember when petrol was 4 shilling and 3 pence a gallon, thats 21 pence in todays money..diesel was about half a crown a gallon (2 shillings and 6 pence) thats twelve and a half pence...lol when I was in my teens and running a m/bike. quite simply because there were virtually no diesel cars.
    How many shillings and pence?

Your really showing your age now Cameron. What are you getting in a few weeks that's diesel?? Getting a newer Insignia???

Bri.
    Today!! The new tomorrow, live the NOW!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brifen View Post
    How many shillings and pence?

Your really showing your age now Cameron. What are you getting in a few weeks that's diesel?? Getting a newer Insignia???

Bri.
    I remember my bike's tank held a touch over 4 gallons, and I used to get change out of a £1 note when I filled it up...lol

Re.. changing car.

TBH matey... I actually cannot seem to decide, It wont be another Insignia, thats for sure.

Still undecided what to go for, I'm still looking. So may be longer than a few weeks...especially as we have a long holiday break coming up.
    'very indecisive at the moment' No guts at all in this 1.8vvt I have, car is much too heavy for engine. Next one will be a turbo diesel again.
    Last edited by 67688c; 18th August 2009 at 11:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information