User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: disability and mobility, should being fat count?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default disability and mobility, should being fat count?

hey all, got into a discussion with my cousin about the whole motability issue and he was asking what do you have to be to get it, now i fully agree with genuine cases needing motability but does anyone believe being obese should qualify as disabled and the right to claim a maintenance free car paid for by the taxpayer? i ask this coz i know of a guy whos on it, hes just obese, no illnesses or anything just fat and lazy

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Loads of info on the Dept of Work & Pensions (DWP) web site and the whole subject of DLA (Disability Living allowance).

Just ben disabled does not entitle you to certain levels of the moblity part of the DLA (the other part is the carer's allaowance).

But since we're talking mobility here, the DLA process generally takes around 13 weeks with a lot of in depth questions and history. Yes, there are people that flaunt it but it's getting harder to blag it.

Best not to take someone on face value as there may be other underlying reasons why the "big" geezer's got a Motability car.

So if you have any doubt as to this geezer's suitability, take it up with the DWP.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

It's always easy to judge people cause they are obese but without knowing 100% of the factors involved you can never tell. I have a family member go through the whole disablement and disability system and it was horrendously hard for them to achieve being awarded disabled and these were for serious medically documented and diagnosed reasons. to this end I find it difficult for someone who is just lazy and fat to qualify. It does have alot to do with the doctors they see though and how they fill in certain forms. There is also a system in place now where all disability people have to re-qualify and it is so much harder than it used to be.

This is no worse than the taxpayer paying people who are registered alcholics something like £20 a day to feed their habbit. We as taxpayers pay far too much money for so many things which I believe could be spent better elswhere (NHS,EDU,Police on the Beat).

Bri

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This guy may or may not have other underlying problems besides the fact that he appears overweight. Do you know him well, is he a good mate? Maybe he just hasn't told you the full story.

There are people out there who do take the mick, and give the genuine people a bad image. This guy may be one of them, or he may not be. If I ever became disabled though, I wouldn't hesitate to take adantage of a system that I helped fund during my working life.

My thoughts:
    You could look at it from another angle and say that this guy over here shouldn't have a motability car because he's over 6 foot tall - what would that have to do with it! Just because someone is overweight, the fact still remains that they are immobile - it shouldn't matter the reasons as to why they are?

Even if this guy is immobile purely due to his weight, why is he less entitled to a car than someone who is average weight! I've never seen the guy, but I'm sure he didn't sit down one day and think 'I know, I'll eat lots of food, and then I'll get a free car'. There could be genetic reasons as to why he is overwieght, beyond controlling what he eats. He'd quite likely swap the car for his health if he had the chance anyway.

A person's entitlement should be judged on an individual basis. This guy may not deserve a car, but if he doesn't, it's not fair to say that he doesn't deserve one because he's overweight.

Thread Information