Thread: Several Problems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Several Problems...

I've just bought 1.8 Elegance Vectra with 91k miles on the clock and there are a few things that I am quite worried about:

1. There is a ringing- rattling noise from the front, whenever the car's revs get really low (and they do quite often- another thing to worry about)- hardly noticeable, but still. My friend, a mechanic, tried to locate it, but was unsuccessful.

2. Steering wheel- this is my biggest concern so far. I have to hold the wheel to the right for the car to drive straight (about 1- 2 cm). My friend told me that the wheels need to be aligned as it is quite common in the cars with this mileage, but my question is: did the car started to drive like that suddenly or was there a different cause, eg. accident. I've checked the car before I bought it but you know you can never be sure...

3. Cruise control- when I tested the car, it worked only when I pressed the lower button of the two, but since I've restarted the computer- it doesn't work at all! I tried to follow your advice with the pedals and so on, but there's no sign of life from my cc.

4. Electrics- Replaced the fog light- warning message still comes ev. time I start the car, but now the right head light decided to join in, even though it works (it didn't once, but a knock seemed to have sorted that out).

Honestly guys, did I buy a pile of scrap? I don't want to spend all my money on repairs... and there is more to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ThePole View Post
    I've just bought 1.8 Elegance Vectra with 91k miles on the clock and there are a few things that I am quite worried about:

1. There is a ringing- rattling noise from the front, whenever the car's revs get really low (and they do quite often- another thing to worry about)- hardly noticeable, but still. My friend, a mechanic, tried to locate it, but was unsuccessful.

2. Steering wheel- this is my biggest concern so far. I have to hold the wheel to the right for the car to drive straight (about 1- 2 cm). My friend told me that the wheels need to be aligned as it is quite common in the cars with this mileage, but my question is: did the car started to drive like that suddenly or was there a different cause, eg. accident. I've checked the car before I bought it but you know you can never be sure...

3. Cruise control- when I tested the car, it worked only when I pressed the lower button of the two, but since I've restarted the computer- it doesn't work at all! I tried to follow your advice with the pedals and so on, but there's no sign of life from my cc.

4. Electrics- Replaced the fog light- warning message still comes ev. time I start the car, but now the right head light decided to join in, even though it works (it didn't once, but a knock seemed to have sorted that out).

Honestly guys, did I buy a pile of scrap? I don't want to spend all my money on repairs... and there is more to come.
    Right, IMO

1: no idea, how low do the rev's go before you hear this noise? The idle speed can be adjusted via tech 2 but not by much.

2: Probably just where someone has had the tracking done and not put the steering wheel straight first.

3: On most cars you need to have braked first and be doing more than about 20mph.

4: The lamp out detection works by measuring the resistance in the lighting circuit. Bad connections will/can trigger a false bulb out warning. As you banged it and the lamp then came on suggests just that. Remove the bulbs, clean the contacts and put them back in

Next

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

Ok mate don't panick your problems aren't that bad trust me

1.The ringing noise may be just a loose bolt or something, if your mechanic friend couldn't find anything its nothing to worry about yet. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse

2. Steering, chances are that the car has had new track rod ends and track rods, especially at this mileage. When the car has the tracking done the steering wheel probably wasn't straight when it was done. When you get the tracking done tell the garage you want the wheel straight.

3. Try to clean the cc buttons, there are a few threads on this

4. Try to clean the contacts on the bulb/holder or try another bulb

Hope this helps

p.s two of us can't be wrong, big sig posted this while i was typing mine lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Looks like we covered most things

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Big Thanx guys! I'll get down to business and let you know the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

P.S. I didn't mention regarding no 2: the car is pulling to the left when I release the wheel. Does it change anything or should I still follow your guidance?
    Tx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All cars pull to the left slightly - normally anyway. (awaits someone to correct that)

Get a good 4 wheel alignment done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ThePole View Post
    P.S. I didn't mention regarding no 2: the car is pulling to the left when I release the wheel. Does it change anything or should I still follow your guidance?
    Tx
    Some bedtime reading here under "technical theory" http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/steeringgeometry.php

A vist to Wheels in Motion was the best £80 I've ever spent on my 02 GSi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 150,000

Some pulling to the left is normal...I read it somewhere that this is due to two factors.

1. If you fall asleep the car will veer off to the left possibly killing only yourself...if it veered ahead or to the left, it may pull you into on coming traffic....odd but true I believe.

2. Some effect from the camber of the road.

If it helps, my front off side road spring snapped in may....it now drives straight (I've not fixed it yet as it is only a tiny piece at the end within the rubber sleeve).

other than that...as said above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Guys,
    I've booked my V for an alignment today. I'll let you know what's the result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information