Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Help - Spanner then Emissions Z22Yh

Again, thanks in advance.......

Over the last few weeks this fault has cropped up.Now......Driving car on motorway.Car is fine then without warning, there is a 'sort of' misfire, then car, in most cases, drives fine, however on some occasions, the spanner light comes on, but car still appears ok. On restarting the engine, the spanner light goes off.

Today........car drving fine, slight hesitation/misfire around 65mph on motorway in 5th gear.Spanner light came on but car drove fine, then a short time later the spanner light went off and at exactly the same time this went off, the emissions light came on then another short time, car lost power and went into limp mode (spanner light STILL OFF at this point).Pulled in, restarted and car drove fine.

Fault code is P1191 and I know it kind of points to the high pressure fuel pump, but after having this fail last year,these symptoms are totally different to those at that time. Could it be a sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds identical to mine (apart from i never got emissions/limp mode) prior to failure, the weird misfire, then everything feels fine but you have the nagging light....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you had any luck diagnosing it? My thoughts are that IF it was the pump, the fault would permanently be there and not clear, especially as the pump is more of a 'mechanical' issue and if it were to break down, you would expect the fault to remain, that's what make me think it could be a 'sensor' of sorts OR possibly the regulator.I removed this to see if there was anything obvious..........but there wasnt, and I had no idea what I was looking for 'movement' wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is there any sensor that could be causing these issues? Happened this morning on the way to work

Car running fine on motorway at 70mph, then for no reason, spanner light comes on, car still drives fine.Some time later, spanner light goes off and Emissions light comes on immediately. Car still fine then, after 10 mins or so, starts to lose power as if on 3 cylinders.Pull in, turn engine off.Wait for a few mins,restart and engine fine, but emissions light remains on.

I bet later on when I go in the car, the car will be fine and no emissions light (at least for a while)

I dont understand why spanner light goes off at EXACTLY the same time emission light comes on.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Vectra C Estate

Trim : Enjoy

Engine : Z22YH

Year : 2007

Mileage : 84000

Quote Originally Posted by Flaninacupboard View Post
    Sounds identical to mine (apart from i never got emissions/limp mode) prior to failure, the weird misfire, then everything feels fine but you have the nagging light....

This just started for me, spanner light comes on, then goes back off when the car is "rebooted" Funny enough MPG (or in my case KM/L) has increased the last months.

When the light is on, the car (how shall i put it?) "decelerates harder" , engine brake is more efficient.

(a 2.2 "direct")

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tried another coil pack last week.......still the same.I bought it on good authority it was a 'good' one so that rules that out. I am of the opinion that my fault is electronic/electrical and not mechanical, but I could well be wrong. If the Dealer could guarantee to find the fault for a £45 investigation charge, I would have it in, but I can see it now.......

"John, we need more time to investigate the problem, drive test etc. Fault code P1191 could be a number of things do we have the 'OK' to carry on with this at £60 per hour labour?"

"yes" ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ later, it could be blah,blah,blah,blah or blah, = no help at all

"no". "Ok,that is £45, I'm afraid we cannot pinpoint the fault.Have a nice day!!" = no help at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For me, the the dealer thought it was the fuel regulator. replaced, carried on doing it. HPFP replaced, and it's been fine since.

I'm sure i saw a thread that mentioned disconnecting the HPFP was possible, and that the car still runs fine (as there's enough power in the tank pump to feed the engine) which would at least rule it out of the diagnosis procedure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by opel_estate View Post
    When the light is on, the car (how shall i put it?) "decelerates harder" , engine brake is more efficient.

(a 2.2 "direct")
    I noticed this too, it actually seemed to me that the fuel cut-off was no longer functioning, possibly the engine switching to a more basic mode of operation...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For any techies out there.......

How does the HPFP work? Most pump internals consist surely, of seals and diaphrams.Surely if the internals of this were to fail, it would basically permanently fail and not be able to recover when restarting the engine?? A mechanical fail would not recover with turning a key, thats what makes me think mine is more of an electronic/electrical issue.

Car fine, then will have a warning light, lose power.Once restarted, the fault clears??????

Also, does the emissions light 'superseed' the spanner light? When my emissions light comes on, the spanner light goes off

Thread Information