User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the first person to blow up the VXR Engine?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Possibly the first person to blow up the VXR Engine?

Well.. the coolant leak that i asked advice on in other threads may of got the most of the car. After replacing the header tank, it was still losing coolant out of the leak off pipe. Not dry, but enough to notice, say 1cm from the top of the tank.

So.. I gave in and handed it in to Opel.. as I have a holiday a week friday that I need the car for..

Just got a phonecall when they finally looked at the car with the manager wailing and sobbing about how my cylinder gasket (presuming head gasket en englais) is probably gone...

Now for a 3 year olf car that was perfect before a 2 month standstill, to of suddenly blown its headgasket seems a bit OTT for the manager of Opel to be calling me about. And i am praying that its his (worst case) verdict..

Baring in mind when the leak first sprung it lost about 1.5cm max, and it has never gone above 93 degrees even when i drove it to Opel it was topped up and maxxed out on 89-91 degrees.. I'm finding it hard to see how the head gasket could of gone?

Now he said as I suggested they will check the thermostat first (which would be nice lol). But as he said these engines never go wrong.. now is that true?

Really can't afford to be paying out for that kind of treatment hopefully they aren't mugging me off because im a brit..

Ah yes.. and there doesn't happen to be a service bulletin out for headgaskets does there? My warranty expired the day after I went to Canada (grrrr) and obviously the next time I drove it its knackered.. Don't think I can blag that one on warranty???
    Last edited by luke4487; 13th August 2009 at 17:18.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If its only just out of warranty and you have a full Opel/Vx service then they will more often than not meet you half way with the repair bill. HTH. Hope you get sorted soon

My other car. 1972 1641cc slammed beetle. On the road finally!!

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How about the (Saab engine) recall mentioned by BigP in your other thread here Link should worth a mention. Hope you get something sorted prior to the hols …………..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers for that guys which thread is the saab recall in? it is probably just the thermostat (please! lol) however he didn't sound to positive. So best get planning just incase. As the saying goes 'Prior Preperation Prevents **** Poor Performance'

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    cheers for that guys which thread is the saab recall in? it is probably just the thermostat (please! lol) however he didn't sound to positive. So best get planning just incase. As the saying goes 'Prior Preperation Prevents **** Poor Performance'
    Sorry Mr Luke Here .........................

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ah brilliant yes.. it is all due to the coolant header tank.. and i still have the old one which is a different plastic and has smaller hose pipes good call tadpole. Ur always saving my ass :P

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mate this sounds VERY similar to an issue ive had recently.

I have a 255 vec and about 1 year ago the expansion tank split. This was done under warrenty, no bother. I did notce though, that it wasnt a new expansion tank, but the same one.

Oh well i though, so long as its ok.

Not a problem until recently, i got a musky smell through vents so opened bonet an could see coolant dripping out of the one pipe at the point where it made connection with engine/turbo. this hitting the turbo housing and causing the smell. The pipe was also bulbing out/deforming around the connection.

Took it to my mate who said "Oh Oh could be due to too much pressure, this could be your head gasket" something about leaking exhaust gas into system increasing pressure and splitting pipes.

So he did a test, no zorst gas in system so head gasket fine.

He orders me a new set of pipes on the phone there and then and the guy at VX tells him there is now a modified header tank. They could not replace the one i got and asked if it had been changed recently
    . I told them yes, it split about 1 year ago and was sorted under warrenty."No problem" says the guy, "you'd have had the modified header tank then"

2 replacement pipes arrive and they dont fit! They are wider at the connection point, probably to allow more flow, but they were usless to me. Ive now had to order the header tank (which VX should have put in 1 year ago!!) at the cost of £70.

So, you might just have the same problem. The pipes cant handle the pressure as they are not right ones, its not that theres too much pressure caused by a fault or problem with head gasket.

You never know, get them to check.

Your tank and pipes should have a "draw date" in 2008. if they have one in 2005 or one does and other doesnt, your got the same issue i had.

hope this helps and let me know.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thats exactly my original problem. The turbo pipe was leaking and i got a replacement.. but it cost me 200 euros!!! For the new header tank and the wider pipes. 70 quid.. i knew i was being mugged off. they quoted 135 for the header tank :O Thats almost double!

Anyway.. took it back to the Adolf Stealers! Even worse than the UK Stealers due to post war debt and hurt pride I expect . First the phone call saying the world was going to end as another dictator was on the rise.. and more importantly i had a blown head gasket too..

Then today i got the mrs to call (shes also a kraut bless her lol.. not her fault) and found they hadn't touched the car in the 2 days it was there and said if we had a problem we should get a hire car (at 60 euros a day).

Now my mrs is really polite normally.. but if it comes down to shopping and being mugged off she kicks off and shows her true heritage She thought she would tell them to stuff it as the car never went above 93 degrees, and wasnt driven anywhere else, also that we had a holiday in a week and I quote 'schall nut grow moneyz out of mein arsches!'...

Phone call 3 hours later.. oh Mr Luke.. we drained the coolant and refilled it with a special vacuum pump (I presume from the radiator or something?? Anyone know) and now ze car is fine!.. zer was maybes air in the system..

Now I hope I'm not being a complete tit, as i bled the system as I 'thought' I knew how to, and how many people had said on the forums.. so I think he's talking poo. And its more likely the thermostat was dodgy and just started working again. We shall see..

But all being well, they are testing it two more times tonight and in the morning.. and she should be back for a good clean and polish

Anyone come across one of these vacuum pumps (perhaps with a swastika on the side?) and how do they work? Would like to update my brain cells please.

PS. anyone got a parts price list? As i wouldnt mind finding out if they have taken advantage of the great Britishness and upped the price on that header tank

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interesting read, fingers crossed for you Mr Luke ....... ......................

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't tell anyone but I was rather Pee'd orf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information