User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This country has gone to the dogs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mazda 3

Trim : Sport

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2004

Default This country has gone to the dogs!

Well I was made redundant in February due to the 'current economic climate' and since then have been on contribution based jobseekers allowance. My partner has been on six months maternity leave, but our son was stillborn in March. So she has been on statutory maternity pay and we cannot claim child benefits etc. And I have been told today at my sign on that my contribution based JSA runs out on 27th August and because my partner goes back to work on the 21st August I cannot go onto income based JSA because she will be working full time.

This country really has gone to the dogs, if I was an illegal immigrant I wouldn't be struggling like this.

Anyway as an Architectural Technician, I am thinking of sticking an advert in the paper to do plans for home extensions etc. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, keep your chin up and remember it can only get better.

Regarding the doing plans for extensions, a mate of mine quit his job about 10 years ago and started doing that and he hasn't looked back. He does a steady trade generated from local adverts and ad's in local papers, parish magazines etc. He finds that because he produces the plans and then offers a service where he submits them on the house owners behalf and see's it through to the point where planning permission is granted that he's got the edge over others that just do plans. Might be worth considering. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Very sorry to hear your bad news. I hope all works out for you.

I think thats a great idea, why not ? You can only gain from it, surely. Could you advertise in magazines or even your own web page also?

Best of luck,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm gutted to hear about your unsurprisingly poor experience of out benefits system and your sad sad news. I have also suffered the indignant and totally unfair treatment of our benefit system and find it a true insult to your average working man whom has fell on hard times. It disgusts me to the core!

As for your idea I think it excellent. I and several of my friends over the years have bit the bullet and started there own businesses and find that the best place to advertise is local parish pamphlets and magazines, local news papers, door to door leaflets also work well but can be a little bit pricey and time consuming.

Give it a try I for one agree that if you can offer a full service including submitting plans etc you'd be on a winner.

On one other note future employers seem to love the fact I "went for it" and having been self employed for a few years I only went back to working for someone else with the arrival of my kids but the fact I DID have a go on my CV speaks volumes and has opened many many many door since.. What have you to lose!
    Last edited by Old man Jimbo; 12th August 2009 at 14:22. Reason: spelling atrocious

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mazda 3

Trim : Sport

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2004

Thanks guys. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I can certainly offer the Planning Application side of things as I have good experience in this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like a good idea, in all honesty, what have you got to loose by trying it? Got to be worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Quote Originally Posted by eashton View Post
    Anyway as an Architectural Technician, I am thinking of sticking an advert in the paper to do plans for home extensions etc. What are your thoughts?
    Yeah go for it, I'm an Electrical Engineer, and the company i work for does a lot of work for about 60 to 70 or so local councils building control depts, And from my experience of having to give some of them advice on a daily basis i'd say go for it, there still seems to be a lot of work being done on home extensions ext (we test them for the LABC) and our work load is on the up again.. OR maybe send your cv to a building control dept near you as im sure they could do taking on more people with your background and experience, Good luck though with whatever you decide...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear about your predicament m8 , i was made redundant in july and also signed on but fortunately managed to get another job the week after but i know how hard it is when your looking and stressing , good luck with your idea , it sounds like a goer to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's got to be worth a try, especially if you keep looking for another job as well. Even if it doesn't pay a full time wage in the early years it would be nice pocket money to get from running in your spare time along a regular job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by eashton View Post
    Well I was made redundant in February due to the 'current economic climate' and since then have been on contribution based jobseekers allowance. My partner has been on six months maternity leave, but our son was stillborn in March. So she has been on statutory maternity pay and we cannot claim child benefits etc. And I have been told today at my sign on that my contribution based JSA runs out on 27th August and because my partner goes back to work on the 21st August I cannot go onto income based JSA because she will be working full time.

This country really has gone to the dogs, if I was an illegal immigrant I wouldn't be struggling like this.

I am extremely sorry to hear that this year has been so bad for you and you partner matey, especially the sad time during March.

Absolutely agree with your comments matey, I suspect you probably would be better off had you been a immigrant.

I had reason to ring the Pension Service myself this week as they had screwed up on my wifes pension. What made me a little annoyed was the fact I'm nearly always transfered through to someone who can barely speak english, and I have great difficulty understanding what they are saying and have to continually ask them to repeat it. They then ask MY nationality, and asked if I was indigenous british or not. I asked her why she was asking that question, and she just said it was because they are told to. Surely it makes no difference, but it does make me wonder whether we are being treated differently by the system, especially when that same system seems to have a lot of non indigenous british employee's working for them...lol

Re. advertising your skills and services, its a difficult one to answer, only way to find out is to try. Its getting a regular continuation of work thats the problem, but you have little to lose by trying it.

I hope something comes along, and your luck improves matey.

Take care, I'm keeping fingers crossed for you.
    Last edited by 67688c; 12th August 2009 at 15:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information