Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default help brakes?

hi can anyone help, i have now returned the car to the garage i brought it from a second time for the same problem! the front drivers side brake/wheel area intermittantly squeels only when the car has been driven a while and warmed up it sounds a bit like when u apply the brakes and get a bit of a squeel like your pads are low or dusty, but the noise is intermittant when the brakes are not used and disappears shortly when the brakes are applied, on the first visit to the garrage they stripped both front callipers down and cleaned them up and checked the pistons moved freely and put copper slip in all the right places, this solved the problem for about a day but it has now returned and the car is in the garage again! nb the pads pads seem nearly new and the discs are in good condition and ive checked nothing is fouling the discs especially the metal plates that protect the disc on the inner sides, can anyone shed any light on this matter or give me some pointers for the mechanic?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum 2.0 DTI (Irmscher)

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 2.0 DTI 100 bhp

Year : 2003

Often enough you can get brake squeal if the pads are not running freely enough along the slides but as the garage have stripped them and copper slipped them up this should have cured that problem. Another cause can be cheap pads, the quality of pads often make a big difference. Depending what materials the pads have been made from etc.. Cheap pads can often have hard spots in them and these can cause brake squeal. Normal Vx pads are usually okay, I've never had a problem with them and if you want reasonalbe quality with very low brake dust then have a search for pads called 'Green Stuff' they work a well and many other members sing their praises.

The other thing is how well did the garage strip and clean the brakes before copper slipping? The slides need a good going over to get any surface rust off etc prior to copper slipping. So going on your calipers being in good condition I'd put your problem down to poor quality pads or sliders needing cleaning properly and re-copper slipping.

Just another thought but the garage would (should) have picked it up if it is, the discs could be warped slightly and again can be the cause of brake squeal.

Bri.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default got car back

picked up the car from the garage and theve skimmed the discs and put new pads on and test drove it without any noise, i go for a 10mile blast and the symptoms return allbeit not as often, iv noticed that it stops if i either brake or go over 40-45 mph, any ideas?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

A bit of a long shot but I'd be looking at a lazy or dragging piston.

IIRC, the piston (forget the pads at the moment) is designed to push against the disc when braking and then back off ever so slightly when the brake pedal is released. The difference between the "on" and "off" position is miniscule but if the piston isn't retracting, then it's contantly dragging on the disc. This is known as piston retraction.

With a cold disc from startup, there may be a minute gap but as the wheels go round after some miles, the disc will expand slightly (due to friction between the dragging pad and disc) and hence the noise will be louder.

One way to determine this is to find a quiet road that you won't have to brake on until you stop. Obviously the disc will be cold to start with but after the drive (bring the car to a stop with the handbrake), check to see if the offending disc is hot to touch (BE CAREFUL!!).

I had a similar problem with the old 302's on my GSi when I went to change the pads. The piston was really hard to push back in on the n/s and led to a binding brake. The difference in temperature between the bad n/s and good o/s was very obvious.

When you say the garage stripped the brakes, did they remove the piston from the caliper? If not, I'd ask them to investigate further after you've established what you can from your careful test drive.

HTH

EDIT - also have a look at this http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2002-01-0927
    Last edited by gtr1000; 12th August 2009 at 19:09. Reason: additional info

Thread Information