Thread: 120 8v EGR Valve blanking....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 120 8v EGR Valve blanking....

Recently cleaned out the EGR on my 120cdti with 73000 put it all back together and it didnt really do alot performance wise. I was thinking to myself about blanking it off but heard about fault codes.
    I then read the thread talking about the 'Fiat' plate which almost blanks it off.
    This got me thinking.....now correct me if im making a tit out myself but could you 'crimp' the bottom pipe coming up from the exhaust to make the hole smaller but leaving a big enough gap so the sensors take a reading.
    Would this work or am i in wonderland?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by smiley-sri View Post
    Recently cleaned out the EGR on my 120cdti with 73000 put it all back together and it didnt really do alot performance wise. I was thinking to myself about blanking it off but heard about fault codes.
    I then read the thread talking about the 'Fiat' plate which almost blanks it off.
    This got me thinking.....now correct me if im making a tit out myself but could you 'crimp' the bottom pipe coming up from the exhaust to make the hole smaller but leaving a big enough gap so the sensors take a reading.
    Would this work or am i in wonderland?
    It would,but it's a bit of a botched way of achieving what you want.You'd be better off getting the 'Fiat' gaskets.

I've tried blanking the EGR off on my V6 with varying degrees of success,but I'm getting code p0105 (MAP sensor circuit malfunction).Which means that the sensor was probably not reading sufficient vacuum in the inlet manifold when decelerating.The MAP sensor has some control over the injection timing and fuelling under part throttle conditions which apparently can affect fuel consumption.Since I took the blanking plate off,fuel consumption now seems to be much better ???

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

What about partially blocking the take off on the zorst manifold. I presume its the same as the petrol models where one port has a deep channel in the side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Since I took the blanking plate off,fuel consumption now seems to be much better ???

Didn't you state that your fuel consumption was much better with the plate on?
    Also, where did you put the plate on? The EGR side of the pipe or on the manifold? Not sure I want to do it anymore...I'd get rid of the P0400 rubbish but get P0105
    Last edited by Celes; 11th August 2009 at 01:05.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    What about partially blocking the take off on the zorst manifold. I presume its the same as the petrol models where one port has a deep channel in the side?
    I think that's what he means.The problem is that if you crimp it and it throws up a code,you're then in a spot of bother!

You can do the same thing on the V6 (block not crimp),but it doesn't really matter where you partially block the EGR pipe because anywhere along its length (up-stream or down-stream of the EGR valve) will slow down the flow of exhaust gas.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

No not the pipe. In the cast flange that butts up against the head. On the petrol's the passenger side port has a cut out, so looking at the head it has the 4 zorst ports and then one little port for the zorst gases to feed the EGR. The Manifold bridges the exit port an intake port to the EGR. On the 2.2 its easy, you just fill it with weld but the egr is monitored differently so fully blanking it is simple with no side affects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

P0105 (MAP sensor circuit malfunction).Which means that the sensor was probably not reading sufficient vacuum in the inlet manifold when decelerating

This is the only sensor that is directly collecting data on vacuum etc. in the inlet manifold. Is it the MAP sensor?

Before a good rub and brake cleaner it was all sooted up. I wasn't easy to clean it this well..

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Celes View Post
    Didn't you state that your fuel consumption was much better with the plate on?
    Me too,hence the ??? But now it's even better.

Also, where did you put the plate on? The EGR side of the pipe or on the manifold? Not sure I want to do it anymore...I'd get rid of the P0400 rubbish but get P0105
    The manifold,where the gasket with the tab on it is,just after the corrogated part of the pipe.Unfortunately the problem with 'mods' is that under certain circumstances they are likely to throw wobblies.

The MAP sensor is also GMs way of checking the function of the EGR valve,this usually happens when the vehicle is decelerating.So if you're going reasonably quickly,then take your foot off the gas,and the sensor reads too low a vacuum because the EGR valve is not opening correctly (or is blocked some other way) ........spanner light !

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is it the MAP sensor?
    It doesn't look like a pressure sensor to me.More like a temp sensor ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The MAP sensor is also GMs way of checking the function of the EGR valve,this usually happens when the vehicle is decelerating.So if you're going reasonably quickly,then take your foot off the gas,and the sensor reads too low a vacuum because the EGR valve is not opening correctly (or is blocked some other way) ........spanner light !
    By inserting the blanking plate you don't really prevent the EGR from getting clogged up. All you do is reduce the amount of **** going back into the cylinders. Am I right?
    After a while you would still get the P0400 code, as the EGR would get cacked up...AGAIN

It doesn't look like a pressure sensor to me.More like a temp sensor ?
    I'm curious on what it is. EGT sensor?!
    But where is this damned MAP sensor?!??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information