Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Urgent advice please

Advice needed please....my 17 year old son has run into the back of another car but not for the first time!

He passed his test in January this year and 6 months ago nudged an Audi (of all cars!) in the rear. The owner claimed through my sons insurance to the cost of £1200. My sons insurance gave him the opportunity to pay this back but at 17 he had no means of doing this.

Yesterday he ran into the back of an 05 Peugeot with a towbar so the damage was mainly to his own front end. We contacted the lady involved and she was extremely nice and has taken her car to a garage for an estimate on the damage to her car and is going to get the details and costs involved put in writing so that we can decide whether to pay for the repair or to go through my sons insurance. (she is willing to deal with us and not inform the insurance)

The problem is, if it is too costly for us to pay and we have to inform the insurance, what are my sons chances of getting insured again when it is due at the end of September? he has paid nearly £2000 for his 1st year so I know the renewal will be a fortune as it is and he will have a hefty repair bill for his own car which took the brunt of the accident.

Any advice on anything relevent to this would be greatly appreciated as we are in such a 'pickle'

Thanks
    Jacqui

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

HI Jacqui, As far as I am aware even if you settle the last claim yourself then you still are obliged to inform the insurer, also I would hope the towbar has not damaged the subframe of the Peugeot as this can also be costly. I hope you get it sorted and maybe look at having some lessons for your son to try and improve awareness, we've all been there and hindsight is a great thing but @ 17 I thought I knew it all and wish I had the opportunity to improve after passing my test. Speak to your local IAM they have young driver courses that will also benefit him and maybe even help lower his premium. Good luck.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for advice....and yes, hes a 17 year old who is no different than the next 17 year old (unfortunately). That said, I really needed to know if anyone could answer the question about his insurance renewal or how insurance companies - on the whole- view this sort of situation. Is he likely to be refused cover should this accident be reported? We all know that 17 year olds have a bad track record on the road but this doesnt help me sleep at night either. Both incidents were not at speed, in fact both were due to the car infront breaking sharply having realised they were entering a 30 miles an hour speed camera zone and to my sons credit, he freely admits to 'taking his eye off the road for a split second'. He now knows that a 'split second' is all it takes!

So.....anyone any legal knowledge or personal experience regarding insurance company policy where this is concerned?

Cheers,
    Jacqui

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

no real advise my nephew now 19 has done the very same at 17 he paid £1,700 insurance on a 6 year old fiesta and hit 2 cars from behind now hardly any company will insure him the cheapest quote he gets when looking is £3,000.

my advise is lock him up till he's 30 then try again.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

why dont you speak to chris knott he is an approved trader on here and see what he can do

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I will do just that 'Happypostie' thanks.....and cell, padlock and key at the ready for when he gets home from work lol. God these teenagers are a terrifying worry. In an ideal world, they shouldnt be allowed to learn to drive until they're 21 and when they pass their test, all cars insured by new drivers should have a '40 mile an hour speed limiter' applied!

A friend of my son died 2 years ago after loosing his temper over a girl and then lost control of his car, hit a tree and sadly lost his life.....he was just 18. I keep trying to impress on my son that no mother should have to face this sort of tradgedy.....I must be extremely annoying but it scares the living S**T out of me, it really does. I just hope that these 2 small mistakes he has made, stand as a lesson to my son.

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

unfortunately Chris Knott wont insure till over 21

i feel that the only way you will find out is to ring around the insurers and be open and honest - it would assist if he had been booked into/completed an advanced / follow up course to his "basic" test to show he is taking the matter of 2 x accidents within a year seriously.
    any insurer who should take him on will without a doubt incur a hefty add on to the basic permium and i would imagine even 3rd party cover in a sub 1.0 litre vehicle would be in the low to mid 4 figure market (i.e.£2500-4500)...... sorryto be the bearer of bad news..

good luck and keep us posted

regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just an update. The lady of the car who my son ran in the back of, has just called to tell us that her vehicle is in Greenhous and they have said that the repair bill is £859.....

So now what should my son do? He has to either pay the above bill OR notify his insurance that he has run into the back of ANOTHER car!

Problem being that he hasnt got any savings as he spent them on his first year insurance and buying his car, we havent got any, but on the other hand, if he tells her to claim through his insurance then I dont suppose he will get insurance cover again.

Catch 22! Anyone any ideas? Please?

Thanks again,
    Jacqui

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

my son passed his test at 17 then done a pass plus got 10% off his ins still 1500 pounds one year down the line renewal was 680 for a 1.2 corsa sxi .he had a little bump only broke a tailight and he paid for it himself as his excess was 500 pounds so if you can maybe a small loan to pay the lady for repairs then at least it wont cost as much as he would have to pay his excess and more next year .my son it now 21 and i still worry about him evary time he gos out in his

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information