Thread: Stealers little ********

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Stealers little ********

Sorry guys but i just need to let off a little steam.

2007 Elite 2.8 Auto.
    Had my new Veccy 3 weeks, had to go into VX straight away due to the coolant tank being split, no probs job was done fine.

Since picking the car up it always had a steering wheel vibration, not at a constant speed. 30-45 mph the wheel will wobble gently, but at 65+ the vibration is very severe. It's not always at the same speed though, going round gentle left hand curves it nearly goes away completely, only to come back on straights and right hand curves. Sometimes it is at 65mph, sometimes it's at 80mph, just depends what moods it's in.
    So, i had the wheels balanced twice, Kwik fit and ATS, and the tracking done. Made no difference at all to the vibration.

While this was going on, engine management light came on, so they quickly diagnosed a "sensor" but couldn't replace it while i waited due to having to strip bits off the engine. So, i booked it in for 2 days, today and tomorrow, for the sensor and the vibration to be sorted.
    When i left the car i gave the service girl a nice detailed list of the vibration, what speeds, what happens, how to replicate on a test drive blah blah.
    So i just get a call to say, "yep, we balanced your wheels, that should have sorted it but we haven't tested it yet, and the sensor will be fitted tomorrow".
    Now, i'm cheesed off, i know full well they will expect me to pay for the balance and it will have done diddly squat to the vibration. I'm ready for a fight tomorrow i can tell you.
    Seems VX techs don't know a wheel bearing or driveshaft issue from a wheel balance anymore, "computer says no" i expect, they can't pick their nose without the diagnostic saying so first.

Sheeeesh, sorry, ramble over, i'll crawl back into my whole.
    Last edited by Stevel; 10th August 2009 at 20:24. Reason: Bypassed swear filter

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Take the tech with you for a test drive & explain 'this is what I am talking about' ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Largespanners View Post
    Sorry guys but i just need to let off a little steam.

2007 Elite 2.8 Auto.
    Had my new Veccy 3 weeks, had to go into VX straight away due to the coolant tank being split, no probs job was done fine.

Since picking the car up it always had a steering wheel vibration, not at a constant speed. 30-45 mph the wheel will wobble gently, but at 65+ the vibration is very severe. It's not always at the same speed though, going round gentle left hand curves it nearly goes away completely, only to come back on straights and right hand curves. Sometimes it is at 65mph, sometimes it's at 80mph, just depends what moods it's in.
    So, i had the wheels balanced twice, Kwik fit and ATS, and the tracking done. Made no difference at all to the vibration.

While this was going on, engine management light came on, so they quickly diagnosed a "sensor" but couldn't replace it while i waited due to having to strip bits off the engine. So, i booked it in for 2 days, today and tomorrow, for the sensor and the vibration to be sorted.
    When i left the car i gave the service girl a nice detailed list of the vibration, what speeds, what happens, how to replicate on a test drive blah blah.
    So i just get a call to say, "yep, we balanced your wheels, that should have sorted it but we haven't tested it yet, and the sensor will be fitted tomorrow".
    Now, i'm cheesed off, i know full well they will expect me to pay for the balance and it will have done diddly squat to the vibration. I'm ready for a fight tomorrow i can tell you.
    Seems VX techs don't know a wheel bearing or driveshaft issue from a wheel balance anymore, "computer says no" i expect, they can't pick their nose without the diagnostic saying so first.

Sheeeesh, sorry, ramble over, i'll crawl back into my whole.
    With the steering wheel wobble it is also worth looking at tyres and position of weights.

I had severe wobble from about 60 mph+ with Acceira tyres (XL) even though they were balanced again at another garage.

I replaced them with Falken ZE 912 91W tyres last week and no more wobble. The weights for both tyre brands were/are down the centre of the wheel and the Acceiras had mahoosive rim protectors, whereas the Falkens have none. It's a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

How are the tyres on the car? What make are they?

It sounds very much like you may have a defective tyre? My guess would be a slight bulge. Alterntively I'd be looking at the wheel bearings, NSF in particular.

Just out of interest what sensor has gone?

Bri.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for the info guys,

I'll let you know what sensor went when i get the car back later today.
    The tyres are Goodyear NCT all round, all good.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see if there wheel balancing is any better than the other 2 attempts, i was letting of a bit of steam so perhaps i was being a little harsh. I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VXR Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2800

Year : 2008

Mileage : 3000

easy way to check whether its the tyres is either change them side to side i.e put left ones on right side if non directional tyres. Or swap front to rear
    Then you will see if its a tyre/wheel problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi All,

Thought i'd give you an updagte, and admit to being a complete a r s e for having a rant.

It turns out the reason the engine management light came on, was to do with a "gearbox control module". VX replaced this and hey presto, it's as smooth as a babys backside, not a murmur from the old girl, sweet as a peach.
    Still suprised that the control module would have caused all that shenanigins, but hey.

Girl on reception said the module was about £600, so thank you very much 3 year warranty eh!
    So fair play to Swindon Skurrays.

Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So what about the wheel wobble?

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    So what about the wheel wobble?
    .................... any update .........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry guys, i was referring to the wheel wobble, it's all sorted, all they did was to replace the gearbox unit and hey presto, wheel wobble is all gone.
    Figure that out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information