Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default UK War in Afghanistan could go on for 40yrs

I note with interest todays comments by one of the top army generals and top chief of Staff predicting that the war in Afghanistan could continue for another 40yrs. Rather makes a mockery of earlier defence minister John Reids comments, quote 'we will be in and out inside three weeks without a shot being fired'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghanistan.html

The USA was in Vietnam for almost 15yrs (1962-75).... hell... we were only fighting the french for 100yrs. How they can make such statements is ridiculous.
    Based on the fact that the indigenous british citizen will be in the minority within 30yrs anyway. (government figures) The majority in the Uk by then will likely be moslem anyway, and the church of england and the catholic church replaced by the teachings of the Koran.

This war in Afghanistan will expand to involve substantial more troop numbers, and more troops means more targets, resulting in more un-neccessary deaths.

We need to extract ourselves from the mess this government has got us involved in. You cannot beat a so called enemy, almost invisible, fiighting in his country, where he knows the terain and country like the back of his hand.
    Yes.. we will kill a few of them, but they will continue to hit and run, using techniques which no regular army has effective defence against because its virtually impossible to defeat terrorism, especially on their own soil.

Leave Afghanistan to the Afghans, and bring the guys home. The enemy is here not over there!
    Why dont we ever seem to learn from history.

One thing is certain, and something that may effect our younger generation in particular, is that fewer numbers than ever (which is understandable) are volunteering for the army, it's only a matter of time before the government will be forced to initiate some form of conscription.
    Last edited by 67688c; 8th August 2009 at 11:02.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Shocking stuff! I think its a bit of an exageration though, as they said something similiar about Iraq and theres no Brits there now.. I don't believe the Afghan government will want us there that long anyway. They already seem to be taking the same approach as the Iraqi's and have said they would prefer that their 'army' did all of the work, while we watched and helped with defence if things went wrong.

Obviously their army is nowhere near large enough or skilled enough to do the work on their own, but its only a matter of time before they will be, especially with funding from the US. So I think 10-15 years at a very maximum is most likely, if not too long.

As for recruitment, the numbers are at full capacity at the moment when it comes to the ground corp's such as infantry etc. Its only the skilled corps that are lacking, and always will be, as the numbers they say they require compared to the maximum capacity forecast for the army (something like 107,000) clashes!

I think the rest of NATO forces however need to put more effort in. By the way thats aimed right at the Cheese loving surrender monkeys over in France. The eastern block, scandinavia and benelux, are all chipping in as much as possible. Even germany are looking at raising their outlook, but where's the french? I think the Russians will input some troops before the frogs!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Daily Mail readers....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by knoxvillain View Post
    Daily Mail readers....
    At least its readers have the creativity to make a constructive post.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    Shocking stuff! I think its a bit of an exageration though, as they said something similiar about Iraq and theres no Brits there now.. I don't believe the Afghan government will want us there that long anyway. They already seem to be taking the same approach as the Iraqi's and have said they would prefer that their 'army' did all of the work, while we watched and helped with defence if things went wrong.

Obviously their army is nowhere near large enough or skilled enough to do the work on their own, but its only a matter of time before they will be, especially with funding from the US. So I think 10-15 years at a very maximum is most likely, if not too long.

As for recruitment, the numbers are at full capacity at the moment when it comes to the ground corp's such as infantry etc. Its only the skilled corps that are lacking, and always will be, as the numbers they say they require compared to the maximum capacity forecast for the army (something like 107,000) clashes!

I think the rest of NATO forces however need to put more effort in. By the way thats aimed right at the Cheese loving surrender monkeys over in France. The eastern block, scandinavia and benelux, are all chipping in as much as possible. Even germany are looking at raising their outlook, but where's the french? I think the Russians will input some troops before the frogs!

Well thanks to Saddams regime there was not the same confrontations with the Taliban quite so much as there is in Afghanistan, which is home territory for them, so its not quite the same.

Regarding UK on the ground fighting forces, my son-in-law (marine Lt.)(BTW hope you never have to meet him, he's one of the Docs at camp bastion) he tells me there is approximately 88,000 combat troops. That's not counting the many thousands of course needed in support duties. Also at any one time there is roughly 20% off sick. (Yes 20%, govt figures, not mine)
    They would like to see the max number rise upto around 120,000 according to the defence minister.

Crazy, but do you know that in the early sixties we still had almost half a million in the army, however, when I was in they were cutting them back as fast as they could. Our nephew is currently doing a spell in the recruitment office at the Pallasades, B/ham, and he reckons, he has never known so few enquire about joining up. He reckons families are currently more inclined to discourage a familiy member from joining while this lot in Afghanistan is going on, especially with indications we may be sending more troops in the future.

I fully agree that its about time other countries contributed more to the Nato Alliance, and AYS especially France. Unfortunately this has always been one of the biggest flaws of Nato. ie. member countries unwilling to stand up and make a commitment. Sadly its these attitudes from some nations which IMO severly limit Nato's effectiveness. Very similar to failings in the old League of Nations years ago.

History shows, the burden has more often fell to the same countries to make sacrifices, unfortunately in our case in 2009, they want a army but don't want to pay for it, and moreover cannot afford it anyway due to the exorbitant waste in other area's.
    Taking into account inflation costs over the years, we spend a far less percentage of the GNP on the defence budget now than we have done for centuries. A mistake IMO that may yet prove very costly.

Anyway matey... you take care of yourself..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As the late veteran Harry Patch said:

One life wasted on war is too much.

Not very constructive, I know, but very poignant.

It was naive to think we'd be in and out in 3 weeks.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

At least its readers have the creativity to make a constructive post.
    I wouldn't waste my breathe on a piece of Daily Mail journalism.

I think its a bit of an exageration though
    That's putting it politely.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On the subject of the Daily Mail, I used to have it when I lived in london. I liked it a lot.

Ever since moving down to the West Country, I have move allegiance over to the less chewy Daily Mirror.

The negativity and sometimes hate, in the Mail was getting me down.

Don't think that I don't respect the Mail: I just wanted something less negative to cast my eyes on.

Just my opinion of course.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by knoxvillain View Post
    I wouldn't waste my breathe on a piece of Daily Mail journalism.

That's putting it politely.
    I fully agree, I did state I thought the suggestion was ridicious. The fact it was so ridiculious was what prompted the post.

I tend to read most of the online papers, though some are alike of course due to same ownership. I dont have allegience to any news paper, take them all with a pinch of salt.

In the case of the Mail group, they at least share a equel dislike of this government as I do, and go to some ridicious lengths sometimes to illustrate it.. .lol

TBH I think they are all the same, The BBC is just as bad, one day the recession is over, next day..it going to last for 10years..lol. Even Robert Pestons started to become annoying.

There is this ongoing insatiable appetite for news all the time, even if the news feature is totally ridicious.

I gave up buying newpapers ages ago, ocassional one might find a interesting read, but most of the time they all spout a load of crap... a bit like me.

The media in the UK have a lot to answer for, pushing the bounderies of truth/integrity most of the time. The thing is... sensationalising a story sells newspapers, and I'm sure its probably more important to them to sell papers than it is to report the truth and the facts, which may be boring.
    Last edited by 67688c; 8th August 2009 at 16:10.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Haha I read the sun.. if at all.. as you said the papers make you want to take up noose tying lol. Plus out here a paper on camp costs atleast 1.50 euros! For the 35p ones that is!!!

I'm more of a googler myself, and wiki answers. Although heard these weren't to reliable sometimes either

The random fact that amuses me the most about Afghan though is that the Taliban are slated as drug lords.. however not long after they first seized power, they banned opium production for almost 12 months before realising that the country had no other means of income!

Shame theres not that many upto date books on Afghanistan.

The army is a heck of a lot smaller too, but they did say they wanted to cut it right down before the end of the century (that being 2000) and I remember just before my dad got out they were even paying people off, to cut down on the amount of top brass they had. Probably more of a money saver though lol.

It would be nice though if we stopped saving the world from drugs and tackled the heroin addicts in our own borders. They might think twice about dealing when they have marines jumping through their windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information