Thread: 3.0 cdti shuddering/juddering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3.0 cdti shuddering/juddering

I have previously posted about clouds of black smoke under hard acceleration and had lots of good replies. This is still unresolved and has actually gotten worse after towing a caravan for 500 miles. Now smokes under mild acceleration and even when revving at standstill. I noticed with the van on the back that it would hesitate occasionally at 2000 or 3000 revs when accelerating to overtake.
    I now notice that the car has pronounced shuddering/juddering in what I presume is top from around 1500 revs up. At first I thought it was the road surface but when I lift my foot from the throttle it is smooth. The shuddering instantly returns as I touch the throttle again even without increasing the speed. It does the same if I put it onto cruise.
    Car is 12/03 estate auto, 100K miles, serviced by Dealer as per book (last done at 92K, + cambelt, gear oil and brake fluid changed).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

could be a sticky injector or the valves in the hp fuel pump. Have a search as i'm sure mtc had his done.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fuel injection problem...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My car had this with the previous owner, it was a faulty injector, the juddering is the engine misfiring. The V6 is so smooth its less noticeable than in the 4 pots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks, all. Could a faulty injector also be responsable for the clouds of black smoke or the hesitation? I actually think the shuddering has been there a long time but only noticed it because I had some metal tools at the back which rattled as it shuddered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Forgot to say I have never had the spanner light on. Would any fault codes be stored?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

1. Clean the EGR
    2. Try some injector cleaner IF the juddering is not severe
    3. Judder around 1500rpm - supposedly the suction valves on the fuel pump are faulty
    4. If you hear a knocking sound under hard acceleration from 1400rpm, 1 or 2 injectors are weak.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks, I'll listen out for that. The shuddering is not severe, its just that now I know it is there I am looking out for it all the time. I shall try some injector cleaner - in the fuel?
    When I am feeling brave enough I shall clean the egr.
    Any one - if the spanner light has not come on will any codes be stored?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have the same sort of problem with mine, my of mine has given me the following information

There is a field remedy (1957) from vauxhall for similar problems to yours.

You should contact your local dealer to see if they have carried this out or not.

Field Remedy: 1957
    Subject: Engine Y30DT, High Pressure Pump - Lack of power during acceleration
    Models: Engines: Option:
    Vectra-C 2003...2007,Signum 2003...2007 Y30DT| Z30DT,Y30DT| Z30DT
    Complaint: Engine lack of power during acceleration. During investigation with TECH2 a pressure drop between actual rail pressure and desired rail pressure is visible.
    Cause: Blocked suction control valve (SCV) within the high pressure pump.
    Production: Modified production process (earlier changing of manufacturing tools, improved cleanliness) implemented at supplier. Countermeasures were implemented with engine number 69692 (01.09.2006).

Remedy:
    Before carrying out Technical Service Bulletin 1957 update ECU with modified software as of TIS 2000-DVD, version 76 (a modified software regarding high pressure diagnosis was implemented, improved DTC: P0093 detection).
    If the DTC still occurs refer to the following snapshots in datalist 2 "NOK I". The snapshot shows an increased fuel flow restriction within the fuel feed circuit.
    1: desired fuel pressure 2: actuel fuel pressure
    We recommend to disconnect the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, blow them by compressed air (in disconnected condition) and finally to replace the fuel filter assembly.

The snapshot in datalist 2 "NOK II" shows a constant drop of actual fuel pressure and identified the suction control valves (SCV) failure.
    1: desired fuel pressure 2: actuel fuel pressure

In case of an identified suction control valves (SCV) failure replace both suction control valves (SCV) of the high pressure pump as discribed below.
    Important: - During the complete procedure it is obligated to work in a clean environment. - Prevent contamination at SCV area. Small contaminations, which cannot be seen by eye, can cause major problems on engine performance. Particle size of 0,3 mm, can be already critical! - Do not use gloves. - Do not use SCV in case it has been dropped. - Make sure that pressure in the system is released before loosening the pressure connection pipe between pump and rail. - Disconnect battery after failure checking procedure. Wait for a few minutes before starting SCV replacement procedure in order to prevent any system action.
    Working Procedure:

1. Remove high pressure pump
    - see working procedure "Replace high pressure pump", group "J", Service-Instruction Vectra-C/Signum. (Document-Number 01201498)
    2. Seal junctions of high pressure pump (Picture I)
    - attach plastic cap (5) to high pressure junction - attach 2x paper collar (3) with 4x seal ring (1, 4) and cap nuts (2) to fuel feed junction and fuel return junction
    Note: All junctions of high pressure pump should be closed right after removing each fuel line from still installed high pressure pump.

3. Clean high pressure pump.
    Note: Brush off all dirt and rust using wire brush. Spray off dirt and rust using parts cleaner.
    Important: The area around the suction control valves has to be cleaned very thoroughly!
    4. Loosen suction control valve (1, Picture II)
    - remove 2x screw (2)

5. Remove suction control valve (Picture III)
    - rotate suction control valve (1) to remove it from high pressure pump
    Note: Keep work area clean and make sure no contamination gets into and around suction control valve mounting hole.

6. Prepare new suction control valve (Picture IV)
    - apply clean engine oil to both o-rings (1) of suction control valve

7. Insert suction control valve (Picture V)
    - push suction control valve (1) into pump housing in direction of arrow using both hands

Note: Several mm clearance (1) between suction control valve flange and pump head will remain. (Picture VI)

8. Attach suction control valve
    - Install 2x screw by hand - tighten 2x screw with tool until suction control valve flushes with high pressure pump
    Note: Tighten each bolt alternately to prevent suction control valve inclination.
    - tighten 1st screw 13 Nm - tighten 2nd screw 13 Nm - re-tighten 1st screw 13 Nm
    9. Replace 2nd suction control valve accordingly.
    10. Remove seals from junctions of high pressure pump
    - remove plastic cap from high pressure junction - remove 2x paper collar with old seal rings and cap nuts from fuel feed junction and fuel return junction
    11. Install high pressure pump
    - see working procedure "Replace high pressure pump", group "J", Service-Instruction Vectra-C/Signum. (Document-Number 01201498)
    12. Conduct performance and leakage check
    - Conduct High pressure test by following TIS 2000 steps - Checking procedure (Tech2) - Non Guided Electronic System Diagnosis - B: Functional Group Test - B-004: ACTUATOR TEST - T-008: (for Z30DT T-009) Tester Display Fuel Leakage Test
    Spare-Parts: Part-No.: Catalogue-No.:
    Kit-suction control valve 98086740 8 19 348
    Labour Times: TC: Hours:
    U3 195 70 Install Kit-suction 92 5.9 control valve
    The costs for this repair will be covered during the normal warranty. The regular warranty procedure should be used for claiming Set-up-time.
    FunctionalGroup: J - Engine
    Complaint Group: 13 - No/Poor Function,20 - Poor Performance
    Trouble Code: None

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wow, interesting stuff. My 3.0 has done this occasionally. Better get it in before the Network Q runs out.....

Phil

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information