Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default They dont build them like that any more

and to most thats a good thing
    As a classic car owner people often tell me about the things i dont have in my car which is commonplace, or expected, today. Air con, cruise, electrics everywhere etc etc. But what about the things on the older cars that you dont get nowadays?
    For example, the seat recliner/adjustment lever on my Cresta seats are a lovely chrome affair with metal and bakelite handles. Even the Recaro (yes Recaro!!!) badge looks like something that a worker has put pride into. It feels solid and like it would last another 40 years.
    What do you miss about old cars? (or am i the only 41 year old fart on here)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm a good bit older than you! What do I miss? Actually being able to understand how everything worked. All the modern ECU technology is mind-blowing but I used to enjoy spending hours getting gaps and dwell angles right and knowing the car was going perfectly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm with you there. I can fix anything on my classics, but these modern cars, you dont need to be a mechanic as such, the computer you plug into the car does the fault finding for you.
    I took a head off one of my beetles to replace the rocker shaft and valves. i didnt have a valve spring compressor so i took the head to a garage to get it done. They had to look for over 15 minutes to find their compressor, and the lad was making such a pigs ear of it i did it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Most modern cars don't really have any passion or character in them. The 80s killed it all with the common use of computers and plastic everywhere.

They may do more, and are probably more dependable while their new, but they go stale very quick, and I find I'm constantly at the mercy of the stealers. There is so little that can be fixed at the roadside these days.

As a kid, I remember my dad had a Mk2 Granada 2.8 Ghia. It was an absolutely stunning car, and I would so much love to get one to tinker with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There are quite a few around swaite53, the tin worm has got most of them now and they end up on the track.
    Im talking about rusty Fords and i own a 60's Vauxhall....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 150,000

As another 41 yr old, I loved my old Toyota Corolla 1980 saloon.
    Not a classic car, but when I part ex'd it for another car, I regretted getting rid within a matter of hours...probably didn't help that my next car was a 1986 maestro. eek!!

Manual sliding sunroof, mono radio (no cassette), plugs points and condenser..ahhh bliss.
    No electric windows or central locking that will pack up after six years of service.

Fortunately for me I am quite good with electronics...and usually most electrical faults are down to corrosion, water ingress or poor wiring and connectors...so not really rocket science.
    This new can-bus stuff though really takes a lot of the more techy stuff out of my hands as well.
    On my vectra I tend to find a way of wiring something in like the old days...switch in the dash...to a relay, then onto the accessory...that's how I did my fogs!!
    It means I can get some things working without touching the can bus system.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by Swaite53 View Post
    Most modern cars don't really have any passion or character in them. The 80s killed it all with the common use of computers and plastic everywhere.

They may do more, and are probably more dependable while their new, but they go stale very quick, and I find I'm constantly at the mercy of the stealers. There is so little that can be fixed at the roadside these days.

As a kid, I remember my dad had a Mk2 Granada 2.8 Ghia. It was an absolutely stunning car, and I would so much love to get one to tinker with.
    My old mans next door neighbour just scrapped a minter, he was given £200 He's in his 80's, it was kept in a heated garage and no expense spared. The A8 he has now is stunning but it just hasn't got that zing.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What i like about owning a classic above all, is it has head turning effect on everyone. folk are always looking as you paas by, wether they're on foot or driving past you.

Mine is a lowly Mk1 Astra, but its 25 years young last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with all said in previous posts, but in older cars ( particularly Fords), I don't miss the not starting on a cold damp winter morning!!!!!!!!

That's probably one of the best steps forward: You can just normally go out and the car will fire up first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I remember being able to have cold air on my face and hot air on my feet. A simple thing that kept me alert but warm. Being able to understand and fix the motor helped. I stripped a carb once, at least 70 parts spread out on newspaper in the kitchen... ah those were the days. No fault codes or EM lights, the car either ran well or it didnt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information