Thread: regional differences in politeness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default regional differences in politeness

just spotted this in a different thread, i have moved around the country a fair bit over the years. and spotted differences in regional styles of politeness
    When i lived in Bristol if you stopped to let some one pass or gave way. every one local would pop there hand up to say thanks. it was a really nice place to drive. every one was courteous and it made people less stressed.

now i live in Coventry and if i pop my hand up to say thanks or stop to let some one pass. nothing not even a sign of acnolegment of me even being there. and if i go out of my way to let some one through i expect a thanks ?
    and when i don't get it i get really ****ed off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well after driving some 200,000 miles over the last 3 and half years all over britain and this includes bonny Scotland,i can vouch for your statement,generally speaking the most discourtious drivers i have found,just happen to be in London,and the reasons i think are pretty obvious..ie people being lost and this apparantly applies to 30% odd drivers at any given time,and a host of other reasons like congestion and driving pace etc etc,people will dissagree but, this is not a personal slant at anyone who happens to reside in LDN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

I lived for 20 years in South-west London, and I found that people there are less friendly than those in my native Merseyside. As a Northener, though, I would say that, wouldn't I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i also now go seriously over the top when i know some one is not going to thank me. a real nice sarcastic thanks make me feel a hole lot better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I reckon that the politeness of people increases the further you get from London. Mind you, fewer and fewer people are polite these days.

Bah humbug!

Regular Member silverhairedracer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On a similar note,Last night I had to pick a chap in my taxi who is now severley dis-abled having slipped down the stairs he can bareley walk with the aid of crutches,any way I stopped as near to the house as possible motioned to the car behind I will bw a few mins,and went to help the guy from his front gate as we got to the taxi door a woman had stared to try and squeeze her car through a gap that did not exist and sounding her horn as well,did I let rip at her told her in no uncertain terms what I thought of her and the reason why the guy was on crutches,she went very quiet,the car who was behind me shouted out...take your time mate I can wait that could as easily be me your helping there.
    Just shows how two people behave on one situation.
    Sorry If i have steared away from the thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john_k_sri View Post
    I lived for 20 years in South-west London, and I found that people there are less friendly than those in my native Merseyside. As a Northener, though, I would say that, wouldn't I?
    you come from the south your not a northener i find most veccy drivers polite and thsts about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I live and work in Scotland. I'm from Fife and travel to Edinburgh to work every morning. I have, however, driven in various places in England; Manchester being one of them and I have to say the standard of politeness does increase the further North you go. I'm English but appart from they're hatred for our football team and media, the scots are mostly quite a courteous breed when on the roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've found that in West London where I live, and also in East London, drivers will stop to let you out of side turnings where the traffic is too busy to exit otherwise....probably because they know in a few minutes time they'll be the ones trying to exit onto a busy main road. In central London, however, it's very different - so many of the drivers are "professional" drivers (and I don't confuse professional with expert) such as bus drivers, taxis, couriers, chauffers, lorries etc etc, and they don't display any courtesy whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Elite Nav Grand Sport

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2017

as my home town of lanark has expanded over the last few years i find courtious drivers have lessened its probably more people on the road all with important places to be

me mysely can be courtious but all it usualy takes now is for someone not to aknowledge the fact that i have let them pass or out at a junction then thats it noone else gets let out for the rest of the day

its probably a bit of a selfish attitude to have but as lump says i also get very ****ed off when i dont get aknowleged

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information