Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We are off to France..fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers OC. Fiat do make a fine diesel.. Mrs R's Golf likes a drop of the black stuff too.
    All within VW limits according to my friend the ever smiling Gordon at the Plymouth VW dealer...ummm.

We saw the big rides Marky, a combination of Brittany Ferries food,an ear infection, a Sou' Westerly gale in Biscay and that ride would have finished me off

looked excellent fun though. It took us a long time to get from Royan around the coast towards Marennes.We thought that the traffic was like Nice..ie too heavy to be enjoyable.

The Gironde / Medoc area was quiet with massive beaches & surf. Friends who went to the Vendee had the same experience as you so, we hoped that a few miles further south would get the sun.
    Its a gamble as too far you can get the unsettled weather from the mountains / Basque area.

If you are happy with a beach holiday or watersports on the Lac or sampling wine, then the Gironde is a good place to be.

Its on my list or retirement places too.
    Last edited by Readster; 18th August 2009 at 20:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Did you stay at Marennes? Can you recommend anywhere around that region with plenty to do/see but avoiding all the traffic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We drove around the Royan - Rochefort area on the way home Marky.

I wanted to see the Ille d'Oleron as a possible for 2010 as its not quite as far to travel but,we decided to go to lancanu Ocean next year. Its a bit like Newquay with sunshine.
    Drive from Roscoff to Bordeaux and across to LO on road 6.

There is so much choice isn't there !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We drove there on mainly toll roads but it seemed to take ages and cost more than the route planner said they would . I wanted a change on the way back and drove a similar way back to you heading for Rochefort, La Rochelle and via Le Mans to Le havre. Tried to avoid the toll roads for a change and the drive was very enjoyable. The villages and towns as you head further North are lush and green and really picturesque. There is loads of choice and well baffled for next year. The car is out of warranty and this is slightly concerning but then again people drive abroad with much older cars than mine. We are also considering flying and hiring a car and heading right into the south. There has been talk about us buying a caravan early next year but not sure about that one either. Really undecided

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We have flown to Nice and hired cars, usually something like a C-Max, but the costs (inc full insurance) ruled that out for more than 7 days,so we decided to get the ferry from Plymouth - Roscoff and drive. Bordeaux is about 460 miles. The toll roads aren't too bad...£16 for a 90 mph cruise. skipped a lot of France to get to our destination asap though. We had a wander around on the last day and then hit the toll road as time was pressing..
    We have wondered about the possibility of driving to Nice / Frejus too.
    I agree about Northern France. I had a tour around the WW1 battle sites with a couple of mates a few years ago and thought that St Omer - Cambrai was lovely.

You had a long drive from Portsmouth to home too. How far is Bedlington?

We noticed the amount of large motorhomes and posh caravans that were about. The motor-homes are available in France to hire for 1900 Euros for 2 weeks. After the effort of towing a hire caravan to the Lake District with my RS Mexico years ago I'd need persuading to tow one across France but, it is an option and a Vec is a good tow car.

I reckon that a well looked after car should do any holiday trip but, I would always have EU recovery !
    Last edited by Readster; 18th August 2009 at 22:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bedlington is just north of Newcastle and about 360 miles (approx 6 hours) from Portsmouth so it means we usually have a couple of overnight stays either side of the holiday. I always make sure we have European breakdown cover but just think I am getting paranoid something bad will happen to the vec whilst abroad. I love this club and has proved invaluable as a good source of information but I think sometimes a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. Ignorance is bliss so to speak!!
    Anyway I am sure we will end up driving and doing the same next year. We will probably end up buying a caravan as it gives you the option of year round cheap holidays in UK as well as main summer jaunt to France. Cant wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We're heading here in two weeks http://www.champs-blancs.fr/htm/en/c...ps-blancs.html

But not before a stop over in Germany for a night!! According to route planner 2032 miles before getting lost!

I'm bricking it, taking my car round the ring and I got to drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Matt&Jemz View Post
    We're heading here in two weeks http://www.champs-blancs.fr/htm/en/c...ps-blancs.html

But not before a stop over in Germany for a night!! According to route planner 2032 miles before getting lost!

I'm bricking it, taking my car round the ring and I got to drive
    That site looks lovely. Have a good one mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Marky, good idea with the caravan. We'll tent it again next year I think. Maybe get a bigger tent.Trouble is I can see us buying a trailer too, especially if we take the 2 Labradors...

Matt & Jemz, lovely area and the site looks excellent. can you let me know your thoughts on it when you get back please.
    Are you going Plymouth - Roscoff as I see you live in god's other chosen country, Cornwall ?

Cheers, John
    Last edited by Readster; 19th August 2009 at 17:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Readster View Post
    Marky, good idea with the caravan. We'll tent it again next year I think. Maybe get a bigger tent.Trouble is I can see us buying a trailer too, especially if we take the 2 Labradors...

Matt & Jemz, lovely area and the site looks excellent. can you let me know your thoughts on it when you get back please.
    Are you going Plymouth - Roscoff as I see you live in god's other chosen country, Cornwall ?

Cheers, John
    Been before, went last year and one of the guys we're going with has been three times that I know of but think he's been a few more time. The camp site that we saw last year was great, but was out of season though. All the caravans have their own hedges areas so are quite private and have a table and chairs provided outside for you with parasol. And we feel it's good price too.

We're sailing Dover-Dunkerque as we are going to Germany for a night first. What's it like sailing from Plymouth? We've never done it that way. But bleeding prices of ferries now Gone the days where you could get a return for £30 or less

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information