Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Urgent help needed - overheating

Hey all,

Just got back from 2 months in Canada with the army, just waiting to drive my beloved Signum...

..Past couple of days its been warm (although no warmer than it was before i left on some days), so had the windows down, and been wondering if that smell of old coolant bubbling was from me.

Just went for a drive around town and noticed the gauge reading around 90-94 when sat in traffic. Now usually i would say 90 was a max and it comes down to 80-85 when at speed, just put this down to the heat from the turbo.

Popped the bonnet at the side of the road and there was hissing and bubbling from one of the hoses on the header tank. The smell, was definately from my Siggy.

Waiting for her to cool down now, so I can check my levels and consider flushing my coolant through. (was serviced by vx earlier this year.. but possibly the coolant mix is too high?).

Please let me know if anyone else has had this problem, or if I am just scaring myself because im driving off to Italy in 2 weeks.

Any help is welcome,

Luke

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just an update. Let the car cool down, and the header tank had less than a cm of coolant in it. Pretty sure it wasn't like that this morning. Topped her up and gave her a quick bleed, then a heavy 5 minute drive when warmed up.

Didn't go above 86 or 87 degress but it is the evening. Still think it could be seeping from the hose to the header tank, however it could be from where I filled it up.

Oil is like honey with no mayo. Coolant looked clear...

Heating works fine, and the cold air setting is outside temperature.

Don't think it makes a difference but the aircon needs refilling as its reasonably cold but smells horrible! Possible cause? Shouldn't be but I dont know.

Any Help pls?

PS I have the 2.8 V6 Turbo

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

I wonder if the termostat has stuck, due to the lack of use. The aircon might just need one of those aircon cleaners, to get rid of the bacteria in the aircon matrix.
    Also you might have had an airlock in the cooling system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Finally got my act together and popped the bonnet.. The leak is either from the hose connecting the header tank to the pipe that runs down the turbo. Seems okay but it does have sidewards freeplay so the clip may need replacing.

However it seems more like it is a cracked header tank. God knows how as the car is only just passed its 3 year mark!!! But I can see a hairline mark just below this connector which the coolant seems to be seeping from..

As I am in Germany I will have to go to the stealers for a quote on the parts. Can see this being expensive due to my great english accent. Anybody know of a website that issues new Vx parts?

Cheers Ed for the help

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by luke4487 View Post
    Finally got my act together and popped the bonnet.. The leak is either from the hose connecting the header tank to the pipe that runs down the turbo. Seems okay but it does have sidewards freeplay so the clip may need replacing.

However it seems more like it is a cracked header tank. God knows how as the car is only just passed its 3 year mark!!! But I can see a hairline mark just below this connector which the coolant seems to be seeping from..

As I am in Germany I will have to go to the stealers for a quote on the parts. Can see this being expensive due to my great english accent. Anybody know of a website that issues new Vx parts?

Cheers Ed for the help
    This may tide you over for a bit link hth .......................

or this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VECTRA-C-HEADE...d=p3286.c0.m14 ....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the links I am a fellow ebayer myself so i did look before and they differ from my expansion tank Plus I do want a new one, so atleast it comes with warranty if its ******ed.

Just been down the stealers at Opel Bergen in Deutschland.. and they quoted me (and i accepted cos im daft).. wait for it..

197 euros!!!! Just for parts.. but the generous little B****rd said I could have it for 190. Thats like 170 quid for a coolant tank, two small hoses and two hose clips..

Be interested to find out if that matches up with UK prices? Anyone know?

Thanks, will update you when its fitted in next couple days

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Would it not be cheaper (if is less money here) to get one in the UK & post it to you .....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah thats usually the case. Germany isn't cheap with the exchange rate at the minute, never mind when you order it from an area full of soldiers where they like to bump the price up a little bit.

Unfortunately I'm on summer leave and have loads of things planned, including Italy and the 'passo dello stelvio' (greatest driving road in the world suposidely) in 2 weeks, so want to repair it ASAP incase any other problems arise.

My main problem now is finding a pollen filter!! can't get one for the 2.8 Turbo on ebay, and they were quoting 20 bucks again at Opel (when every other cabin filter i have ever bought has been under a tenner).

Am i the only owner of the 2.8 in the world lol? Seems pretty uncommon.. ahhh new thread me thinks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question

Hmmm well.. parts were fitted. Strangely the new header tank seems to be made of a different plastic, and the hoses are quite a bit thicker than the old one. VXR header? Or just a new/Opel version?

Well shes been topped up, bit steamy but 99.9% sure thats the coolant I let drip all over the exhaust (whoops). Not leaking anymore. Bit of help though, as can't remember myself, as I never really paid attention lol.

Its 20 degrees outside and muggy. Took her for a drive and she sat between 85 and 90 as normal. Brought the Sig back and rev'd her on 4000 revs with the aircon on full blast, for around 4-5 minutes. Took it upto around 93 degrees where it stayed, then after 30 seconds dropped down when the fans came on to 89 where it stayed as I let it run on idle.

This seems okay, and I haven't rechecked the level, which I will do tomorrow (Although it was ran with the cap open and hot and cold used on the fan so shouldnt be any air in there)

Possible for someone to run the same test? Or if they know this is normal, just let me know before i go driving off somewhere far and blowing up my beloved car..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

I am sure mine runs at about 85/ 87"ish" degrees. The fan does cur in on mine too. But have not noticed at what tempreture it does though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information