Thread: Carreer Change

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Carreer Change

Going on a bit from Caprimans dilema, I've just about had it with my job as a mobile auto electrician installing gps, hands free kits, parking sensors & telematics systems. 2 years ago when the company I'd worked for for 8 years closed down and being 25 I thought this could be point in my life I could make a change in carreer for the better, instead I walked straight into a similar job with same pay & only real benefit being a fully expensed car, oh & now being field based it's great as you have no one over your shoulder.
    Now 27 I'm begining to think wether I should of took a carreer change more seriously.

What I was woundering is who of you lot do what, do you regret taking that carreer a few years on & would you suggest to someone to take it on?
    Personally I don't think I could ever go back to being stuck in the same building day in, day out anymore but other than that I'm up for anything.
    I know we have a few plod amongst us, have thought about that but our county recruitment site say they have no openings at the mo. Wouldn't mind traffc officer for highways agency but again no openings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wanted to become a Highways Agency traffic officer, it's my ideal job. There were only two problems with it: there is no base near where I live, and the pay isn't nearly as much as I earn now and I couldn't afford the paycut.

Shame really, I would so love that job...

Register with their recruitment site mate, they email you updates on vacancies. It's very useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just realised I never answered your question. A career change is always a good thing because you get a new challenge. however, if you're happy doing what you do then that's the main thing.

I'm happy with the career path I'm taking - I can see myself going far in the motor trade which is where I'm laying my roots, so to speak.

Incidentally, Highways Agency recruitment site re my above post is www.betterhighways.co.uk .

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I changed firm a couple of years ago, but same job - railway designer. I went from a local large firm (7 years served) to a small firm located 82 miles away. They gave me a car for the travelling. Looking back it was the best thing for me at the time. I got the extra experience I needed, plus a different outlook generally on how different sized firms work.

After running out of work I got a job back local, different firm but large again, but with the extra experience and different outlook. Made me so much more relaxed regarding work, re career progression. Just do your job as well as poss, but dont **** lick and dont work stupid hours, it doesnt count for anything. When you REALLY realise this, work becomes so much more stressless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

I'm having the same dilema at the moment. The firm i work for wanted me to cover the North West and West Midlands at the interview. When i got my van and did the 2 week induction i was told that i would be covering the East Midlands area up to the Leeds/York areas too I just try to do my job but keep getting extra miles and areas lumped on as they want. I've tried refusing but it falls on deaf ears. I don't get mileage or overtime payments either! I really need to change jobs too but the money i do get paid is still above the average for the job i do.
    If i change careers it means starting on the bottom rungs of a ladder that i am at the moment near the top of. I've been doing this job for 10 years now (3 with this company) I spent 14 years in factories but like being out and about too much to go back, i think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I changed from a lorry driver to being in the office 2.5 years ago. I'm only just catching up with my wages from then, have more pressure, do, surprisingly, more strange hours and have to deal with more idiots than I ever did out on the road. I won't go back to it just yet though. I'm going to try getting a similair job elsewhere to judge how badly off I am. If it's the same then we're off to France, I'll buy a Tractor unit and spend two weeks a month running other peoples trailers over Europe. The other two, I'll sit in my vineyard watching grapes grow and getting sunburn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Okay then.....

I am one of the afore mentioned Plod (I prefer Police Officer by the way!!!! ) And I love it..... as many of you know I've only been doing it a few months, and every day has been different so far. It has its highs and lows, and its boring times stuck in trying to get paperwork done, but more than anything Its the variety that I love; you just never know what you're gonna be dealing with next. I have no regrets at all, I came to this from a similarly high variety job in the police control room, but now its even better cos I get to be outside dealing with things, which is a lot better than the same 4 walls day in day out.

As for becoming a HATO (Highways Agency Traffic Officer)..... I have a mate who's been a HATO for about 2 years, and he's bored to tears with it..... up and down the motorway all day dealing with breakdowns, debris and the occasional shunt.... the public don't like you because they think you're like the police and the motorway police are wary of you cos they think you're taking their work off them. On the plus side the money aint bad, but its hardly the most invigorating profession to be in. As I say, this is just what I have picked up from my mate (who incidentally is so sick of being a HATO, is now applying to be a "Plod"!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've studied 3 years of Media Technology at uni, and 2 years of computing science before that. but even though I flew thru the stuff I hated most of it. I hate anything computing related now and moved into banking. started telephone banking 2 years ago and loved it . hopefully in september i'll be moving to Gogurburn -edinburgh to start a career in corporate banking. and I'm really really looking forward to it.

you just need to find something that you enjoy doing and something that offers good career progression. at 22 I'm prob not the most experience person to be saying this though

I think it was a chinese saying : "get yourself a job that you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew's SRi
    I changed from a lorry driver to being in the office 2.5 years ago. I'm only just catching up with my wages from then, have more pressure, do, surprisingly, more strange hours and have to deal with more idiots than I ever did out on the road. I won't go back to it just yet though. I'm going to try getting a similair job elsewhere to judge how badly off I am. If it's the same then we're off to France, I'll buy a Tractor unit and spend two weeks a month running other peoples trailers over Europe. The other two, I'll sit in my vineyard watching grapes grow and getting sunburn!

While admiring your OPEL in the driveway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran
    While admiring your OPEL in the driveway
    No. It'll be a Scania. Two reasons;

1 an Opel of any kind cant pull a 44ft trailer,

2 I have enough trouble rowing in English with Vx. If you think I'm doing the same in France of all places with a broken down Opel, you've another thing coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information