User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any advice on de-coking a 2.2 DTI?!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Any advice on de-coking a 2.2 DTI?!

Hi, n
    Despite my first car being a nova (white of course!), my 04 signum is my first vauh in over 10 years! I've had it a month and have done about 2,500 miles (now 41500).
    The first 1000 miles i drove like a granny, got 57mpg and even though it felt a little flat (not limp home mode but just not what i expected) it was great, then the problems started. Essentially the egr valve problems, spanner light, revs dropping, stalling, etc (well documented on the forums!, though i have never had any starting problems and whenever it happened turning the ignition off for 20 seconds made it all go away)
    I cleaned the valve with some improvement but it still happened intermittently, though not as frequently. As my pregnant wife is using the car, i bit the bullet and replaced the egr valve.
    Since then it has never stalled but in the last 1000 miles or so on two occasions the spanner light has come on, i've dipped the clutch and given it some throttle, on both occassions the light has gone off.
    Since replacing the egr valve economy is down to 46mpg, but i am much more aggressive on the throttle and really trying to clean the engine through on the general advice on the forums and cos the exhaust manifold that the egr valve sits in was so dirty! (The garage said that with 39k and deposits that thick, the previous owner must have actually been Miss Daisy!)
    That's really my concern. I can live with 46mpg, but am worried about the long term consequence of driving so aggresively? Also as the exhaust side of the engine is so utterly coked up (it literally feels like a layer of black fur all over the inner surface of the manifold!) that it surely can't be good for air flow / efficiency/ etc. Is there a way of decoking this area? What's the final advice on 2-stroke oil / ptfe/ other fuel additives? Will sealing off the egr valve stop all the exhaust gasses recirculating, increasing emmisions but reducing the cruddy deposits and therfore improving general running?!
    Sorry it's such a long post it's taken me this long to read through all the previous threads and i've ended up with loads of questions!, but any pearls or nuggets of wisdom would be warmly welcomed
    Thanks in advance!

Ps just to say even though at no point did the light stay on when i ran the diagnostics, the egr valve was the only code! Hence why i eventually replaced it.
    Last edited by JoseBlanco; 30th July 2009 at 23:11.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

Quote Originally Posted by JoseBlanco View Post
    ...it literally feels like a layer of black fur all over the inner surface of the manifold!... that it surely can't be good for air flow / efficiency/ etc. Is there a way of decoking this area?
    Mine has that 'black fur' all over the inner surface too. To clean it you actually have to take the manifold off. Driving agressively won't do the engine any harm, if you wait a minute or two before you turn it off and if you don't race with the motor cold.

Will sealing off the egr valve stop all the exhaust gasses recirculating, increasing emmisions but reducing the cruddy deposits and therfore improving general running?!
    Sadly you can't do that on a DTi. It'll throw up the P0400 fault code

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I haven't cleaned a thing on my 2.2DTI, I just run Millers diesel additive from Halfords. Try a first bottle double dosed, then drop back to the standard measure. I don't use supermarket fuel. The car has now done 112k miles and as far as I can see from the service history, it's still on the original EGR valve.

I might try cleaning the valve some day, but the car is smooth and powerfull, and averages 37mpg mixed city and urban driving, it's a private hire taxi.

I have enough nightmares reading of all the Vectra faults on here without peeking inside stuff looking for alien soot

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Thanks for the input!

I've had a few turbo'd engines in the past and tend to slow down a bit towards the end of the journey and leave the engine running while i grab all my stuff to take out of the car (a human turbo timer i guess!).
    I've slowly come round to the idea of using an additive occasionally, having seen the effect supermarket fuel had on the general running of my old (admittedly petrol) engines and the mild but noticeable improvement in idle and pickup with additives. I'll definately try the millers for diesel and avoid some of the other scarier stuff the forums have mentioned!
    It's a relief to know it's not just my manifold that's caked in the black stuff! I considered removing the manifold but it looked like a multiple hour job and as it's running ok i'll leave well alone for now.
    I did think that just disconnecting the egr or sealing off the opening would be a bit dodgy, but there seemed loads of advocates on transits, old bmws, and older fords too. I figured that as the 2.2DTI has been around abit and was not a CTDI it might tolerate it, but frankly i don't know enough about diesel engines to risk it especially with all the egr/turbo trouble you hear about on PSA diesels.
    Thanks for your thoughts and for replying so quickly, it seems like a really friendly forum.
    Jose
    Last edited by JoseBlanco; 31st July 2009 at 17:38.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's a shame you can't block the EGR valve because they have a really bad effect on motors. In my old ezzie diesel I blocked it off with a ball bearing as advised by a mechanic. The effect was stunning, like he'd given it 20hp

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Signum

Trim : Sport

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 12/03

I figured that as the 2.2DTI has been around abit and was not a CTDI it might tolerate it,...
    You can do that on a V6 CDTi

Thread Information