User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Modified Fuel Regulator for 2.2 engines - Beware!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Modified Fuel Regulator for 2.2 engines - Beware!

I am one of those unlucky people who has a 2.2 Signum which has undergone virtually an entire fuel system change. So far:
    1 x swirl flaps and stepper motor
    1 x Fuel Pump
    4 x Regulators

Had the modified fuel regulator fitted earlier this year after yet another failure. Was told this one had been modified by Vauxhall and would not fail and that there had been no failures of this unit.

Well earlier this month I returned from holiday, put the car on the drive, got changed to goto a wedding, and then went out to the car and it failed. EML on, power goes, then it won't start, just cranks over. Thought possible flooding, so left it till the next day. Runs fine again.

Go to Birmingham with work last week and runs fine all day, driving back and get caught in a bit of traffic by the M4 and low and behold the EML comes on again. Take it steady the 20 miles back to my house, turn off engine and restart. All works ok, but don't take it out.

Went out on Saturday, got caught in a bit of traffic on the M3 and the EML once again comes on. Take it around 70 around the M3/M25 to get back home, and for some reason get 40MPG out of the car (I've never gotten 40MPG out of the car!) Led me to think the swirl flaps has stuck closed, leading to the reduced fuel cons, got it home, left it running for a couple of minutes, then moved the car to reverse the car and it stalls. All power goes, and it won't restart, just cranks.

took it to the garage this morning and overheard the guy in front of me with a Vectra. His car had the same problem, and had similar problems before. Booked mine in and told him the problem, to which he said "yeah, sounds like the fuel regulator, the gentleman behind has the same problem. Had two failure last week, and more than likely it is the same problem. The modified fuel regulator doesn't seem to have fixed the problem, and it's just overheating."

Looks like all that denial by Vauxhall of a problem with the regulator, which they have modified, is still present. Seems to be the same problem, the weather is hot and it's overheating. Seems like this may be a recurring problem over the summer, and the failure rate of the new unit seems to be higher than the old one.

Everyone beware! I've still to find out what is wrong with mine, but my instinct is going to the regulator again. This could be an uncomfortable summer for Vauxhall. I've already decided to sell mine next week and get something that works!

Good luck everyone

Knocker

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds an utter nightmare,veccys seem to suffer this problem,but for some odd reason it seems to be more siggys that vecs.
    Will be interesting to see what the insignia has up it's sleeve...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by sparky71a View Post
    but for some odd reason it seems to be more siggys that vecs.
    Think it might be because all siggys are fitted with the YH and only YH's were fitted to the vecs from 2004 onwards. Pre 2004's were fitted with the SE, same lump but a more reliable traditional fuel system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think it's more siggy's simply because the base model is the 2.2 engine, which is where the problem is. with the veccy's, the 2.2 is towards to the top of the range.

doesn't seem like the insignia has had the best of starts. before all these problems on mine i would have considered one, but am pretty much convinced now I'm going to stay away from vauxhall until they get their act together. can't fault the dealership where i take it in for repair, but vauxhall customer service on the telephone is just rubbish and don't want to admit that their cars suffer any fault, ever.

I joked with the chap at the garage today that they will probably just do well to fit a huge fan to the regulator to keep it cool......can't do any harm

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

update to this. it is the modified fuel regulator that has failed, although vauxhall in Luton are washing their hands of it and even calling their dealers and techincal team incompetent because it is quite obviously another problem with the car (quote from the customer service rep who is not a mechanical engineer or knows anythign about cars - my dealer is putting in a formal complaint about his attitude!).

Anyway, there are no fuel regulators in the UK at the moment and they are on at least 2 weeks back order. so if you do have a problem, you are pretty much stuffed and unless your car is in warranty, Vauxhall main don't care. in fact, my dealer seems to think that vauxhall aren't actually working on a fix because it is cheaper to just replace the part when they fail. I feel a letter to VOSA might be called for here.

Thread Information