User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: UK Calls For Afghanistan Peace Deal - weve had enough?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default UK Calls For Afghanistan Peace Deal - right move or not!

I dont know what to make of the governments decision to try and strike a peace deal wth the Taliban in Afghanistan.
    What's your opinion?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghanistan.html

I could understand the decision if it had been the Taliban who had made the appeal for appeasment , but that appears to not be the case. The government state they would like to do a peace deal similar to what was done in Ireland.
    In my book what this really means is that the government is prepared to repeat what they did in Ireland, and pay large amounts of money to some selective terrorists and individuals (many are now MP's and ministers) in order to achieve a so called peace. The monies (or bribes) are considerably less than what it would cost to purchase the needed helicopters, and equipment to maintain or to even expand our war effort in Afghanistan, therefore the government will save very large amounts of money indeed.

Many people may ask... what's wrong with that!. Well... with the utmost respect to those who have needlessly lost their lives in this conflict, I think that such a move at this time sends a message out to the world that Britain is now totally unwilling to finance its armed forces, and will give up when troops are lost.

Most members on this forum know that I have always supported our troops and as a ex-serviceman myself I always will at every chance I get, purely for the reason that because they volunteer, it prevents my sons or your family members having to be conscripted in their place.

The fact is they are doing a job that in reality very few young men in the UK today would even have the courage and guts to do.

While I would normally welcome anything that saves another of our UK parents from losing a loved one, and ultimately would always prefer a diplomatic solution to any conflict rather than the sacrifice of more lives being lost. I believe over time, the price we shall ultimately pay by showing that we are not prepared to finance or are not prepared to suffer losses in any conflict that we commit our troops, will result in irrepairable damage to the UK's reputation in the world, as we have never seen before.

A well known general once said at a dinner speech, that there are 3 things you need to learn in the army.
    1: if it does'nt move.. Paint it!
    2. Never go to war with Russia
    3. Never go to war with Afghanistan (yes I know its not the Afghan government/or people we are fighting before someone states the obvious)

This government took us into this un-necessary conflict in both Iraq and Afghanistan based on a total pack of lies, despite what they claim, it has not made this country a safer place, quite the opposite IMO, and now after committing the country, resulting in the needless loss of many of our brave young men, they send out this message to the world, 'basically that we give up and wish to seek peace'. Its sent the message out that we are not prepared to finance our forces and make a proper definative commitment.

I truly feel sorry for those guys still out there, and even more so for those 20 who have been killed this month, I can only imagine what their thoughts are on our brilliant government's latest decision. This government chose this route! and this is how they resolve it!

Ultimately it will have to be resolved diplomatically but this is not the time to show we are not prepared to take casualties or prepared to finance the conflicts we get involved in.
    You cannot keep buying people off, there are still issues in Ireland, it's a purchased peace thats about as solid as jelly, and doing the same in Afghanistan (at this time) is not the correct route.

Much better to have not rushed in.... dont you think! Time we had some politicians with some brains, because we certainly have had none for a very long time.

Rant over.
    Last edited by 67688c; 27th July 2009 at 18:48.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Amazing really - no country has ever "won" a war in Afghanistan - and all the "superpowers" past and present have tried - they all finish up pulling out in the end - usually looking pretty embarassed. You'd think politicians might learn a bit from history - especially the Brits - as we'd already been there before and failed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The British have actually been there twice in the past with the same result each time.

Modern day politicians do not appear to have the basic common sense to consider the wider implications of the decisions they make. Things like signing up to the Human Rights Act without considering all the implications of how it could be applied and the effect it may have on the whole of the legal and justice system in the UK etc.

Harold Wilson may not be rated highly by some for his accomplishments while prime minister. However he did have the wisdom to refuse Lyndon B Johnsons request in 1965 to send british troops into Vietnam or to get involved in any way whatsoever.
    This caused some bitterness between the two governments for several years, but he could well have been weak and stupid like Tony Blair and committed many tens of thousands of our troops.

Australia obliged the USA's request and was involved in Vietnam from 1962 until 1975 and had up to 60,000 troops in vietnam, with almost 600 killed, and thousands injured.
    Ultimately, the inevitable outcome was the same, massive loss of lives, all for nothing.

Thank god we had politicians at that time who had the brains and integrity to see the implications of involving the UK, and did not make decisions on a whim merely to impress a friend or for self gloryification as Tony Blair did.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dac100 View Post
    Amazing really - no country has ever "won" a war in Afghanistan - and all the "superpowers" past and present have tried - they all finish up pulling out in the end - usually looking pretty embarassed. You'd think politicians might learn a bit from history - especially the Brits - as we'd already been there before and failed.
    nobody wins a war full stop mate......ex fusilier 1 rrf///// soon to be doing private convoy protection afghan/iraq.....we are all pawns in in somebody's game.....what you remember is we used the taliban many years ago they know alot of our tactics and the media doesnt help broadcasting every ****** thing before it happens

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nobody wins a war full stop mate......ex fusilier 1 rrf///// soon to be doing private convoy protection afghan/iraq.....we are all pawns in in somebody's game.....what you remember is we used the taliban many years ago they know alot of our tactics and the media doesnt help broadcasting every ****** thing before it happens
    Whatever I think of the politics, I've got tremendous respect for the UK Forces out there and for anyone who's willing to work there. So good luck when you're there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dac100 View Post
    Whatever I think of the politics, I've got tremendous respect for the UK Forces out there and for anyone who's willing to work there. So good luck when you're there
    As above... yes you take care matey when you get out there, and importantly come back safe.

My son in law has already done 2 tours at camp bastion and is due to go back out again in September.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nuclear bomb.

Thread Information