Thread: Scraping noise from rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Scraping noise from rear

Evening all, just a quick question. i have a 57 plate, 1.9CDti SRi, Vectra C and have just descovered a scraping noise coming from the rear of my car when i brake, am i right in saying that this will either the brake pads or discs or both? and how much would you expect to pay for some new ones?

Thanks

Benners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah sounds like the pads definetly, how many miles have you done and when was the last time the discs were done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could well be the pads. About 1 year ago, mine started scraping from the rear when braking. I thought it was the pads, so took the car in to local VX dealer.

He didn't even look at it, but said it wasn't the pads as there was a warning light. I always thought it was only on the front pads, but he said, that it's on both front and rear. He said it was probably just a stone or something.

I listened to him - how stupid of me. It got worse, and the car was now due for an MoT. Took it in, and again, told him the problem. He said he'd look at it. Got a phone call, it had passed the MoT with no problems. I asked about the pads, and he said they were fine and weren't worn, it was just rubbing. I carried on driving it and the scraping became permanent.

I took it back again, and insisted on a mechanic coming out with me. The mechanic instantly agreed it was the pads, so it was booked in. However, where the pads had gone down to the bare metal, they had damaged the discs as well, so I had to have new discs and pads. If I remember rightly, this cost about £120 for the pair. I believe the pads were about £60 for the pair, IIRC.

Also, where there had been metal rubbing metal, and hot dust had welded itself on to one of the rear wheels, and would not come off at all. I tried everything, but it was literally welded on. The wheels were losing their shine anyway, so had all the wheels refurbished, which was well worth it, as it made such a difference to the overall look of the car.

When I tackled the service reception guy, he said that he THOUGHT there were sensors for both front and rear, but there is only a sensor for the front. Vauxhall obviously assumed that the front pads wear out quicker than the rears (they generally do, but there is no guarantee of that). I was also told by him that the MoT only has a breaking efficiency test and a 'quick' look at the pads, so is no real inspection on condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great stuff, thanks for the replies. i have been quoted about £150 for the rear brakes including dics and didnt know if that was reasonable or not hence why i posted the thread on here. the car has done just under 28,000 miles so i assume these are the pads and discs from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are you sure you need discs as well? They would only need to be changed if the pads went down to the metal and damaged them.... has the scraping been there for some time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Benners View Post
    Great stuff, thanks for the replies. i have been quoted about £150 for the rear brakes including dics and didnt know if that was reasonable or not hence why i posted the thread on here. the car has done just under 28,000 miles so i assume these are the pads and discs from new.
    I'm assuming that includes fitting? As the pads and disks can be bought as an all-in-one a kit from Vauxhall dealers for about £60-65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Benners View Post
    Evening all, just a quick question. i have a 57 plate, 1.9CDti SRi, Vectra C and have just descovered a scraping noise coming from the rear of my car when i brake, am i right in saying that this will either the brake pads or discs or both? and how much would you expect to pay for some new ones?

Thanks

Benners
    Just had this problem myself on a Vectra 1.9 CDTi at 25,000 miles (I'm the only owner and new March 2007).

The outside pads were OK, BUT the inside pads were down to the metal and NO WARNING LIGHT, £180.00 to replace both rear discs and pads.

Not a happy bunny as the car was serviced in March and all was OK.

Paul W. H

Thread Information