Thread: Locking Wheel Nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Locking Wheel Nuts

Left for work this morning, and noticed I had a puncture. It was pouring down with rain, so I wasn't best pleased. Opened the bout, got out the jack, spare wheel and wheel nut key - by now already soaked through.

I put the key on the wheel brace, and with only hand strength, somehow managed to destroy the locking wheel nut key (The inside thread just ripped out). Had no chance of getting the wheel off, and didn't know what to do. I decided to phone Green Flag, and all they could offer to do was to recover the car to a designated location. They wouldn't attempt to remove the wheel as they said it may cause significant damage, which they can't be held responsible for. The nuts came fitted with the wheels when new.

I phoned my local VX dealer, who said they'd look at it today, so I took up Green Flag's offer of taking the car to the dealership. The dealership have so far been unable to remove any of the nuts, or to trace what key cut the nut is. They said that they can't trace what cut the key is, and the only option is to try to heat the locking nuts up and snap them off, which will probably damage the alloys in the process and would take a considerable amount of time.

This is a strange thing to happen, and wondered if anyone has any experience or ideas, or could possibly throw any light on the following:

1. Green Flag said they couldn't do anything to remove the nut. Is this true of all recovery companies eg. AA, or is it just Green Flag being silly? (they are cheaper than the AA, although the service was excellent - arrived within 10 mins of call).

2. Is it possible that my VX dealer really can't locate the Key pattern and just supply a new one. I've got all the original documentation (Car Pass etc.), and thought there were only a few combinations and I would just be able to buy a new key? I'm afraid I'm going to get a £200 bill for their time.

3. The Green Flag guy said not to use locking nuts as he sees this quite a bit. It's left me in a right mess, but luckily I was at home. If I was on a motorway or country lane in the the middle of the night, this could have turned very nasty over something that should be simple to put right.
    When (if) they do manage to finally get the nuts out, should I refit some locking nuts, or just stick to normal ones? The Green Flag guy said, I could claim off the insurance should the wheels be taken.

Any thoughts anyone may have, will be greatly appreciated. I'm really tempted not to replace them with locking nuts, but it seems like a big chance to take. Has anyone ever had their wheels stolen? I've only ever seen it on TV.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Swaite53; 21st July 2009 at 13:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a very similar issue mate. If you've got the original VX wheel nut kit with docs, it should have a code on it. With this you can buy they key from VX or a new set of lock nuts and key with the same code. This is what I did and it only cost me £25 ish.

HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I ,had the same problem as did my Son with his Astra.Both cars where in last month for a service,My son went to change his alloys and couldn,t get the locking nut to move,he eventually ******ed the socket.The alloys had been put on too tight.Went to Vx and kicked up,they drilled out the old nut and replaced the damaged nut and also give him a new socket.I went to remove mine last week and the locking nut sheared off.Went to them this morning and they are ordering me a new socket free of charge.(Takes approx 2 days to get).The number for the key is usually in the plastic box containing spare wheel bolts.Hope you get sorted

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by s1nglef1sh View Post
    I had a very similar issue mate. If you've got the original VX wheel nut kit with docs, it should have a code on it. With this you can buy they key from VX or a new set of lock nuts and key with the same code. This is what I did and it only cost me £25 ish.

HTH
    I have the 'Key Code' for my locking nuts but have recently removed them due to the continuing problem that others have experienced. ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    I have the 'Key Code' for my locking nuts but have recently removed them due to the continuing problem that others have experienced. ....
    I make sure and only ever tighten them lightly by hand and don't bother torquing them up. The other 4 bolts are more than enough to secure the wheel so I don't have any problems anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had exact same problem tried to get it off myself.... couldnt so took it to my local garage (not vx) he had a set of keys one of em fitted and got it straight off. cost me £10. for his 5 mins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

I have heard of keys that will remove "all" locking wheel nuts. Im sure someone on here mentioned them once. I will try find the thread.

Seems to be a comon problem with VX locking nuts though, my key did the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had the same problem, but didnt have the code for a new key, went down to the dealer where one of the mechanics came out with a bucket of random keys, we went through over 100 and none fitted, then one of the guys from masterfit wondered over to see what was going on, with another 2 keys and like a miracle he first one he tried fitted ! The mechanic then sold me a new set of locking wheel nuts for £20 cash.
    Probably the only time i've come out of VX dealer smiling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. It seems it is quite a common problem. I did buy the car new, but didn't have the plastic box. I did with my Vectra B, but nothing with this one. I didn't realise there was a code in the box, and it seems like the salesperson who sold me this car didn't either. The dealer said without it there is no way of taking them off without damaging them (I don't care about the nuts, but care about my wheels and wallet).

As someone said, I thought that there may be a Master Key. The nuts in the wheel are perfect (well, were when I left the care with them), so in my mind, it just seems a matter of finding a key to fit them. I've never liked taking the locking nuts off, as with the key on the end of the brace, it feels like it's going to snap.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by s_zigmond View Post
    I have heard of keys that will remove "all" locking wheel nuts. Im sure someone on here mentioned them once. I will try find the thread.

Seems to be a comon problem with VX locking nuts though, my key did the same.
    There are a few on dbay for sale but it's one of those thing you only use once (I hope) ......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information