Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I'm an idiot! Rant inside....

AARRRGGHHHHH why didnt i pay more attention!!!! coming up to a roundabout the guy in front of me stopped so i stopped behind im. He started to move off. He crossed he give way line as i pulled forward as i got just over the line and was looking over to the right i saw someone coming...i braked and looked foward and tried to steer right as he was still there all in the space of less than prolly 10 seconds and less than 4 yards and less than prolly 15 mph! and CRUNCH ........ right into the Offside Rear Quarter of an 06 plate BMW 5 Series.

I felt like a right idiot!!! he prolly shudnt have stopped but i should have paid more attention! ive damaged my front slam panel a little bit put a hole in my front bumper were it connected with the slam panel and damaged the reflector inside my headlight. His car was a bent bumper and a damaged rear reflector..

AAARRRGGHHHHH ive now got to pay my high excess of 600 and ive got my coilovers and new brakes on the way as well and was looking at getting myself some alloys.... All kinda ruined by 10 seconds of not paying attention!!!!

I suppose it was bound to happen eventualy...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thankfull you wernt hurt or hurt someone else

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Elite Nav

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2012

Mileage : 9k

it happens mate but cars can be fixed the main thing is that your ok

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First of all, what they said up there ^ - glad you're not hurt and it's light damage.

Second, try and think of it as a learning curve - it's alright anticipating when you can go, when approaching a roundabout or junction ... but that last head-check over the shoulder before changing lane, or to the front when you're looking to the right at a roundabout, will (hopefully) save you repeating the experience.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

PS - above not meant to be read as condescending - I've been on the receiving end in a collision under identical circumstances, where I was driving the car in front and was baulked by somebody flying round a roundabout at speed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry to hear about your mis-app matey its easily done, especially having such a high excess to pay, that figure is very high indeed.

The situation you discribe is extremely common, having had a couple near misses myself many years ago, I now never take my eyes off the vehicle in front at islands etc. until I've actually seen him drive off. It may cost me a couple of seconds, but what's a couple of seconds when it can mean the difference between life and death.

The number of times that drivers always look towards traffic coming round the island when they still have vehicles directly in front of them really makes me smile. Afterall, they cant go anywhere, so why are they looking and taking their eyes off the vehicle in front, which is where the iminent danger really is.

However, one is always wiser after the event, as I am sure you are too, at least no one was injured and that's what really matters. If we never made mistakes we would never learn from them, hopefully if given another chance we dont repeat them.

Learning this lesson early and always leaving plenty of space between my vehicle and the one in front especially at speed has certainly saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by 67688c; 20th July 2009 at 20:58.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think i'd made the assumption he was gone and he even said on the phone when i rang him to swap more details that looking back on it he had plenty of room he just hesitated.

But Yes i've learnt from this so many times before been in a similar situation i was thinking of my next destination and bang... I know i should have anticipated and my dad (been a driving instructor) mirrored the comments you just made.

Whats been the most sobering thought (albeit probably wouldn't have been as bad as my mid thinks) i could have had my pregnant girlfriend in the car with me at the time.

But chalk this one upto experience 5 years driving and only incident *touch wood*

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

IF the damage to ur car is less then 600 you might aswell get it fixed YOURSELF..ie Local garage...Quicker and less hassle then thru insurance..and let him claim on ur insurance...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jasone View Post
    I think i'd made the assumption he was gone and he even said on the phone when i rang him to swap more details that looking back on it he had plenty of room he just hesitated.

But Yes i've learnt from this so many times before been in a similar situation i was thinking of my next destination and bang... I know i should have anticipated and my dad (been a driving instructor) mirrored the comments you just made.

Whats been the most sobering thought (albeit probably wouldn't have been as bad as my mid thinks) i could have had my pregnant girlfriend in the car with me at the time.

But chalk this one upto experience 5 years driving and only incident *touch wood*

Your've not done so bad then matey, both my 2 sons have done exactly the same thing twice now at islands, its easy done. No one is perfect, we can only try to be. I've done some crazy things when I was a bit younger that I would'nt even consider doing now.

How come that excess is so high, ? is that a typical amount that younger drivers in their twenties which I assume you are have to pay these days just to get insurance. My excess is £75 so £600 sounds a really extortionate amount to me. I only pay £240 which includes NC protection and legal cover, and thats on a new Insignia, obviously one of the few benefits of getting older.
    You have my sympathies having to pay that much, seems an awful lot to me, but credit to you for at least having insurance.
    I can understand a little more now why some young people dont bother, not that I condone having no insurance of course.

Though obvously one might expect older drivers to pay less for their insurance, there does appear to be far too much difference in premiums when it comes to insuring younger drivers almost to the point of exploitation.
    Anyway Jasone... hope you get the car repaired quickly, and I wish you safe driving matey.
    Last edited by 67688c; 20th July 2009 at 21:55.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Damage to my car i estimate would cost about 400 but the balls already rolling to get it fixed, saving me time and hassle i suppose.

Yeah i dont think i've done too bad so far! The reason for my excess been so high was to try and get my premium down to 1000. Thats on a 1.8vvt 56 Plate vectra.

I did have a 1.6 8v 93 cavalier that i was paying 1,400 for. and before that i had a 1.6 16v 1996 vectra that was 1,400. I've had plenty of quotes for things from the usual hatches to big saloons and i think i only saved about 100 a year for getting a corsa through insurance, so got the vectra.

Insurance is a lot i do understand that us younger drivers (myself been 21) are more at risk, and they can only make a blanket opinion. I understand why there are people that break the rules and don't insure their cars but it makes people like you and i suffer for it. The more...senior?? people i suppose suffer for us "reckless" youths! making you doubly more effected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information