Thread: Clutch Change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Clutch Change?

My dti has got a squeak whilst idling in neutral with the clutch pedal released. It stops when i press the clutch and select a gear. I've had it looked/listened to at by my local garage and they think its the thrust bearing. I got a quote from vx for a new clutch, at £432. Will a clutch change replace the thrust bearing or just the plates? (i've never had a clutch change before and my knowlege of clutches is limited) My local garage also mentioned they think the thrust bearing and the cylinder are the same unit, is this acurate? I've a Y20DTH and an F23 box if this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by storey_3000
    My dti has got a squeak whilst idling in neutral with the clutch pedal released. It stops when i press the clutch and select a gear. I've had it looked/listened to at by my local garage and they think its the thrust bearing. I got a quote from vx for a new clutch, at £432. Will a clutch change replace the thrust bearing or just the plates? (i've never had a clutch change before and my knowlege of clutches is limited) My local garage also mentioned they think the thrust bearing and the cylinder are the same unit, is this acurate? I've a Y20DTH and an F23 box if this helps.
    This sounds steep. I have had squeaks with the pedal action before and caused no problems over the years. If the clutch is working fine then I would leave it for now. You can always check the operation by sticking it in say 2 gear put the hand brake on and let out the clutch slowly. It should stall the engine, basic as it seems it will let you know if the clutch is ready to go. Try it and check this for your self.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks kc, tried the 2nd gear thing and it stalled fine! its only done 48k so the clutch should be ok i guess. Its just that damn squeaking, its defo coming from the clutch area!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if your thrust bearig goes, it may well prevent you from changing gear. On older vauxes (sorry I dont know anything about the new boxes) you could remove the clutch and thrust bearing wihin an hour. The thrust bearing sits between the arm that moves with the clutch pedal and the clutch. it allows the clutch to keep spinning whilst seperated (clutch pedal down). If this stops working then I would think that disengaging the clutch would be very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Think you're right there ian, vx think its more likely the release bearing (I'll have to take their word for it) BTW, a thrust bearing is £111!!! just for the bearing! But hopefully its the release bearing, included in the price! I was actually very surprised to find that vw were the cheapest of all the quotes i got for a clutch change! Almost happy with that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The £111 for the release bearing is steep but it's not a usual style bearing unit.. it's a hydraulic unit mounted into the clutch housing. think more small hydraulic cylinder than a ball bearing race.. Gone are the days of the easy change clutches..now it's gearbox off( or to the side ) to gain access..

They should replace this unit as part of a clutch change, it's stupid not to whilst the gearbox is off..Just check what you get for your money..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yeh. thanks guys, been researching prics and stuff. gonna cost any which way!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

GSi 3.2 is right

I had to do it on my last Vec B. The subframe has to come off, gearbox out and then change the release bearing / slave cylinder unit mounted on the inside of the gearbox bell house. Takes quite a long time, so can believe the quote you got, still a lot though. The price for the unit is about right (£110 ish)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd try oiling the spring on the back of the pedal, and if that dont cure it, I'd live with it, annoying i know, but you could spend and get it back with something else not right on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Booked in with vx for thursday, they are gonna sort it. Its def in the clutch housing, not the pedal and its started doing it at about 30mph. Oh well, once its sorted its sorted (in theory! ) Wish i could be more like these people who can just ignore it or turn the radio up! I'd save loads!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information