Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Rear Brake Questions

Hi I am a newbie on ere. It was recomemended to me by a mate to try you guys for some assistance. I drive a 07 SRI 1.8 Vectra.

Today i have noticed a grating noise at the back end under braking. I am assuming its the pads that are low. I have tried to have a look but the locking wheel nut doesnt want to come off with the basic wheel wrench and its started to round so i am gonna call into a garage and have it removed with a gun.

The questions i have is

1, I have only done 27k is that about right for the life expectancy.

2, Does anyone have an idea how much the replacement pads should cost fitted or supply

3, Is it likely that i will need the discs replacing even at such an early time in the cars life.

And finally i may have to use the car this week before i get chance to sort this, will it cause me any major problems.

Thanks in advance for your help people

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Hi mate, welcome to the site. The rears tend to go before the fronts, and its the inner rear pad that always tends to go first. At 27k i'd say yes, some rears do tend to go at that mileage, but others have been on till 60k. Good rear pads should cost you about £20. You wont need rear disks unless you drive on them too much with duff pads. Try Autovaux in Wakefield for your pads. HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First of all welcome to the site...

I believe Vectra is harder on the rears than the fronts. Saying that my car has done 44000miles and I've never changed them.

To "push" in the rear caliper you need a brake rewind tool. If you "price" this item before phoning around for a quote then you will be in a better position to make a decision.

I was told that my front discs were wearing but the pads have about 5mm left in them. Strange that the pad material is harder than metal.

Have a look at the HOW2's as they show you how to remove both pads and discs. If you have the right tools (7mm allen key, brake rewind tool and a torx bit) then its a straight forward job. If you don't have these tools then maybe a garage is a better option. There is no harm in taking off the wheel and having a look....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by John35 View Post
    First of all welcome to the site...

I believe Vectra is harder on the rears than the fronts. Saying that my car has done 44000miles and I've never changed them.

To "push" in the rear caliper you need a brake rewind tool. If you "price" this item before phoning around for a quote then you will be in a better position to make a decision.

I was told that my front discs were wearing but the pads have about 5mm left in them. Strange that the pad material is harder than metal.

Have a look at the HOW2's as they show you how to remove both pads and discs. If you have the right tools (7mm allen key, brake rewind tool and a torx bit) then its a straight forward job. If you don't have these tools then maybe a garage is a better option. There is no harm in taking off the wheel and having a look....
    Cheers for your replys. Since i posted i spoke to an uncle in the trade and got some further answers. I have decided due to the fact i might get the job done cheaply that i will take it to the garage. The discs are fine and i wont be doing too many miles in it till the pads get replaced.

I did try to take the wheel off as it looks like the outer pad has plenty left on it so its likely as you say to be the inner pad. I am having a problem using my original wheel wrench with my locking wheel nut and its started to round so before its completely goosed i will get the garage to get the wheels off and sort them out

I did have a browse earlier though and saw the how2 guides and had i the tools i would have had a go. I also have an astra mk5 thats gonna need front pads soon so i might have a crack with that one.

On another note this site might have saved me some wedge anyways as i am due for 2 new front tyres on the vectra and reading various posts on ere i have found out about using 225/45/17 instead of whats fitted 215/50/17. Looks like a no brainer now so thanks again you lot.

Thread Information