Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any Iron Maiden Fans Here ?

Interesting quote in Classic Rock mag this month from Paul DiAnno

He's likened founder member and bassist Steve Harris to Adolf Hitler, saying it's Steve Harris' band and it's all money money money, and that nobody else counts, finishing off with " you need to take drugs to be in Iron Maiden cos they're all so (censored) boring.

I found this very informative, back in the day when Maiden were breaking it big DiAnno was sacked, he'd made two albums with them, one the debut one which is one fantastic piece of HM even today, the second was the Killers album, again a good spin on the deck but this one got panned by the over expecting critics of the time, it wasn't as raw as the 1st one so it got the old what a load of carp label, anyway Paul then gets sacked, supposedly for smoking too much and doing drugs, at the time the band wouldn't speak about it and just wished him luck for the future, anyway back to the DiAnno comments, at the time Steve Harris kept on stating that they weren't in it for the money and all they cared about was the fans, yeah right Steve, want me to show you my collection of your records that made it out on every format going and in 3 different editions, knowing the avid fan would buy the same single many times to keep up with having the set, it was at the point that Aces High was released I gave up and settled for listening to it on the Powerslave album instead, it was such a blatant pocket milking excercise it wasn't true, come forward in time and I meet Paul at one of his gigs being played by one of his many incarnations, the guy likes a drink, Guiness iirc, but I saw no evidence of drug use that night and I also found a guy who had one hand on it all and knew it had slipped past him, but looking at his comment's in the mag I'd say he's pretty well spot on, and as for the boring bit, we were all sold on the rock n' roll lifestyle the band were supposed to follow, this again I think was inflated and would back Paul up, if you look at them now they are all 50+ and still look fit and looked after, if the sort of things that the press got fed were true they'd neither be able to run across the stage like they do or be so tight as a unit.

A few other things to note as well regarding the forming of what you see as Iron Maiden now is that Bruce's former band Samson played Reading Rock Festival that year and low and behold Bruce becomes Maiden's vocal soon afterwards, Niko played on the Maiden Killers tour with a French band called Trust in 81, nothing underhand there though, and I saw Janick with the Ian Gillan Band, again nothing in it him joining, but then we get to the day Bruce wants out, all over the radio promoted by Steve Wright on radio one is a band called Wolfsbane, fronted by Blaze Bailey, soon after Wolfsbane is no more and he's Maiden's 3rd Vocal, only to be hoofed out 2 cd's later because sales had fallen off, Blaze never had a very good voice but still made a decent effort of the cd's he sang on, he suited Wolfsbane but in Maiden his style was alien to what the Maiden sound was, so then it's back to get Bruce back in again, and if you were a fly on the wall I bet there was some begging went on that day, and if Paul Samson was still alive I bet he's be just as annoyed with Steve Harris as Paul DiAnno appears to be, I bet he feels better for it now though, it's only taken 27 years of holding it in before he's come out and said exactly what he felt inside.

Opinions?
    Last edited by VauxVeteran; 3rd July 2009 at 04:07.

'I haven’t lost my marbles, they’re in a bag somewhere? .. '
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Too heavy for me ...........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no no

Thread Information