12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

If I keep driving on this DMF which rattles like a goodun but only when idling and even then not 100% of the time will it eventually just die and the car become undriveable forcing the DMF change (best to do clutch at the same time I guess)..?

The reason I ask is I was considering getting the AA breakdown cover that had an extra (at an extra £65 ish) for parts an labour warranty up to £500 per claim.. (5 claims allowed in one year). Therefore If I drive the car until one day the clutch/dmf fail and cannot drive it then they will pay the first £500 of the bill which is basically half.. Now 500 notes is a decent sum in anybodies book and must be worth considering, however if the car just keeps going and the DMF does not deteriorate to a level where you can no longer drive it then its not really worth considering for that reason alone..

btw the engine is z20net with 48K on it so far..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW e92 335d

Trim : M Sport

Engine : 3.0 TT

Year : 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_nige View Post
    ...However I was wondering if anybody has every used one of these Mr Clutch places as they offer a two year or 20,000 mile warranty on their clutches/work... I have not had a quote fromthem either as they are shut at the moment..

Don't go near them!

Seriously, I've read more horror stories about them than good...tend to be things that they break in the process of changing the clutch. Apparently they train their mechanics at London Zoo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_nige View Post
    will it eventually just die and the car become undriveable forcing the DMF change
    I just had the DMF go but it was still driveable but with a lot of vibration/resonance through the whole car. I think the internal spring/rubber snapped but there is still a sort of fail safe mechanism that prevents the two parts from spinning freely. Luckily car was still under warranty and they even replaced the clutch.

Jaap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had one in bits, the one I removed from my car and there's no fail safe mechanism, the plastic bush wears which causes axial play in the flywheel assembly. This axial play in turn allows the rivet heads to wear away that hold the complete assembly together, which is the noise and vibration you experience. When the rivets are completely worn down, the whole thing falls apart goes out of balance and bang would probably destroy the gearbox. Have a look at the piccys on my thread of the flywheel in bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bygumlad View Post
    I've had one in bits, the one I removed from my car and there's no fail safe mechanism, the plastic bush wears which causes axial play in the flywheel assembly. This axial play in turn allows the rivet heads to wear away that hold the complete assembly together, which is the noise and vibration you experience. When the rivets are completely worn down, the whole thing falls apart goes out of balance and bang would probably destroy the gearbox. Have a look at the piccys on my thread of the flywheel in bits.
    Good info. Mine probably failed in a different way because there was no noise or indication it was about to go. It felt like something slipped in the drivetrain and from there on a lot of vibration could be felt which made the whole car resonate like no dampening was provided anymore by the DMF. By the way I have a2.2i petrol.

Jaap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Didn't realise the petrol version had a dual mass flywheel. You learn something everyday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

cheers for the info lads... am still unsure whether its worth paying extra and getting this extra AA parts and labour breakdown cover on my ride. After a long phone call with them it seems it covers everything but the tyres and wheels.. If i don't get it and the dmf fails 100% leaving me with being recovered and a £1k bill to pay I will be gutted.. I guess an extra £65 for this extra cover is a worthwhile gamble in case it fails they will pay £500..

w**.theaa.com/breakdowncover/brc_info.html

I am slowly talking myself into this.. I know I am going to need to this work doing along with the tensioners and belt to stop the infamous stuttering sound under 2000rpm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default aa

i am with the aa and my clutch is on way out i rang them today to claim and the put me in touch with garage what i have to pay for it to be looked at.then if it is the clutch aa will only pay £300 towards parts no labour or extras and you have to go to a garage they send you to and the ones they gave me are very expensive.so make sure you check all details because i have same insurance and not worth it in the end .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The bits are 414 quid trade from euro car parts (genuine LUK) and it takes 5.2 hours to do (book time) although saying that I can do them in 4.5 hours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information