Thread: 2nd intercooler??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2nd intercooler??

i was just wondering instead of changing the intercooler on my 2.0t for a biger one (standard ones have a large surface area anyway) could i not add a smaller fancy one in replacement of he lower grill and connect it up so the air travels through both of them or would this be to much for the turbo to fill with air?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice idea, but you will lose too much boost pressure. You will end up losing power, and as the original intercooler sits in the middle of the A/C condenser and water rad, you'll end up starving the original intercooler and water rad of cold air as the air will have to pass intercooler one, A/C condensor Intercooler two then water rad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What's your line of thought mate...why do want/need to change the intercooler anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Nice idea, but you will lose too much boost pressure. You will end up losing power, and as the original intercooler sits in the middle of the A/C condenser and water rad, you'll end up starving the original intercooler and water rad of cold air as the air will have to pass intercooler one, A/C condensor Intercooler two then water rad.
    if it's done properly then you won't loose anything. You don't loose boost pressure. S3 is a car that springs to mind with 2 intercoolers. To be honest on anything modest with the vectra it'd be a waste of time though.
    Last edited by lee866; 1st July 2009 at 22:01.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by lee866 View Post
    if it's done properly then you won't loose anything. You don't loose boost pressure. S3 is a car that springs to mind with 2 intercoolers. To be honest on anything modest with the vectra it'd be a waste of time though.
    Your forgetting your increasing the volume. Small profile tyre with 30 psi will compress less than big fat tyre with 30psi in there. Nothing wrong with 2 intercoolers other than what mav said about cooling efficiency but really you would need the first and second inter-cooler to add up to the same volume as just 1 larger one, unless your changing the turbo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    Your forgetting your increasing the volume. Small profile tyre with 30 psi will compress less than big fat tyre with 30psi in there. Nothing wrong with 2 intercoolers other than what mav said about cooling efficiency but really you would need the first and second inter-cooler to add up to the same volume as just 1 larger one, unless your changing the turbo.
    Whats increasing volume got to do with pressure? 15 psi is 15 psi weather you have one or 3 intercoolers.

Obviously hows it's carried out is important and putting one in front of the other would be pointless.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

The larger the volume the longer it takes to create the boost. Imagine no inter cooler just a small pipe to manifold. It wouldn't take long to get that upto pressure, now turn that pipe into 60 litre pipe and it would take an age to get it up to pressure. i know the volumes are completely different but the principle is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    The larger the volume the longer it takes to create the boost. Imagine no inter cooler just a small pipe to manifold. It wouldn't take long to get that upto pressure, now turn that pipe into 60 litre pipe and it would take an age to get it up to pressure. i know the volumes are completely different but the principle is the same.
    There not the same. Theres a difference between how long something takes to get to pressure and losing pressure due to volume

I don't know how much a z20net makes on boost but i doubt it's more than 1bar and 2 intercoolers wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of coming on boost but seems quite pointless. A single decent fmic would be fine imo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well i think the z20net is normally around 8-9psi boost, but mine is running at 18-19psi so i have the extra boost there, and i dont think it would be pointless as the air would pass through the standard intercooler and the temp would drop by a certain amount and then through the new one which is right at he front and then would surely drop some more, i dont think it would effect the cool air reaching the a/c and water rad to much as the top grill still offers good cooling for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

S3 is different, it has a small standard intercooler, and it also produces a hell of a lot more boost.

The standard S3's intercooler is about a 3rd smaller than the Vectra Intercooler.

But you can't change the laws of physics, blow in a drinking staw and you can easily maintain a level of pressure, blow in a hose pipe, which has a bigger area and you'll never be able to blow to create the same pressure. This is what will happen with two intercoolers.

Whats increasing volume got to do with pressure? 15 psi is 15 psi weather you have one or 3 intercoolers.

Obviously hows it's carried out is important and putting one in front of the other would be pointless.
    Yes your right, but read above, If the area in which your blowing the pressurised air increase's, IE Volume, the pressure will drop.

If your using a pump to create 15psi of pressure, if you increase the size of the pipe your using, your pump will need to work harder to maintain that 15PSi.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information